Samsung to drop Qualcomm chip (810) because it overheats

ahhming

Samsung appears to have ditched Qualcomm for the upcoming Galaxy S flagship. According to Bloomberg, the company will use its own silicon instead.

Samsung tested the Snapdragon 810, but the SoC overheated during testing and eventually the decision was made to drop it.

this might be a massive hit for qualcomm but i personally would like other SOC to be dominant.

source:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-20/samsung-said-to-drop-qualcomm-chip-from-next-galaxy-smartphone.html

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7865121/samsung-galaxy-s6-no-snapdragon-810-report

The page no longer exists.

I kind of doubt it's true though. There are already a few other companies making phones with it, and I'm sure it went through the same testing with them.

I think it's more likely that Samsung finally has the power to produce enough Exynos chips to supply all it's phones, and it's sorted out the modem issues it once had.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

links to a 404 page. Maybe it is false or something. So im assuming that the next galaxy phone, would just only the exynos processor then...

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

links to a 404 page. Maybe it is false or something. So im assuming that the next galaxy phone, would just only the exynos processor then...

I kind of doubt it's true though. There are already a few other companies making phones with it, and I'm sure it went through the same testing with them.

I think it's more likely that Samsung finally has the power to produce enough Exynos chips to supply all it's phones, and it's sorted out the modem issues it once had.

fixed, had a space at the end

This is good news even though I'm not really fond of Samsung, I'm not fond of Qualcomm either. Their soc in the HP Touchpad was garbage, although it overclocks pretty nicely. Their Killer networking E2205 in my motherboard is a piece of garbage- I had to uninstall their major selling point (the software) in order to get stable internet and to prevent my chromecast from being blocked by their software. 80x has never been impressive to me. 

Anyways, more competition is good. This year may be the year where Samsung SOCs take off, and possibly the return of nVidia chips.

Could be because of Samsung's inept ability to work with premium materials. Although aluminum is a much better at heat dissipation.

In either case, I hope Qualcomm gets some competition in this space. Even though Apple makes superior chips, they don't sell their designs to 3rd parties. We need people like Samsung, Intel, and Nvidia to get things going. 

lol did they overclock it too far or something?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Actually, the Samsung mobile division has had the option of changing their SoC for a while now. The exynos chips have had a 4G modem for while. They could've done it for the Galaxy S5 and Note 4. However, Samsung is not that vertically integrated as everyone says. I've read somewhere that the mobile division, the one who actually makes phones, does some market research before ordering any component, and if a competitor brand cand offer a better price/performance ratio than their own division, they go with their product. So it seems Qualcomm has offered a better deal than the Exynos division . They limited Exynos usage only to some limited markets to keep themselves in the game, you know, like a backup plan, which they now need, since Qualcomm has seemingly screwed up.

Personally, I'm not too fond of this decision. Exynos chips have had historically very little documentation and only seldom kernel source code releases. This means it's much harder to make custom ROMs for them and get rid of the awful touchwiz.

I'm not fond of Qualcomm either. Their soc in the HP Touchpad was garbage, although it overclocks pretty nicely.

Oh come on. Holding a grudge against a company because one of their products 4 years ago was bad is silly.

I am not sure what to believe. It makes sense that Samsung would want to move their phones over to their own chips. It would be nice if Qualcomm got a competitor in the high end space but Qualcomm seems to have had the better chips than Samsung for the past ~3 years. Maybe that has changed with the 810.

Oh come on. Holding a grudge against a company because one of their products 4 years ago was bad is silly.

I am not sure what to believe. It makes sense that Samsung would want to move their phones over to their own chips. It would be nice if Qualcomm got a competitor in the high end space but Qualcomm seems to have had the better chips than Samsung for the past ~3 years. Maybe that has changed with the 810.

Well when nvidia had the bright idea of trying to put Tegra 4 into phones i immediatly though of my One X with its Tegra 3 processor. 

Because everybody knows how well that went. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Samsung should move to Intel's Atom or better Nvidia Tegra X1 for their next flagship phones

Actually, if you think about it, this is a clue as to whether Samsung is planning on using an aluminum body for their next phone, if they are, then 810 isn't as hot as it seems because heat is more noticeable through metal than plastic. If they are using a plastic construction still, then the 810 must run extremely hot, especially at the clock speeds that Samsung likes to have.

Samsung should move to Intel's Atom or better Nvidia Tegra X1 for their next flagship phones

tegra x1 uses too much power for phones its a tablet processor

Could be because of Samsung's inept ability to work with premium materials. Although aluminum is a much better at heat dissipation.

In either case, I hope Qualcomm gets some competition in this space. Even though Apple makes superior chips, they don't sell their designs to 3rd parties. We need people like Samsung, Intel, and Nvidia to get things going. 

Just so you know, aluminum isn't a premium material. It's a cheap metal. And durability wise, is worse than plastic, makes the phone heavier and more expensive to manufacture(well, probably doesn't make a difference on what consumer pays, just lowers their profit)

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

On the plus side, they will have to add in an actual dac/amp instead of the integrated one in qualcomm chips. The Exynos version of the S4 (idk bout S5) had a wolfson dac..if only they would add one to the US version too.

This is good news even though I'm not really fond of Samsung, I'm not fond of Qualcomm either. Their soc in the HP Touchpad was garbage, although it overclocks pretty nicely. Their Killer networking E2205 in my motherboard is a piece of garbage- I had to uninstall their major selling point (the software) in order to get stable internet and to prevent my chromecast from being blocked by their software. 80x has never been impressive to me. 

Anyways, more competition is good. This year may be the year where Samsung SOCs take off, and possibly the return of nVidia chips.

What? You don't like Qualcomm because of the Soc they made 4 years ago? And the 80x series is faster than their competition so what's not impressive?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Ahh no, I always hated exynos processor there GPUs weren't impressive.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just so you know, aluminum isn't a premium material. It's a cheap metal. And durability wise, is worse than plastic, makes the phone heavier and more expensive to manufacture(well, probably doesn't make a difference on what consumer pays, just lowers their profit)

I think you have that backwards.

Samsung probably using the cheap plastic back cover like all its other phones.

I think you have that backwards.

Nope. Aluminum is soft. Its alot easier to dent the back of my ipad air then it is to dent my note 3.  Aluminum backs are stupid, the note 4 has the best balance, aluminum sides and a plastic back.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

What? You don't like Qualcomm because of the Soc they made 4 years ago? And the 80x series is faster than their competition so what's not impressive?

Their competition is the A7 and A8, both are better in every way but graphics off screen. I also stated that I don't like the nic that they make in my motherboard.... way to ignore that

Nope. Aluminum is soft. Its alot easier to dent the back of my ipad air then it is to dent my note 3.  Aluminum backs are stupid, the note 4 has the best balance, aluminum sides and a plastic back.

Airplanes are built primarily from Aluminum because of both its strength and its lightness. Just because it dents doesn't make it weak; that's a property of most metals- they are malleable. Plastic might be something that you like, but it's also very bad for the environment. Many nations are trying to move away from plastic (some nations or regions charge extra for the use of plastic bags at grocery markets for example).

Edit: I should also add that both the iPhone 5 and 5s' body are composed of primarily aluminum and both are one of the most rigid and durable phones.