Obama calls for end to 19 state laws that harm community broadband

Lightning

It's called the "Imperial Presidency", and is a pretty old idea -- basically Americans tend to associate laws and policy with the president, when he often has had no say in the process.

The president has some effective power through executive actions, but those are very limited in scope and cannot influence policies nationwide.

Unless they find another source of revenue, which is what they're looking into right now. In any case, the amount of extra money you would be paying in taxes would be pretty small, certainly less than the value of having a better-educated citizenry. Also, you already pay for the education of many others -- state universities and federal grants all use your tax money.

We could take the money for that out of congress's pay, sounds like a better use of that money to me.

And while I applaud this move by the president, I also know nothing is likely to come of it. I think more and more people are starting to see that the President isn't the only problem we have, congress and the courts are becoming just as much of a problem.

I think it's about time to do some house cleaning, fire all of them, come up with better rules governing elected officials behaviors, make it illegal for them to change the rules governing their behavior, etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why do you call him president if he can only 'try'?

Your lawmakers seem indifferent about an obvious problem in the country.

America you so funny.

Because lying is common practice in American politics.

So hes just a policeman? It must be quite sad to be in that position, being unable to make changes but taking all the blame when shit happens.

Apologies for my ignorance. I'm not American so don't worry Obama.

http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/federal.shtml

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Sorry, internet only works in gigabit.

Gigabyte would be 1 terabit connection and that is insane but surely coming in 10-15 years if hardware can improve that much lol.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yay, won't happen though.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

And people say Obama is a cancer of a president.

I honestly hear it for every new President we get. "Oh he's terrible." *Next President comes by* "Why did these asshats vote for him?" Same thing President after President.

Also, the gif that describes how I felt after reading as I get 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up...

NH0zEjj.gif

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

You know this how?

It's Obama, I just don't trust him.. Didn't trust bush that much either... Like him over Obama though.

Wish I could get 300mbps down and 100mbps up, I get 200mbps down and 20mbps up.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Before anyone starts cheering our President. It got his attention for a reason to either help America or to make the demo's look good for the up coming elections in 2 years. I for see a huge tax advantage for the government in this. Me myself like the fact that this is getting some attention to the ISP's. Yes the shot has been fired across the bow of the USA ISP's.. Anyhow do not count the chickens before they hatch here. I for see treachery in the mix here. WE SHALL SEE.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

BTW what do you guys pay for such high speed I been seeing 100meg ,200 and 300. I myself pay almost 45 a month for only 10 in my area and im not too far from Chattanooga.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Now let the hate on President Obama subside a little

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Sorry, internet only works in gigabit.

he meant 8Gbps(1 GBps)

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

This is why I get disappointed when states or countries make laws for a certain industry or something and I shake my head thinking "dont you understand that first in the future that could be terrible for businesses and hurt them and how hard it is to actually get laws repealed? No of course not. You're a bunch of idiots that think in present tense and want people to feel good now." Yet, this happens all the time in history and these idiots that are in government making laws dont get it. It can often be better to not make a law then try to fix or make things better with laws.

The service provider for Chattanooga Fiber is EPB Fiber Optics, the only downside is bad TV selection.

$57.99 for 100Mb/s [Nothing else added]

$69.99 for 1Gb/s [Nothing else added]

They want you to buy a package and don't openly advertise solo internet.

www.epbfi.com

I live right outside the Chattanooga area and the only options are Comcast and Winstream. There was some sort of deal with the state that only they can sell cable and dsl respectively. From what I remember off the top of my head it will be 2030 before that contract is over.

Lord of Helium.

Gigabyte would be 1 terabit connection and that is insane but surely coming in 10-15 years if hardware can improve that much lol.

There are 8 bits in a byte, so:

1 gigabyte = 8 gigabit.

1 terabit = 1,000 gigabit (125 gigabyte)

Gigabyte is MUCH MUCH less than terabit.

1 gigabyte = 8 gigabit.

It is but when u have 1gigaBIT connection (they advertise in bits not bytes) then your file transfer (download speed) is 100megaBYTES per second. Right?

So with 1teraBIT connection u get one 100gigaBYTE transfer speed.

So with 1gigabyte transfer service would have to be advertised as 10gigabit connection.

So your 8bit math doesnt apply.

And i was wrong too... Buy i explained and corrected my self in this post.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

He was actually trying to do the opposite. Many ISP are already in the same class as telephone services, (title 2) and he wants to convert them back to title 1,just like the FCC does.

It will make the giant isps more responsible and open up competition.

Also op, how does this "harm" community isps?

The title is pretty click-baitish..

You misread the title. Obama is trying to repeal local state laws that harm community ISP's. Many of them have local monopolies for Comcast and AT&T, and won't let new businesses even roll out any infrastructure at all.

Sadly, the problem with the free college thing is that it will just raise our taxes, making it not much cheaper for the students and making ordinary citizens pay for another's education.

That's good, actually. Taxing the people to pay for something is actually a really effective way to do it. Why? Because your taxes might go up a few percent at most, and your kids (or your neighbours kids) can then get free College. That's fucking awesome. So you might miss out on 5 cups of Starbucks per year now. Big deal! The point is that a better educated country benefits everyone, including you, even if you have no kids.

What... You're wrong. 1 terabit way way faster than 1 Gigabyte.

1 gigabyte = 8 gigabit.

This. This math is correct.

It is but when u have 1gigaBIT connection (they advertise in bits not bytes) then your file transfer (download speed) is 100megaBYTES per second. Right? Wrong Actually - @dalekphalm

So with 1teraBIT connection u get one 100gigaBYTE transfer speed.

So with 1gigabyte transfer service would have to be advertised as 10gigabit connection.

So your 8bit math doesnt apply.

And i was wrong too... Buy i explained and corrected my self in this post.

This math is wrong.

There are 8 bits per byte. Remember that basic math.

1 Gigabyte = 8 Gigabits

1 Gigabit = 125 MegaBytes (1000 Megabits / 8 = 125)

You're using Base 10 math, when you shouldn't be. Your first statement is incorrect. If you have a 1 Gigabit connection, your download speed will be (theoretically) 125 MegaBytes per second.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So The President is the same as the Queen here in the UK? Public figure that's completely powerless but has money thrown at them? okay sounds good. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

So The President is the same as the Queen here in the UK? Public figure that's completely powerless but has money thrown at them? okay sounds good. 

Well he has significantly more power than the Queen, but he's still largely bound by Congress and the Senate for anything he wants to get done - especially long term.

The whole point of the American government system is that no one person or body (eg: Congress) has too much power. There are checks and balances.

The downside? Everyone has to agree to get shit done for the most part. And as we well know, not everyone agrees.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Whats this? The USA doing something good? 

mlfw4099-Impossibru.png

Right-click. Save As...

Thank you for the laugh. Holy shit. That image! :lol:

Snip

Wasnt far from correct, ill take it :)

Wasnt far from correct, ill take it :)

What...?

You were very far from correct. It's a very important distinction.

That's like saying "Oh there are 300 days in a year... close enough". The number of days in a year is very specific and very important. Just like 1 Gigabit = 125 MegaBytes per second, not 100 Megabytes per second.