AMD employee confirms new GPU with HBM and 300W

Kowar

300W? that is going to be hot. Like R9 295X2 hot! I don't want to even think about its cooler...

The R9 290X is 290w TDP so an extra 10w TDP is next to nothing really.

• 1 month later...

300W? that is going to be hot. Like R9 295X2 hot! I don't want to even think about its cooler...

First, 295x2 TDP = 500w, 290x = 290w

Second, why would you say the 295x2 is hot? That's the one card with low noise and temperatures in the 2xx-series.

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360

All I saw is 300W.

damn straight, they even glow in the dark i heard. lets get ready for 240 pin GPUs

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

well, i guess the space heater reputation isn't going away anytime soon.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

it is like DD but larger

/badjoke

Best joke I've seen all week on the forum

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

what beets me is that most gaming laptops are coming with 8G of ram with 1080p screens, ridicules right, so why didn't the put 8G of ram on the new gen Maxwell's and the upcoming AMD 300 series when they know there are several 4k options out there and make the cards more future prof.

Because it doesn't need it and it cost more.

They're really heavily pushing VRAM as a way to get people to upgrade right now, but it's really not a big deal.  Anything past 4GB is excessive.  The laptop market though is the one happy to spend a ridiculous amount of money for bullshit features.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Summer is coming. I'm not interested in a space heater.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

As transistors heat up, more power can go through them.

No. The more transistors heat up, the more resistive they become, lowering the amount of power which can go through. Why do you think liquid nitrogen overclocking is a thing? The cooler the circuit (assuming a standard conduction model), the more power you can push. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as some carbon molecules becoming much more resistive as they get cold.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No. The more transistors heat up, the more resistive they become, lowering the amount of power which can go through. Why do you think liquid nitrogen overclocking is a thing? The cooler the circuit (assuming a standard conduction model), the more power you can push. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as some carbon molecules becoming much more resistive as they get cold.

More resistance allows more power to go through.

Some of these comments and arguments are just wow.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I sure do hope it will have GCN 2.0 because it can sure use it to catch up, match, or beat maxwell architecture because some r9 290x can go up 300w and the tonga gcn 1.2 was a 20% increase in power efficiency meaning the r9 390x can beat the gtx 980 but does not come close to the possibly gimped gm 200/gm 210 titan x/2/gtx 1080 and not even close to the full featured gm 200/gm 210 gtx titan x/2 black/ gtx 1080 ti. I am eager for the r9 390x to being competition to Nvidia because the last we as consumers need is AMD gpus to become like there cpus fx series.(however i have high hopes that there amd zen cpu can force Intel to launch 6/8 core part on there consumer platform because Jim Keller and  Raja Koduri on board)    

300W? that is going to be hot. Like R9 295X2 hot!

295x2 runs cool.

Also it's a 500watt TDP dual GPU part, not really comparable to this.

Some of these comments and arguments are just wow.

I know, half the comments just scream "I want a larger post count", or "Not now honey, there is someone wrong on the internet", and it's not just this thread, but the majority of the forum...

With a 300w TDP it better perform the same as 2x 980. Also, they should fix their current line up because a TON of people still have driver and BIOS issues (tearing and white/gray screens, browser hw acceleration) on their high end 280/280x and some on 270/270x. Last time I recommend a high end AMD product to anyone...

2x 980 does not perform twice of a single 980, so 380X won't be too far off.

Not to mention SLI problems.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

AMD Solution: Let's make our cards more power efficient and output less heat after all the jokes people make about us. THEN CLOCK IT UP AND PUMP AS MUCH POWAH AS POSSIBLE INTO IT TO MAKE IT TAKE OFF!

Better that way, or wouldn't you want a GTX 980 with higher memory bandwidth, more cores etc. so that it hits the 300 W PCI-E spec.

If you then want that less power hungry version of the card, go ahead and downclock and undervolt it all you want :)

2x 980 does not perform twice of a single 980, so 380X won't be too far off.

Not to mention SLI problems.

A single R9 390X at stock clocks beats SLI GTX 980 @ 1.5 GHz in compute according to the SiSoft database.

More resistance allows more power to go through.

No, just no... Ever heard of superconducting? That's having a resistance of 0. THAT allows more power through.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A single R9 390X at stock clocks beats SLI GTX 980 @ 1.5 GHz in compute according to the SiSoft database.

Given Maxwell has only 1/32 DP performance, that's not surprising nor that impressive a feat. We already knew Nvidia built Maxwell specifically for gaming and testing out a new memory structure.

Given Maxwell has only 1/32 DP performance, that's not surprising nor that impressive a feat. We already knew Nvidia built Maxwell specifically for gaming and testing out a new memory structure.

*cough*new memory structure*cough cough*gtx 970*cough*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

wow, and I thought the intel fanboys where bad (at least they're justified cause amd cpus for the most part suck). But wow, nvidia fanboy are the worsted.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

*cough*new memory structure*cough cough*gtx 970*cough*

Specifically the modularity, and being able to access a full 4GB of RAM despite disabled ROPs is a good thing, even if the first implementation was not optimal. Give Nvidia until GM 200 or Pascal to sort that out.

Well I wasn't going to post in this thread...as Brainless would probably come hunt me down just to put an AMD sticker on my dog....but I wanted to say this: Power efficiency may not be important to you, but not everyone has the same priorities you do. I personally like contributing to society - research is important. I think it's amazing that we have this opportunity nowadays. Anyways, I run my equipment 24/7 for folding - power efficiency and heat are very important. Even using the erroneous energy cost figures that have been provided, at their lowest values, without taxes -it is still $100+ a year in just energy....and I assure you, those figures are easily 1/3 to 1/7th the actual costs to the customer, due to taxes/locations/etc. (My personal cost would be just under $300). This isn't even taking into account the extra heat...which also heats up the house, then requiring additional energy for cooling. 

So please understand; one size does not fit all; and your childish comments don't help anyone.

Well I wasn't going to post in this thread...as Brainless would probably come hunt me down just to put an AMD sticker on my dog....but I wanted to say this: Power efficiency may not be important to you, but not everyone has the same priorities you do. I personally like contributing to society - research is important. I think it's amazing that we have this opportunity nowadays. Anyways, I run my equipment 24/7 for folding - power efficiency and heat are very important. Even using the erroneous energy cost figures that have been provided, at their lowest values, without taxes -it is still $100+ a year in just energy....and I assure you, those figures are easily 1/3 to 1/7th the actual costs to the customer, due to taxes/locations/etc. (My personal cost would be just under $300). This isn't even taking into account the extra heat...which also heats up the house, then requiring additional energy for cooling. 

So please understand; one size does not fit all; and your childish comments don't help anyone.

And as I said earlier, lower heat and power consumption in the first place means better mobile GPUs.

Maxwell was designed for compute as well. As it does have better compute performance than Kepler. GCN on the other hand is a number crunching behemoth.