AMD employee confirms new GPU with HBM and 300W

Kowar

You really can't count those two.

Shhhh, i was helping :(

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

so the R9 380X would be a huge glorified R9 290X on steorïd? that was expected honetly...any idea how many stream processors we are talking about here? is it based on GCN architecture or it's something new?

..t.tha.......thats like saying the 980 is just a huge glorified 780 on roids...

In fact the new architecture of the 380x arguably does more to change shiz up then the 980 does with its "world’s first 300W 2.5D discrete GPU SOC using stacked die High Bandwidth Memory and silicon interposer"

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

..t.tha.......thats like saying the 980 is just a huge glorified 780 on roids...

In fact the new architecture of the 380x arguably does more to change shiz up then the 980 does

no, the 980 is a new architecture called Maxwell and the GTX 980 with it's 2048 cuda cores actualy require 256 less cores to vastly outperform the 2304 cuda core GTX 780 and even the 2880 cuda core GTX 780ti...and it is doing so while consuming 100W less under load...that's a big improvement on technology.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I am not going to pull out all the videos that show a comparison of cpu vs gpu  in regards to this.  If you can't admit some top games look better with Nvidia then get your AMD cards and be happy.  Also be happy cooking food on them. It looks like the new one should make for a real good oven.

Oh and btw for people saying fan boy and that sort of thing my daughter was named after AMD so whatever.

Colbert_Nation_Report_Comedy_Central_tro

no, the 980 is a new architecture called Maxwell and the GTX 980 with it's 2048 cuda cores actualy require 256 less cores to vastly outperform the 2304 cuda core GTX 780 and even the 2880 cuda core GTX 780ti...and it is doing so while consuming 100W less under load...that's a big improvement on technology.

Fantastic. The 380x is also running a new architecture but it also running 3d (well 2.5d) stacked memory and in theory has an absolutely massive (and extremely fast) memory bandwidth hopefully ushering in a new age of 4k+ capable gpu tech.

Of course we wont know how the actually works out till its released...but..you know..in theory.

Hynix-HBM-15-635x490.jpg

-snip-

Lets try to not devolve this to meme posting circlejerkery :(

Lets try to not devolve this to meme posting circlejerkery :(

I think the fact that we are arguing about the importance of PhysX has already devolved this conversation beyond repair.

Fantastic. The 380x is also running a new architecture but it also running 3d (well 2.5d) stacked memory and in theory has an absolutely massive (and extremely fast) memory bandwidth hopefully ushering in a new age of 4k+ capable gpu tech.

Of course we wont know how the actually works out till its released...but..you know..in theory.

you need a good GPU to exploit fast memory, and a GPU that is running way hot and trottle down all the time is not ideal...

i'm just hoping they improve on this front and not just deliver a 290X on steroïd cause the hawaii boards where already difficult to deal with in the heat and power consumption department.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you need a good GPU to exploit fast memory, and a GPU that is running way hot and trottle down all the time is not ideal...

i'm just hoping they improve on this front and not just deliver a 290X on steroïd cause the hawaii boards where already difficult to deal with in the heat and power consumption department.

From what I recall, the only cards that throttled were the ones with stock coolers (wich rumours claim AMD will tackle this with water cooled stock cards)... so about third party coolers, what are you talking about?

so itll probably be 50 watts more power then a 980, 50 watts over an hour gaming session is an extra 180,000 joules. or the equivalent of having a 500 watt hair dryer on for 6 minutes. so that difference will probably be noticeable. if your room is particularly small or your pc has not great ventilation

From what I recall, the only cards that throttled were the ones with stock coolers (wich rumours claim AMD will tackle this with water cooled stock cards)... so about third party coolers, what are you talking about?

none it's fine with the hawaii boards it won't trottle but it throws out a lot of heat already and a beefed up 290X with like 30% extra stream processors for example and a 300W+ power consumption could really start to pause a real problem even with the best aftermarket coolers...i mean those 290X are still pushing even the windforce and vapor-X coolers to their near limit even without real GPU overclocking involved..

I'd argue otherwise, the hawaii boards even still (kinda) compete as far as pure raw performance with the 9xx series, and at resolutions higher than 1080 the 290x is generally only 10-15 fps behind despite being a year older.

as seen : 

67703.png
67713.png
67717.png

So despite what people seem to say about throttling because of heat the cards perform like monsters for the age. the 290x was rated at a 300w card so if we assume even a 20% efficiency gain to the 380x then (again in theory) the numbers for this card should be a bit insane.

I suppose until the card actually comes out I'm basically just talking out of my ass. 

We shall see.

I love when OPs dont explain what "HBM" even stands for :/

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I'd argue otherwise, the hawaii boards even still (kinda) compete as far as pure raw performance with the 9xx series, and at resolutions higher than 1080 the 290x is generally only 10-15 fps behind despite being a year older.

So despite what people seem to say about throttling because of heat the cards perform like monsters for the age. the 290x was rated at a 300w card so if we assume even a 20% efficiency gain to the 380x then (again in theory) the numbers for this card should be a bit insane.

I suppose until the card actually comes out I'm basically just talking out of my ass. 

We shall see.

No arguying that...if it was only for performance i'd pick a 290X over a 970 personaly if it wasnt for efficiency, the hawaii board perform better in general.

If they can gain a 20% efficiency like you say then this IMHO would already be very good...if they can get the card say 20% faster while using 20% less energy and sell them for only around 20% more than the 290X is going for right now...i'm buying one as a replacement for my 780..especialy if they come with 6GB of VRAM.

But i highly doubt they can achieve that. (the three 20% things i've said.)

I love when OPs dont explain what "HBM" even stands for :/

"High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) is proposed stacked DRAM memory standard from AMD and Hynix, started in 2010 and adopted by JEDEC as JESD235 in October 2013.[1] The HBM is similar but incompatible with Hybrid Memory Cube stacked memory from Micron (2011).[2] HBM is targeted for next-generation high-performance graphics accelerators (like Nvidia's Pascal[3] and AMD's Fiji) and network devices.[4]"

Wiki page on HBM

"In 2.5D stacking, two dies are flipped over and placed on top of an interposer. All of the wiring is on the interposer, making the approach less costly than 3D stacking but requiring more area. Heat dissipation is not much of a concern, since cooling mechanisms can be placed on top of the two dies. This approach is also lower cost and more flexible than 3D stacking because incorrect connections can be reworked."

WCCF write up

No arguying that...if it was only for performance i'd pick a 290X over a 970 personaly if it wasnt for efficiency, the hawaii board perform better in general.

If they can gain a 20% efficiency like you say then this IMHO would already be very good...if they can get the card say 20% faster while using 20% less energy and sell them for only around 20% more than the 290X is going for right now...i'm buying one as a replacement for my 780..especialy if they come with 6GB of VRAM.

But i highly doubt they can achieve that. (the three 20% things i've said.)

Well knowing AMD, if they can make a card that can perform like the 290x using 20% less power than a 290x they will jump push 20% more power into it and get performance past a 290x....if that round about sentence made any sense.

Which I'm super ok with. If nvidia build the 980 that would give the performance of a 780 with only half the power, then I would prefer we used the same amount of power as the 780 on the architecture and gotten more raw performance. I mean obviously its not nearly as simplistic as a 1:1 power to performance ratio but I hope i got my point across.

"High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) is proposed stacked DRAM memory standard from AMD and Hynix, started in 2010 and adopted by JEDEC as JESD235 in October 2013.[1] The HBM is similar but incompatible with Hybrid Memory Cube stacked memory from Micron (2011).[2] HBM is targeted for next-generation high-performance graphics accelerators (like Nvidia's Pascal[3] and AMD's Fiji) and network devices.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Bandwidth_Memory

Prividng full name of the shortcut improves the quality of the post :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Well knowing AMD, if they can make a card that can perform like the 290x using 20% less power than a 290x they will jump push 20% more power into it and get performance past a 290x....if that round about sentence made any sense.

Which I'm super ok with. If nvidia build the 980 that would give the performance of a 780 with only half the power, then I would prefer we used the same amount of power as the 780 on the architecture and gotten more raw performance. I mean obviously its not nearly as simplistic as a 1:1 power to performance ratio but I hope i got my point across.

Exactly.

Enthusiasts always strive for more performance and companies have to understand that since they realease models of GPUs destined ENTIRELY to that target market. If on the other hand AMD had planned to release a 290X that consumes less, Nvidia fans would laugh so hard and point out the fact that performance has stagnated for a year an a half... AND THEY WOULD BE RIGHT.

The goal here is to push out more frames on more demanding resolutions. Efficiency has to be a factor to look out for in the long run as for similar performance, this is what will be the defining difference. However, I am far more than willing to pay the 20$ more a year for a better gaming experience.

I also would have the same speach if the tables were turned. The 980 was a nice launch by NVidia since it outperformed (a bit) the 290x at a lower power consumption. However, NVidia's prices made it a bit peculiar and again, AMD's price drops made the 290X a better option. A good performance gain will ALWAYS be a winning formula. If it's a negligible performance gain, then price, power consumption and features will have to define what choice you make.

Spoiler

Prividng full name of the shortcut improves the quality of the post :)

There, hyper linked it and added another write up with some other tidbits

Exactly.

Enthusiasts always strive for more performance and companies have to understand that since they realease models of GPUs destined ENTIRELY to that target market. If on the other hand AMD had planned to release a 290X that consumes less, Nvidia fans would laugh so hard and point out the fact that performance has stagnated for a year an a half... AND THEY WOULD BE RIGHT.

The goal here is to push out more frames on more demanding resolutions. Efficiency has to be a factor to look out for in the long run as for similar performance, this is what will be the defining difference. However, I am far more than willing to pay the 20$ more a year for a better gaming experience.

Honestly I dont wanna get to far into the "fanboy" arena if we can avoid it but I cant believe nVidia isnt getting hollered at a bit more about the actual lackluster performance gains on the 9xx series. I mean i'll never argue that the efficiency gains from the 9xx series are not a technological feat but when the 290x can pull its weight when stacked up against it even though its a year old.....idk. As an enthusiast is just seems extremely lackluster.

If AMD came out with its 390x and it was only 10-15 fps better then the 780 Ti but more efficient they would get laughed off this forum.

If AMD came out with its 390x and it was only 10-15 fps better then the 780 Ti but more efficient they would get laughed off this forum.

Of course. And I would be one of them. In fact I'd be more dissapointed than happy they didn't provide since my goal is that the hardware I'm dreaming about gets built, regardless of what sticker it has on it.

Spoiler

Of course. And I would be one of them. In fact I'd be more dissapointed than happy they didn't provide since my goal is that the hardware I'm dreaming about gets built, regardless of what sticker it has on it.

I would be 100% disappointing as well. Especially in this race to higher resolutions we have...I mean as efficient as the 980 is the 295x2 performs better for cheaper at 4k resolutions (than SLI 980s)...which...is just disappointing to me.

none it's fine with the hawaii boards it won't trottle but it throws out a lot of heat already and a beefed up 290X with like 30% extra stream processors for example and a 300W+ power consumption could really start to pause a real problem even with the best aftermarket coolers...i mean those 290X are still pushing even the windforce and vapor-X coolers to their near limit even without real GPU overclocking involved..

Ok, hold on... Some of your information here is incorrect.

Here are the facts with regards to the current Hawaii based cards (290/290X):

The reference cooler is crap and barely does the job. Many reviewers saw these cards thermal throttling (running close to or at 95 degrees) during testing giving slightly lower performance than they were actually capable of.

Most 3rd party aftermarket cooled Hawaii cards handle the heat MUCH better and do not throttle nor run anywhere near the limit, with the exception of the Asus DCUII - which is Asus' own fault for half-assing the cooler from the 780 series and not giving that cooler the proper and necessary revisions.

Among the best Hawaii cards are the Powercolour PCS+, Sapphire Tri-X and Vapour-X. The Vapour-X is the best 290/X you can buy as not only does it run very quiet, but very cool as well. Check out Techshowdown's reviews on youtube of all the Hawaii cards to see for yourself.

This isn't necessarily aimed at you, i-build-nanosuits, but anyone in general... I'm so tired of people not doing proper research, jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else, making assumptions and parroting false information based on incorrect information or pulling data out of context.

"Hawaii cards all run super hot and suffer from thermal throttling! thus; heater jokes and blah blah blah" No. Only the reference cards run super hot and suffer from thermal throttling due to poor cooler design. The majority of the 3rd party cards/coolers (and the majority of those sold are 3rd party cooled) run just fine and right on par with the 780 series they directly compete with.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Ok, hold on... Some of your information here is incorrect.

The reference cooler is crap and barely does the job. Many reviewers saw these cards thermal throttling (running close to or at 95 degrees) during testing giving slightly lower performance than they were actually capable of.

Most 3rd party aftermarket cooled Hawaii cards handle the heat MUCH better and do not throttle nor run anywhere near the limit, with the exception of the Asus DCUII - which is Asus' own fault for half-assing the cooler from the 780 series and not giving that cooler the proper and necessary revisions.

Among the best Hawaii cards are the Powercolour PCS+, Sapphire Tri-X and Vapour-X. The Vapour-X is the best 290/X you can buy as not only does it run very quiet, but very cool as well.

Only the reference cards run super hot and suffer from thermal throttling due to poor cooler design. The majority of the 3rd party cards/coolers (and the majority of those sold are 3rd party cooled) run just fine and right on par with the 780 series they directly compete with.

exactly what i said, i know all that already man.

But you are just speculating and missinforming - IF THE LEAK ARE REAL, AMD managed to add more SPs (~40%), more bandwith, and managed to maintain the TDP from the previous gen (~290W): let me tell you it's a great improvement. After market coolers managed it well, on par with the 700 series temperatures - and you can use google to confirm this. And yes, they can overclock it - to what extent it will depend on several factors.

So I don't get where is the foundation for your post, that's all.