Steam reviews get the "funny" button

StingBull

f3ggn6.jpg

Anyone who reads the Steam reviews on any game knows that top reviews are not actually reviews but are always one crappy joke repeated by a bunch unfunny people. This is the problem with user curated content, there is no  guarantee of quality. This being the internet, rather than liking good reviews people just give a million likes to memes and references instead.

Unfortunately this means Steam reviews are about as useful as YouTube comments. It seems Valve is trying to fix the issue. There is now a "funny" button next to like and dislike buttons. No detail is given on how this is suppose to work. Presumably funny reviews will go down in the listing but again, the same problem, this system relies upon people clicking on "funny" rather than "like" when they see a dumb joke review. They will probably not do that.

We cannot know if that's even how it is suppose to work. There is very little info out about the whole thing, Valve is yet to say anything. I hope Valve can manage to fix this mess. I hate the stupid, unfunny "joke" reviews and I always dislike every single one I see. I hate the fact that because of them we never get to read people who spent actual effort writing their reviews.

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/statuses/555318810547585025
http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2sdrhq/valve_has_addedare_adding_a_funny_review_button/

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

YES. THANK YOU VALVE. TAKE MY BABIES!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Now they just need an outdated button.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

When will they fix their client so the buying experience isn't so bad....

What's wrong with the buying experience? Did they change something recently? I've never had the problem, the client has always been more than willing to eat my money in exchange for entertainment.

Remember when tags were added? Not a game ect, I can see Steam further devolving where le edgy dank maymay reviews will flood over any useful ones.

No. It is a useless feature. We don't want people trying to overrun games with "funny" reviews. I want a good review, not half baked jokes trying to earn the most "funny" clicks.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I see your funny and give you a like instead op

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

What's wrong with the buying experience? Did they change something recently? I've never had the problem, the client has always been more than willing to eat my money in exchange for entertainment.

It makes buying multiple copies of anything difficult and buying many items of stuff insanely frustrating.

The add to cart button dosnt even work as it should. It should add a product to the cart. Not take you to it and say "this is literally what you just added."

It makes buying multiple copies of anything difficult and buying many items of stuff insanely frustrating.

The add to cart button dosnt even work as it should. It should add a product to the cart. Not take you to it and say "this is literally what you just added."

Why would you want to do that anyways?

Thank you valve, now please allow us to post whatever tags we want on a game. If the preorder is not worth it, or there are other glaring problems we want other people to know about, we shouldn't have to buy the game so we can post a negative review.

No. It is a useless feature. We don't want people trying to overrun games with "funny" reviews. I want a good review, not half baked jokes trying to earn the most "funny" clicks.

You are never going to get a good selection of reviews from users. It doesn't matter what Steam does, that won't change. It's true on every popular site that allows user reviews, especially for video games. The tiny amount of good ones will always get hidden under a mountain of worthless shit.

You are never going to get a good selection of reviews from users. It doesn't matter what Steam does, that won't change. It's true on every popular site that allows user reviews, especially for video games. The tiny amount of good ones will always get hidden under a mountain of worthless shit.

Actually, whenever I have looked into Steam reviews, I usually find some pretty good ones. I'll admit I don't do it a lot so maybe I just saw something out of the ordinary

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

To be honest the only thing steam reviews ever will be good for is gauging public opinion of a game, rather than getting unbiased in depth reviews.  

To be honest the only thing steam reviews ever will be good for is gauging public opinion of a game, rather than getting unbiased in depth reviews.  

Public opinion? In some cases. Though with a lot of games it's the opinion of random Youtube personality or some random hate/love campaign from Reddit or somewhere based on some silly BS.

Public opinion? In some cases. Though with a lot of games it's the opinion of random Youtube personality or some random hate/love campaign from Reddit or somewhere based on some silly BS.

Yeah that's true. Still though bad games (or games with lots of problems) generally get shat on while okay ones get left alone, but as you said, its not precise by any standard.       

this is be fun!

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

When will they fix their client so the buying experience isn't so bad....

How is it bad ?????

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650