The new Sony Walkman is...$1200!That's not a joke. (and it's also running Android Jelly Bean) O_o

Nineshadow

I do agree with you but if you look at some other products like this one, you'll realise that sony doens't ask THAT much. 

I wouldn't buy a DAP that costs more than my headphones anyway, but at least sony made something that seems nice and practical instead of something "just" ultra high end.

Agree. For this category cpu spec and Android version is not that important (actually many high end DAP use custom OS instead of Android), what's important is others like the DAC chip, amp, shielding, wiring and etc. I bet a large portion of consumers who buy this type of products will not update the system unless it brings significant improvement to the music experience like more codecs support.

The problem with this player is this is too consumer for audiophile, and too audiophile for consumer. To me Sony's walkman A17, which launched last yr, and I have bought one, landed a perfect balance between consumer and audiophile. It is not expensive, and has a much better sound quality than smartphones. This is too expensive for consumer, and the audiophiles will buy DAPs from other brands which offered much better sounds quality than this. 

Who the hell pays over $1,000 for a music player?

suZA7R2.jpg

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

Some of commerce at it's worst.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Its not a joke, but it sure as hell is funny

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

But where do I put my CDs?

CD's? I want to know if it'll take an eight-track cartridge!!

It's almost nice looking, just a few bits irk me, like the cluttered screen and the overly large headphone port.

Am I reading

"Hi-Res audio"?

They have a page about it on their website, they mean lossless audio and higher bitrate (sort of): http://www.sony.nl/electronics/hoge-resolutie-audio (its in dutch but if you look at the diagrams its understandable i think)

Marketting BS ahoy!

Its not really marketing BS. Its not uncommon to refer to the sampling rate (Hz) or frequency range (also Hz) as the resolution.

And from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-resolution_audio

There is no standard definition for what constitutes high-resolution audio,[3] but it is generally used to describe audio signals with bandwidth and/or dynamic range greater than that of Compact Disc Digital Audio (CD-DA).[2] This includes pulse-code modulation (PCM) encoded audio with sampling rates greater than 44100 Hz and with bit-depths greater than 16,[2] or their equivalents using other encoding techniques such as pulse-density modulation (PDM).[3]

High-resolution audio file formats include FLACALACWAVAIFF and DSD, the format used by Super Audio Compact Discs (SACD).[3]

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Can this play DSD files? If not, I doubt anyone will be insane enough to even think of buying these.

Can this play DSD files? If not, I doubt anyone will be insane enough to even think of buying these.

It does as stated in OP's post.  

I'm no audio enthusiast but 1200 is really expensive... Will anyone actually buy this? Won't a smartphone or mp3 players like iPods be good enough with a DAC or amp?

It does as stated in OP's post.  

I'm no audio enthusiast but 1200 is really expensive... Will anyone actually buy this? Won't a smartphone or mp3 players like iPods be good enough with a DAC or amp?

As far as I know, anyone who is willing to spend this are crazy audiophiles where FLAC just won't work for them. Pretty painful for anyone new to start, but to the veterans, it is just another small fraction of money that they are about to spend into their audio products.

Who the hell pays over $1,000 for a music player?

Imagine having music as your biggest hobby, something you listen to almost all of the time. Imagine if you'd have a lot of money as well to spend on whatever. I bet you would spend that much for something like this.

Imagine having music as your biggest hobby, something you listen to almost all of the time. Imagine if you'd have a lot of money as well to spend on whatever. I bet you would spend that much for something like this.

so you are saying, that for example if I had a hobby, let say, PC gaming, we would make forums, shitpost about technology and games and have a topic dedicated to extremely expensive computers, usually built nicely, so we can use that computer that could help calculating or creating something new, for gaming?

That would suck

/irony is also included

Ok it supports FLAC but it has only 128 gigs of internal memory??Considering the width of the device that is very very disappointing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

$1,119.99 lookslike a random number it will not be that much.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

but it's ugly

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

so you are saying, that for example if I had a hobby, let say, PC gaming, we would make forums, shitpost about technology and games and have a topic dedicated to extremely expensive computers, usually built nicely, so we can use that computer that could help calculating or creating something new, for gaming?

That would suck

/irony is also included

I don't get what you're saying.

I don't get what you're saying.

basically people here complaining that there is a high end device, which its target audience, people who like music a lot and have money, likes, is expensive

Yet, a high end gaming PC cost a lot as well, but people does not want to understand the others, even though they are the same

basically people here complaining that there is a high end device, which its target audience, people who like music a lot and have money, likes, is expensive

Yet, a high end gaming PC cost a lot as well, but people does not want to understand the others, even though they are the same

Oh I get what you're saying, you're right. My friend could never justify spending a lot of money on a gaming PC, while he could easily spend tons of money on something like a knife that he would never use (obviously).

I don't get why there's even the need for a portable high-end audio device. Even if this thing could power high impedence headphones, the richest audio quality comes from open back headphones which are far from useful in a loud environment (trafic, public transport, etc.) - usually the places where you listen to music with a portable device.

144Hz goodness

Its a crappy version of the beautiful X5 (which has an IPS display)

http://www.amazon.com/X5-Resolution-Lossless-Music-Player/dp/B00I4Q9S32

fiio-x5-review-0.jpg

• Powerful dual core processor handles all modern lossless formats at up to 192kHz/24B
  • Supports DSD, APE, FLAC, ALAC, WMA, and WAV
  • TI PCM1792A DAC, OPA1612 and LMH6642 op amps for ultra low noise, dynamic, and musical rendering
  • Aluminum unibody construction with premium finish and finely crafted switch gear.
  • Dual microSD card slots supports 128GB cards for 256GB total

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

why is this so expensive what sort of hard ware does it have

That is so freaking stupid.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Dumb product. I feel like Sony will learn their lesson after this product.

why is this so expensive what sort of hard ware does it have

Off topic, but what is the anime in your profile picture?

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor