AMD employee confirms new GPU with HBM and 300W

Kowar

If it has the performance to match the power consumption, I don't really mind.

It's like - if I get a Bugatti Veyron and thrash it, I know it'll drink its entire 80+ litre petrol tank in less than 15 minutes. But then I'm getting 260 mph top speed, great handling and a 0-60 time that'll put some motorbikes to shame out of it. And that's how I view the absolute top-end of the PC hardware spectrum. Power per watt ratios and power consumption should not be an issue for the absolute top end. That's where the innovation happens, and that costs money (and electricity).

If you can deliver the same performance for less power consumption, fine. But don't sacrifice performance just to use a few watts less in the top-tier hardware. I'm spending 600-1000 Euro on a fucking graphics card, I don't give a toss about 5 euro more on the electricity bill per year (or even if it is per month), because I have the most powerful graphics card on the market in my computer and it has the computational power to possibly gain consciousness and throttle me in my sleep. And how long do we run our graphics cards at 100% for anyway?

To continue the car metaphor, if you get a massive V8 car and drive it at 130kph on the motorway in 6th gear (on tick-over revs), you will use less petrol than somebody that has to rev their little 1 litre 3 pot fiesta engine to 4000 RPM to get to that speed. It isn't only about what can the card consume in the 3 hour gaming session where you're playing Crysis at 4k with every setting maxed out with high-res textures. If you're playing a less power hungry game (an MMO or LoL, or maybe Diablo 3) that big graphics card will be running at less than10% load, using only marginally more power than if it was turned off.

If I wanted the most power efficient card, I wouldn't be looking further than something like a 750ti. But if I'm looking for a monster of a card, I don't want compromises made on my behalf. I want the most performance AMD and nVidia can possibly squeeze into 12 1/2 inches of PCB (and that means stop fucking downclocking the cores in the x90 cards nVidia!).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

And as I said earlier, lower heat and power consumption in the first place means better mobile GPUs.

This is true. I think one of The reasons it doesn't matter much on desktop is because for gamers the card spends such a tiny percentage of it's life under load. Most of the time it's idling so the power cost difference is negligible for gamers.

In laptops however the lower TDP means it's easier to cool despite the compact form factor and it gives longer gaming hours on battery.

Yea, real disappointing...at 300W I won't get it, no matter how awesome it may be.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

No, just no... Ever heard of superconducting? That's having a resistance of 0. THAT allows more power through.

You'll never get superconductivity materials in a CPU so it's not relevant. Superconductivity doesn't even need voltage to run.

So 0=0/<fill in how much you want> will always return 0.

Lets return back to normal conductivity, if you'd use R=U/I you'll figure out you'll need more electrical resistance if you want more to flow more power through it.

You'll never get superconductivity materials in a CPU so it's not relevant. Superconductivity doesn't even need voltage to run.

Lets return back to normal conductivity, if you'd use R=U/I you'll figure out you'll need more electrical resistance if you want more to flow more power through it.

Or a thicker wire.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Or a thicker wire.

What do you think you get from a thicker wire? More resistance.

What do you think you get from a thicker wire? More resistance.

Thicker wires reduce resistance.

Unless its 2x as fast as 980 that 300w lel more like "King of the bill" the power bill.

Maxwell was designed for compute as well. As it does have better compute performance than Kepler. GCN on the other hand is a number crunching behemoth.

Not at all. Maxwell doesn't have the hardware for native DP support. Geforce cards always get the 1/32 DP performance kneecap, but we'll never see a Maxwell Tesla. Ergo, Maxwell was in fact not designed for compute. I think that's why Nvidia also bothered with a dual-GPU GK210 Tesla to try and fight off the upcoming Knight's Landing Xeon Phi, though with a 500W TDP I'm not sure it'll get them all that far.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, you need greater potential which is a function of drive current and resistance. If you want more current (more "power") at the same potential you want less resistance. Your understanding of fundamental electrophysics is extremely flawed. Please go review whatever reference materials you used to learn it. Superconductivity is only a special subset of normal conductivity. All equations and relationships still hold.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm not the one paying the power bill so i don't care if it would draw 400 watts.

its not all about the power bill. Imagine two of these non-reference bad boys in a case. You've got the next-gen oven because the 290x crossfire based oven was not cooking things fast enough

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Funny.. cos 300w is NOTHING NEW...I frequently use that now....300w... my 290x Overclocked makes spikes passing 300w seen in GPUZ

I'd happily take a 300w Watercooled part, a similar watercooler can cool a 500w 295x2,.... so I'm not scared about the 300w it has to keep up with on the 300 series.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Anyone else notice amds Gucci card sites are down? Ima take that As a hint there's new shit incoming lol

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Anyone else notice amds Gucci card sites are down? Ima take that As a hint there's new shit incoming lol

Yep. Lets hope its good shit not re-badge shit.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yep. Lets hope its good shit not re-badge shit.

some will be upgraded rebadged r9 290x ext , but the flagship will be new silicon more then likely

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

some will be upgraded rebadged r9 290x ext , but the flagship will be new silicon more then likely

So 1 good card and the rest all shit. Typical AMD.

PMSL

So 1 good card and the rest all shit. Typical AMD.

yep , but hey at least they still know how to make 4gb of usable vram ;D

Spoiler
Spoiler

300W really isn't that bad. Especially when you consider that the GTX 970 is a 250W GPU and the GTX 980 is a 275W GPU. You guys are way over reacting, that or you actually believe Nvidia's bullshit efficiency claims.

Z26SaCw.png

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-12.html

Get that logic out of here. There is no place for that around these parts.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

yep , but hey at least they still know how to make 4gb of usable vram ;D

Still got 4GB of usable vRAM on my 970, and to even make it noticeable I have to thrash the shit out of it in situations it never sees during normal use.

PMSL

Still got 4GB of usable vRAM on my 970, and to even make it noticeable I have to thrash the shit out of it in situations it never sees during normal use.

touche , and as far as i know its only on some 970's that its crippled on. i honestly might get a gtx 970 

Spoiler
Spoiler

touche , and as far as i know its only on some 970's that its crippled on. i honestly might get a gtx 970 

If its an upgrade from a GTX 650Ti OC 2GB, you won't regret your choice. All the crap about the 970, and I am the first person in my family to own a computer with over 1GB vRAM (twice with the 650 and 970), and that 1GB is only in my Dad's laptop with everyone else using 128-256MB on the iGPU. I was pissed about Nvidia lying but that's about it.

PMSL

If its an upgrade from a GTX 650Ti OC 2GB, you won't regret your choice. All the crap about the 970, and I am the first person in my family to own a computer with over 1GB vRAM (twice with the 650 and 970), and that 1GB is only in my Dad's laptop with everyone else using 128-256MB on the iGPU. I was pissed about Nvidia lying but that's about it.

lol true that , and yea i think we all(tech savvy forum users ect.) were a bit pissed at nvidia. 

Spoiler
Spoiler