America’s best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies

RazeG3SG1

This is something ALL the car manufactures have done for many years.  VW is the first I know of doing this, followed by I think BMW and then all of them jumped on board with this including the Japanese.  The issue is that with all the efforts to make cars quiet to drive, the engine noises have been diminished to the point they can't be heard.  The answer was to place a sound tube with an opening next to the exhaust manifold that sent the sounds in to the passenger compartment.  Then that was changed to a microphone in later years and now it's just sounds the stereo makes from files stored on a chip.

I think the main driver of this with Ford and VW, for sure, is the fact that they're downsizing all of their engines and using turbochargers. Now, any gearhead here will know what the problem is right away, turbocharging a car muffles the exhaust, pretty severely. Watch this one minute clip comparing the 2013 F1 cars, to the new, turbocharged 2014 models. 

This is the issue for most 'economical' brands, higher end luxury brands use the tech to different effect; to purposely muffle and dampen the sound.

Btw I'm happy to see that many of you understand what's going on. Nobody is cheating or lying to their customers, the story is a complete misunderstanding, probably unethical, considering there was absolutely no effort made to verify what was actually happening. A single google search, or email/phone call to any of these companies would have resulted in a perfectly clear explanation. Journalism 2015, what a grand state of affairs.

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

I think the main driver of this with Ford and VW, for sure, is the fact that they're downsizing all of their engines and using turbochargers. Now, any gearhead here will know what the problem is right away, turbocharging a car muffles the exhaust, pretty severely. Watch this one minute clip comparing the 2013 F1 cars, to the new, turbocharged 2014 models. 

This is the issue for most 'economical' brands, higher end luxury brands use the tech to different effect; to purposely muffle and dampen the sound.

Btw I'm happy to see that many of you understand what's going on. Nobody is cheating or lying to their customers, the story is a complete misunderstanding, probably unethical, considering there was absolutely no effort made to verify what was actually happening. A single google search, or email/phone call to any of these companies would have resulted in a perfectly clear explanation. Journalism 2015, what a grand state of affairs.

Wow the sound difference... Anyway, I just think that this is kinda interesting thus I shared the post.

I honestly hate engine noise, I'd rather have a completely silent car. Which is why I love Teslas, they are quiet, have instant torque and cost new to nothing to charge.

Why the Ford hate? The 2014 Fusion is easily worth $10,000 more than its MSRP. (Speaking from experience)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I honestly hate engine noise, I'd rather have a completely silent car. Which is why I love Teslas, they are quiet, have instant torque and cost new to nothing to charge.

Why the Ford hate? The 2014 Fusion is easily worth $10,000 more than its MSRP. (Speaking rrom experience)

I agree about the Fusion, though I went for the Focus ST. Great little car, cheap, insanely fast for what it is, and I don't mind the tech they're using. I kind of love intake sound, always been a fan of the VR6 engines from VW and the Vtech from Honda.

Regarding Tesla, yeah, super weird being in one, so quiet and powerful, I plan to get one, but me and the wife are both studying full time, gotta finish our degrees, then move, so I'm hoping spring 2016, maybe the model 3 will be available by then, if not I may just shoot for a Model S, but the dual motor AWD version.

Edit: Btw, I love your quote. I'm a big time Sagan fan, I really miss him. He's probably the principle reason I fell in love with physics and built my life around studying it.

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

I agree about the Fusion, though I went for the Focus ST. Great little car, cheap, insanely fast for what it is, and I don't mind the tech they're using. I kind of love intake sound, always been a fan of the VR6 engines from VW and the Vtech from Honda.

It's my dad's company car, but even if it weren't free he'd probably buy it or another Ford.

Regarding Tesla, yeah, super weird being in one, so quiet and powerful, I plan to get one, but me and the wife are both studying full time, gotta finish our degrees, then move, so I'm hoping spring 2016, maybe the model 3 will be available by then, if not I may just shoot for a Model S, but the dual motor AWD version.

I want a Model 3 SO. BAD. but unless I stumble upon $35,000 cash during a time when I'll be preparing for college and when no one wants to insure me, it won't happen. :(

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

My Harley gets 45mpg and sounds mean as hell. Cry more you cagers! <3

In response to those who drives Tesla, shall I add another question for it?