AMD employee confirms new GPU with HBM and 300W

Kowar

It really depends as the R9 280X will pull 300w at full load as well with just 2048 SP's. The R9 380X is rumored to have 3072 SP's so if it can operate at 300w then that would be quite impressive. An extra 1024 SP's at the cost of no extra power. Tho I get the feeling that he was in fact referring to TDP as the R9 290X has a TDP of 290w. So the extra 256 SP's would equate for the extra 10w TDP. That's why you wait for the R9 390X to launch. We know it's coming we just don't know when.

Ahh hurts to live. So when GM200 drops I can expect 390x in a fairly close time frame?

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

If it's 300W that's fine, as long as it beats a GTX 980 pretty handily. If not, definite fail. The 300W makes sense with them stuck on 28nm and with the rumors of the Asetek AIO cooler on the reference boards.

It depends on their strategy if they can dethrone the GTX 970 and GTX 980 with the R9 380X then they might launch it first. Then they could sit on Bermuda for as long as it takes Nvidia to retaliate with GM200. Unlike before it seems like AMD has a response for every card that Nvidia throws out there. I think the little/big architecture release cycle that Nvidia does has caught on with AMD. As for node we still don't know that either other than rumors. Speculation suggests 20nm and other speculation suggests 28nm. Truth of the matter is GloFo has been capable of mass production of 20nm 2.5D since Q4 2014 so it could be either.

Its one of the two as Opcode says though we have no idea...it could be either...

20nm at 300watt would be insane though.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Ahh hurts to live. So when GM200 drops I can expect 390x in a fairly close time frame?

AMD could launch them all at once or in pieces. We don't know as Lisa Su is in charge of the company and GM of that very department. I personally would expect a more strategic launch with holding out Bermuda until GM200 shows its face. Then again first to the market first to saturate sales. The R9 290X launched only two weeks after the R9 280X. I wouldn't expect it to take long after Volcanic Islands to launch for the R9 390X to make it to the market.

And I shall name it Krakatoa.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

well...would you say the windforce or vapor cards are running at 60c with 55% fan speed with a stock 290X?

No, they run at 79c with 80% fan speed...if this is not pushing it at least ''a little'' then ok i admit i'm clueless...you dont have much more room for more heat dissipation even with the best air coolers available...but i honestly tought the 290X was like a 250W TDP GPU and that now they where shooting for 300W this is why i said that...but some say it's about the same power consumption in which case it's obviously gonna be fine.

My Tri-X 290 runs @ 71-72C with 40% fan speed (about 1850-1900 rpm) while playing bf4 for more than an hour or so.

I wouldn't call it silent, but it isn't loud either. Ok, i'll admit it's not a windforce 670 or so (In a good ventilated case (200mm fan blowing at gpu, some cooler master case I think) that thing is freaking silent).

I have seen 780's and 780ti's with aftermarket coolers do the same temps as my 290, or even worse.

People that compare the power consumption (not tdp!) of a 290 vs a 970 are just comparing incorrectly (in my opinion).

The 290 is a generation older, just keep that in mind. Ok, at the moment AMD isn't offering anything else so it's the only comparison we can make at the moment, but still...

Do you want me to compare a gtx 480 with a 6970? I don't think so. (Launch dates (+-): 5970 @ November 2009; 480 @ March 2010; 580@ November 2010: 6970 @ December 2010; please correct me if incorrect)

The stock cooler of a gtx480 also ran at 94C according to an anandtech benchmark, what did the 290(x) run at again? Yes indeed, although we are a few years later, so AMD didn't learn from their competitors mistake, which is kinda stupid.

But again, don't wanna fanboy for either of them, at the moment Nvidia is doing better regarding performance/watts, but that is not that important to me.

I don't game for many hours a day. If I gamed for more than 10 hours the past month it's much, just don't have the time anymore :( 

Anyway, people should just stop with screaming that 290(x)'s are terribly hot, if you want high-end stuff (from AMD or Nvidia) you will pay the price of more power consumption and worse temperatures (and more $$$ too).

2.5D discrete GPU !!!

i thought intel would have been the first with a 2.5D product

this is awesome

Whats that mean and why is it so impressive?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

300W....

This thing better smoke the gtx 980 big time if its 5-10fps then fuck amd.

If it's 300W that's fine, as long as it beats a GTX 980 pretty handily. If not, definite fail. The 300W makes sense with them stuck on 28nm and with the rumors of the Asetek AIO cooler on the reference boards.

Sorry i dont even think if it beats gtx 980 by a bit matters i rather get the cooler and better ocer.

Like i said it neededs to destory the gtx 980 makes 0 sense how amd shit all runs 90c as a good temp and takes 300w.

Am i the only one who wouldnt mind a quadruple slot cooler and a 300 watt massive overkill chip? or a chip designed to only be used with watercooling? I wouldnt mind something that was just brute force. I mean, if its the same low idle power consumption, does it matter if its a space heater when you game?

I mean, how nice would it be if the r9 290x had a triple or quadruple slot cooler so it could be near silent at full till? that would be amazing. 

Am i the only one who wouldnt mind a quadruple slot cooler and a 300 watt massive overkill chip? or a chip designed to only be used with watercooling? I wouldnt mind something that was just brute force. I mean, if its the same low idle power consumption, does it matter if its a space heater when you game?

I mean, how nice would it be if the r9 290x had a triple or quadruple slot cooler so it could be near silent at full till? that would be amazing. 

There were triple slot coolers for 290/290x . As for quad slot - I think it's overkill . AIO cooler or waterblock is much better option .

There were triple slot coolers for 290/290x . As for quad slot - I think it's overkill . AIO cooler or waterblock is much better option .

I have a triple slot for my 7950. its a amazing cooler. I love it. it takes so long for the gpu to really come up to temp because its so massive. a quadruple would be nice because it could be passive most of the time

I have a triple slot for my 7950. its a amazing cooler. I love it. it takes so long for the gpu to really come up to temp because its so massive. a quadruple would be nice because it could be passive most of the time

My windforce r290x is inaudible when I'm not gaming - during gaming I wear headphones so it's not really an issue for me, but even then - it's not that loud as people who don't own r9 series would think . 

You could always put a CPU cooler on GPU :) I'm wondering what temps would look like with heatsink like Noctua's D15 or Dark Rock .

My windforce r290x is inaudible when I'm not gaming - during gaming I wear headphones so it's not really an issue for me, but even then - it's not that loud as people who don't own r9 series would think . 

Agreed, my evga PSU noise (750w) & my CPU fan (manually made to be a bit faster in ramping up) is louder than my GPU @ load which is using it's Performance fan profile switch on Auto non-Msi tuned curve.

Plus I also use headphones.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Agreed, my evga PSU noise (750w) & my CPU fan (manually made to be a bit faster in ramping up) is louder than my GPU @ load which is using it's Performance fan profile switch on Auto non-Msi tuned curve.

Plus I also use headphones.

550Ti that I previously owned was louder when compared full load to full load on 290x . 

What the hell, and i thought 250 W was god-awful. AMD is obviously blind to everything but high-end gaming?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

You could always put a CPU cooler on GPU :) I'm wondering what temps would look like with heatsink like Noctua's D15 or Dark Rock .

You would be better off blocking it with an AIO and bracket.

NZXT Kraken X40

r9-290x-temperature-testing-645x531.png

Surprisingly it cut back on power consumption as well.

r9-290x-voltage-645x531.png

NZXT Kraken X40

r9-290x-temperature-testing-645x531.png

Surprisingly it cut back on power consumption as well.

r9-290x-voltage-645x531.png

Yeah , I know it's not practical - just wanted to see some temps .

As for watercooling AIO - those temps are really impressing - I didn't expected that big difference.

NZXT Kraken X40

-snip-

Surprisingly it cut back on power consumption as well

-snip-

As transistors heat up, more power can go through them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

As transistors heat up, more power can go through them.

Well at least less leakage across the insulators. Either way a 14-16% cut in power consumption is pretty impressive just by improving thermal performance. I got a spare AIO in my closet but no bracket for mounting it to my HD 5870 else I would.  ^_^

300W? that is going to be hot. Like R9 295X2 hot! I don't want to even think about its cooler...