AMD Says GPUs and CPUs Are Its Top Priority. Wants APUs to Talk to GPUs

MattDaemontools

The general manager of AMD's computing and graphics business unit revealed some fascinating information in a recent interview.

Featured-3-AMD.jpg

The AMD executive states that AMD is actively working on making APUs and GPUs talk to each other beyond simple dual graphics for better performance.

Where I want to then go is … if there’s 300 million processors and 90 million graphics chips sold per year, I want our technologies to be talking to each other. If my APU and discrete GPU can talk to one another, that gives me a true advantage that our competitors can’t do. We call that A plus A. That’s where we’re spending a lot of our resources and talent.

AMD also states they do care very much about x86 CPU performance, in fact it's one of their top priorities. The GM also talked about AMD's new found interest in software and emphasized the importance of GPU drivers giving the recent AMD Catalyst Omega driver as an example. According to the GM the new restructuring and cost cutting efforts were done to secure more fund to go into research and development.

We protected the road map. Nothing came off the road map, which is important. We protected R&D. I wanted us spending more, especially on software. Our hardware has always been good. I want to continue to work on our software optimization. There’s still hiring going on in key technical areas and other parts of the business.

These are excerbs from the interview which you can find in the full article. AMD also talked about Carrizo, virtual reality and working on next generation "leadership" graphics products among other things.

Well they better come at out with some new CPUs then instead of just releasing more with just different clock speeds

That's why their last high end release was three years ago.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the future. As in with the new Zen core by the legendary Jim Keller.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the future. As in with the new Zen core by the legendary Jim Keller.

I'm not sold on AMD's claims. I won't forget the hype that they created with Bulldozer and promptly disappointed a lot of people with subpar performance with higher power draw. I also found Hawaii to be somewhat disappointing, particularly with building up hype.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm not sold on AMD's claims. I won't forget the hype that they created with Bulldozer and promptly disappointed a lot of people with subpar performance with higher power draw. I also found Hawaii to be somewhat disappointing, particularly with building up hype.

Company's don't really create hype, it's the people, the fans and media that do.

AMD's previous CEO Rory Read admitted that Bulldozer was a failure, even though it was not conceived under his tenure. He brought in Mark Papermaster who in turn brought in Jim Keller the designer of the first ever 64bit x86 CPU and the original Athlons that beat out intel. He knows what he's doing.

Bulldozer aside, Hawaii was a phenomenal success for AMD. It was smaller, better performing and more capable for professional compute applications than the GTX Titan, yet it was prices at half. Even a year later it was still going strong.

Company's don't really create hype, it's the people, the fans and media that do.

Bulldozer aside, Hawaii was a phenomenal success for AMD. It was smaller, better performing and more capable for professional compute applications than the GTX Titan, yet it was prices at half. Even a year later it was still going strong.

Hawaii's power draw is awful. AMD's been succeeding in compute applications for a while now.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Hawaii's power draw is awful. AMD's been succeeding in compute applications for a while now.

Only it actually isn't awful at all. In fact it's the most power efficient professional GPU in the world, Topping the Green500 list. And in gaming it's marginally (20-30W) behind the competition.

xodeXUu.png

i0CMSBs.png

2QOfX3G.png

http://www.techspot.com/review/885-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-gtx-980/page7.html

The general manager of AMD's computing and graphics business unit revealed some fascinating information in a recent interview.

Featured-3-AMD.jpg

The AMD executive states that AMD is actively working on making APUs and GPUs talk to each other beyond simple dual graphics for better performance.

AMD also states they do care very much about x86 CPU performance, in fact it's one of their top priorities. The GM also talked about AMD's new found interest in software and emphasized the importance of GPU drivers giving the recent AMD Catalyst Omega driver as an example. According to the GM the new restructuring and cost cutting efforts were done to secure more fund to go into research and development.

These are excerbs from the interview which you can find in the full article. AMD also talked about Carrizo, virtual reality and working on next generation "leadership" graphics products among other things.

I hope they keep up the good work, because playing WoW at 100ish FPS on Ultra at 3200x1800 downsample, or NFS Rivals at 1440p/60FPS on my R9 290 is freakin awesome. Love this new software.

CPU's is where they need some major gains and time will tell if they can deliver. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

That would make sense if its performance is high in those areas, and it is. In addition, the 290X Uber pulls 22% more power than the GTX 970 and 20% more power than the GTX 980.

Here we go again..the never ending debate over Hawaii's power draw. Unbeliveable.

They really gotta stop rereleasing old tech

Dude , GCN and amd APU-s are cutting edge.

Here we go again..the never ending debate over Hawaii's power draw. Unbeliveable.

That's why I stopped taking part in these discussions.  There are too many dickheads that fanboy so hard it's impossible to be realistic or have an opinion without pages of graphs and assumptions being thrown at you.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's why I stopped taking part in these discussions.  There are too many dickheads that fanboy so hard it's impossible to be realistic or have an opinion without pages of graphs and assumptions being thrown at you.

agreed!

Nothing against AMD... but they do love to hype their products, it's not just the media :)

example: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/219048-update-2-amd-making-an-announcement-on-september-25thyou-aint-seen-nothing-yet/

I fully agree with the rest of your post. Honestly I'm waiting for AMD to pull a trick out of their hat like they did when they released the first 64 bit Athlons way back. 

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Stop making your hardware talk, just inject it with steroids and everyone will be happy

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

That would make sense if its performance is high in those areas, and it is. In addition, the 290X Uber pulls 22% more power than the GTX 970 and 20% more power than the GTX 980.

The 970 and 980 were released over a year later, it would be pretty embarrassing if they weren't better. The Hawaii power draw is about the same as Kepler (measured personally) so if you want to say one's a power hog, you have to say it for the other too.

While I like AMD gpu offerings, i hate their cpus and apus. What I'm not digging atm is the whole product ecosystem AMD is trying to develop. If i wanted this type of setup, i would only use apple products. I'm very cautious of amd going forward

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

If they can get something to compete against the top i5s, probably not power efficiency, but hopefully better efficincy and more processing power, then that won't be all that bad.

Lisa Su seems like she wants to run a tight ship where hype is no longer created in massive quantities even by their own PR. Which appears to be working as we know dog squat about Volcanic Islands or Carrizo. She's doing such a good job that everything thinks AMD is a sinking ship.  :lol:

Only it actually isn't awful at all. In fact it's the most power efficient professional GPU in the world, Topping the Green500 list. And in gaming it's marginally (20-30W) behind the competition.

http://www.techspot.com/review/885-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-gtx-980/page7.html

Any AC/DC efficiency details for the cards? A 970 sitting at 50% AC/DC efficiency and a 290 at 90% AC/DC efficiency would pretty much explain the 20-30W difference.

The 970 and 980 were released over a year later, it would be pretty embarrassing if they were't better. The Hawaii power draw is about the same as Kepler (measured personally) so if you want to say one's a power hog, you have to say it for the other too.

The person I was replying to mentioned "the competition." Then they whipped out numbers of 20-30 watts. A direct reference to Maxwell.

Lisa Su seems like she wants to run a tight ship where hype is no longer created in massive quantities even by their own PR. Which appears to be working as we know dog squat about Volcanic Islands or Carrizo. She's doing such a good job that everything thinks AMD is a sinking ship.  :lol:

yeah the silence is just as bad.