America’s best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies

RazeG3SG1

This is kinda surprising, so owners of the cars are completely unaware of all these mods? Wow...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise/2015/01/21/6db09a10-a0ba-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html

EDIT: Added Poll

EDIT 2: If you vote Yes, why? If you vote No, why? Share your thoughts for youngsters like me who don't drive. 

Yes, provide half the story, lie, and don't even look up the history of all the vehicles that have done this for a while.

Why do you think I always buy Japanese cars? At least they keep their word.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Obviously there are mechanical ways to boost sound, such as a new air intake or a straight exhaust.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Why do you think I always buy Japanese cars? At least they keep their word.

Actually it's because people like the sound of the engine. This is happening because the EPA is being very strict, more vehicles are coming with smaller displacement engine and less cylinders (lookin' at you Stang) that don't have that 'Murican sound. Hence the audio stuff. Honestly I wouldn't care if it fakes a sound, makes me happy if I forget I'm not driving something more powerful.

This has been happening for years, take Lamborghini for example wonder why all lambos sound very similar? they all have finely tuned exhausts to get the same noise that is lamborghini famous.

IMHO if the major car manufacturers are building smaller engines out performing the larger engines but more economical who cares?

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

This has been done for ages - not just by America but by the French, German, British and probably many more for years.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I wouldn't call any Japanese automaker "trustworthy".

I would. Beats getting fake engine noises. Take the Honda K series engine. Makes good amounts of power, sounds great, and sips fuel.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i thought that this was common knowledge 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

If anyone remembers that horrible MTV show, Pimp My Ride; I believe one of the cars that got pimped had something in it so you can make the engine sound like anything from a truck to a ferrari.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Enlighten me?

Let me fix my statement - I wouldn't call any automaker to be trustworthy. They all lie somewhere in order to make money.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Let me fix my statement - I wouldn't call any automaker to be trustworthy. They all lie somewhere in order to make money.

But the American motor companies do it more severely than the Europeans and Japanese.

Well, all companies do this to a point but I getcha.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would. Beats getting fake engine noises. Take the Honda K series engine. Makes good amounts of power, sounds great, and sips fuel.

Let's all forget the Japanese car makers' recall as only GM has those.

One word: EcoBoost

System: Thinkpad T460

Let's all forget the Japanese car makers' recall as only GM has those.

One word: EcoBoost

Worst idea of an engine ever.

Worst idea of an engine ever.

Yeah, no..

You'd be raving if it was made by Honda....

How is it a "bad idea"? Or do you just make generalizations based on bias?

He does. Twin Turbo V6 would make all Asian car nuts go mad. "Oh my god it's so powerful and uses so little fuel!"

Sorry, I have first hand experience with the engine, it's fucking great.

So is people that stupid that buys into the 'more sound more powah' ?

These are the vehicles drastically increasing noise pollution, and all this time they could have done the same thing quieter? This is a serious problem in cities and people doesn't even care.

So is people that stupid that buys into the 'more sound more powah' ?

These are the vehicles drastically increasing noise pollution, and all this time they could have done the same thing quieter? This is a serious problem in cities and people doesn't even care.

Most people don't mind fake engines noises truth be told. Sounds fast, is fast. Why do you think fart cans are so popular?

Most people don't mind fake engines noises truth be told. Sounds fast, is fast. Why do you think fart cans are so popular?

It's a concept idea, but noise pollution is a real problem and does affect us human beings. Not everyone is well informed on it.

A car fan would surely love that his engine resembles the one from a race car, but in the logical thinking, it's the same that saying: Woah hear those loud fans on your PC! You sure have an impressive workstation!. Just because the noise resembles to the noise of a server rack.

"Oh my god it's so powerful and uses so little fuel!"

Or "Oh my gawd, how did they get so much power from a tiny 1 liter. Leave it to the brilliant Japanese"

System: Thinkpad T460