Obama calls for end to 19 state laws that harm community broadband

Lightning

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/obama-calls-for-end-to-19-state-laws-that-harm-community-broadband/

Obama realized how community broadbands like the ones in Chattanooga can compete with speeds in other countries. He wants more companies to invest like ones in Chattanooga so that it brings in more competition and get the major ISPs like comcast and time warner off their asses.

He will try to remove these restrictions in 19 states in order to improve broadband infrastructure.

Beyond those 19 state laws, there may be more restrictions on broadband that should be removed, the White House said. "The President is calling for the Federal Government to remove all unnecessary regulatory and policy barriers to broadband build-out and competition, and is establishing a new Broadband Opportunity Council of over a dozen government agencies with the singular goal of speeding up broadband deployment and promoting adoptions for our citizens," the report said.

I wish he did this sooner. He must be angry that his netflix is constantly buffering too lol

Wow this is awesome!!! you would think he would be on some sort of payroll not to do this tho :S

Wow.

This and with the sensible college financial education plan? 'Bout time.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/obama-calls-for-end-to-19-state-laws-that-harm-community-broadband/

Obama realized how community broadbands like the ones in Chattanooga can compete with speeds in other countries. He wants more companies to invest like ones in Chattanooga so that it brings in more competition and get the major ISPs like comcast and time warner off their asses.

He will try to remove these restrictions in 19 states in order to improve broadband infrastructure.

I wish he did this sooner. He must be angry that his netflix is constantly buffering too lol

You can't watch House of Cards in 4k with a shit connection. I bet that's what made him interested in changing these laws. 

sounds like some more government control, more agencies=more gov control=less privacy and freedom, did you also see Obama wants to have the FCC classify the internet under the classification of telephone industry.

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

Yes, we want fiber . . . we want fiber & a gigabit (or gigabyte) - latter would be better.

Sorry, internet only works in gigabit.

Obama doing some good things and neocons are going to badmouth it based on it's Obama alone. (kinda like how the senator from my own state actually claimed net neutrality is "ObamaCare for the internet". For everyone eslse who isn't insane or an angry ISP, this is clearly a good thing. ISPs were given free reign to do what they wanted long enough and have demonstrated they clearly can't be held accountable to deliver satisfying service.

Sorry, internet only works in gigabit.

gigabyte = 8 gigabit...? (I think that's what they meant)

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Hey maybe time warner will stop throttling 100mbs connections down to 5mbps :D

Oh, their still doing it? >.< nvm then...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

sounds like some more government control, more agencies=more gov control=less privacy and freedom, did you also see Obama wants to have the FCC classify the internet under the classification of telephone industry.

welcome to my ignore list

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Why do you call him president if he can only 'try'?

Your lawmakers seem indifferent about an obvious problem in the country.

America you so funny.

The President is in charge of the Executive branch, which is in charge of enforcing the laws. He has no powers of the Legislative branch, which creates and alters the laws. Look up how the government in the US works before criticizing it. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Whats this? The USA doing something good? 

mlfw4099-Impossibru.png

LOL but still that pic just made me go "Yep, nuff internet for today!"

Laters

-------

Current Rig

-------

The President is in charge of the Executive branch, which is in charge of enforcing the laws. He has no powers of the Legislative branch, which creates and alters the laws. Look up how the government in the US works before criticizing it. 

^^^ 

roasted

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Hopefully it will bring more competition to around the southern middle Tennessee area so I can get away from comcast or atleast make comcast take off the 300gb data cap which has  been bleeding me dry money wise. I normally go over like 150-250gb a month over the 300gb cap which sucks for my bank account.

i5-4670k 4.5 Ghz 1.25v | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | 4x4 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz | Gigabyte 980 Ti Reference 1503 Core/ 7796 Effective Memory | H100i w/stock fans | EVGA Supernova 1000w G1 | Samsung 840 120Gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM | Corsair Force LX 128Gb SSD | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | DT 990 Pro 250Ohm | Blue Snowball | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G600 | Acer H236HL BID x 3

Obama is on fire the last week.  First looking at free education at community colleges and now this action.  Way to go Obama!  Now I can only hope Harper and the rest in Canada follow what their U.S. counterparts are doing and making things better for us.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

He was actually trying to do the opposite. Many ISP are already in the same class as telephone services, (title 2) and he wants to convert them back to title 1,just like the FCC does.

It will make the giant isps more responsible and open up competition.

Also op, how does this "harm" community isps?

The title is pretty click-baitish..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Wow.

This and with the sensible college financial education plan? 'Bout time.

Sadly, the problem with the free college thing is that it will just raise our taxes, making it not much cheaper for the students and making ordinary citizens pay for another's education.

So hes just a policeman? It must be quite sad to be in that position, being unable to make changes but taking all the blame when shit happens.

It's called the "Imperial Presidency", and is a pretty old idea -- basically Americans tend to associate laws and policy with the president, when he often has had no say in the process.

The president has some effective power through executive actions, but those are very limited in scope and cannot influence policies nationwide.

Sadly, the problem with the free college thing is that it will just raise our taxes, making it not much cheaper for the students and making ordinary citizens pay for another's education.

Unless they find another source of revenue, which is what they're looking into right now. In any case, the amount of extra money you would be paying in taxes would be pretty small, certainly less than the value of having a better-educated citizenry. Also, you already pay for the education of many others -- state universities and federal grants all use your tax money.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

There are a number of things I don't like about Obama. This is not one of them. Thanks for allowing better internet.

That said, it's weird how these states have no connections with each other in a political or social context.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Props to President Obama.  What a great problem to confront!

It's cool to see him pointing out changes that people want and that will encourage market competition, but I don't like the idea of the federal government flexing it's mastery muscles over the states to fix it.  If Pres. Obama wants to encourage states to make the change or encourage congress to incentivize the change that's great, but right now I'd like more inter-state competition encouraged and less federal government meddling in everything.

-Jarro