The Crew (PC) Review Honest - My first review!

Welcome to my first review on The Crew; I can't say that I am impressed with this game. Although I did enjoy playing it, even though there was a load of bugs and missing features, but that was for about 2 hours then I had to force myself to play it to do this review.

The first thing I want to talk about is the controls as their a key part of any game and can affect the whole feel of the game. In my opinion the controls were poor, the default keys to move are the arrow keys, I would've preferred WASD to be the default as most games use them these days but it isn't really a big deal just thought that I would mention it. Another thing that I didn't like relating to the controls is the fact they didn't tell you what to do before you started playing the game, this caused me not to know how to use the handbrake until I had been playing for 2 hours, I would have liked it if there was some sort of tutorial on how to work the car, just a small detail that really annoyed me. Umm also illogical controls like z for horn wtf????????

The police system in this games is completely stupid, you can't get arrested unless you are within like 5 meters of a police car, seems like the public don't have mobile phones to call the police. Another thing that I really hated is when you drive past a police car at 150mph it simply just ignores you, wtf how does that make sense, unless you have different rules about speeding in the US. Also another slightly weird thing that I noticed is that if you crash into a police car they chase you immediately, but if you hit a civilian car nothing happens (even if the police can see you). The police cars also disappear sometimes but you know whatever. The police chases :) well that's the same as the whole of the review a total shambles, cars randomly appearing and still being able to go quicker than you even when using NOS (like 230mph). As you can tell by now my likes list is a little shorter than my dislikes list :)

The graphics were actually quite good, but nowhere near as good as games like Arma 3, some of the textures were superb and some lacked depth and detail. The textures of the cars in my opinion looked amazing but the terrain textures lacked; one I noticed in particular with the ballast on the train tracks. Overall the quality of the map was good (although there was some issues like the was a massive jump between thick and thin snow some sort of blending would be nice). The size of the world was pretty good for the style of the game and gave a lot of room to roam free. A thing that really annoyed me but it really isn't a problem is the measurements in the "nav" system, so now its only 64 miles from LA to Miami? No? But the crew said it so  :P.

Right so this really annoyed me, so basically when looking from the outside of the car the windscreen is all crack and messed up but when you look from the inside it magically fixes and you have perfects vision. On the subject of magic your car magically repairs over time; why not just have more garages to fix your car? It can't be that hard (I know that it happens in lots of car games still pisses me off though).

The multi-player aspect of this game was kinda crap to be honest, you have to use chat to contact them or you could go onto the sexy ubisoft forum and ask to join a crew, I would've like some kind of voice chat for the game (there isn't one as far as im aware). The main aspect (except driving) of this game is online play and it was simply lacking. The driving is hard for me  to comment on because I have never driven but I found the cars hard to control, it may have been easier if I had a steering wheel, but I aint gonna buy one.

The level system in place is ok but could do with some tweaking, I also don't like the fact that it is locked at 30 or 60 fps when my pc could probably play it about 100 (I think).

I would like to see a better music/radio system implemented where you can upload your own music, I would love to see more cars and all round improvements to gameplay and graphics.

I would give this game 2/10 (might be generous) considering they probably had a 9 figure budget. This game wasn't really realistic (It would have been ok if it wasn't set in a real place and meant to be kinda realistic) which disappointed me. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying this game considering the massive price tag, at least the servers work :).

Anyway I am sorry for the probably badly written review and it probably also has a really bad structure I am not a journalist  :).

Thanks for reading and I hope it helps you in someway.

My PC: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MN3YwP

Wish I could afford to do giveaways for you guys, Sorry school doesn't pay me! <3

2/10 is generous.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

if theres any way do to it I will take it off your hands

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2/10 "Too much road"- IGN

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'd say this is a decently fair review, the car handling in this game is really quite bad, and I didn't hate as much as you, it certainly is very mediocre.  

honestly i love this game and especially the feel of driving across all the states of america (no hawaii  -_-)

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Using a keyboard for driving games, a big no no...

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

honestly i love this game and especially the feel of driving across all the states of america (no hawaii  -_-)

1 mile wide states?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's so small it's barely worth doing. Plus da sea(ubisoft don't have time for dat) 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Using a keyboard for driving games, a big no no...

Can you play 4k on a console? no, i prefer a keyboard and mouse so i can play 4k

1 mile wide states?

well im from Australia and ive been to america 4 times and this game is kind of reminding me of my past experiences even if the cities are minimized  

Can you play 4k on a console? no, i prefer a keyboard and mouse so i can play 4k

But k/b is generally terrible for driving games, either 100% throttle or 0%, not the same degree of movement you can get from a trigger, and why do consoles have anything to do with is? 

But k/b is generally terrible for driving games, either 100% throttle or 0%, not the same degree of movement you can get from a trigger, and why do consoles have anything to do with is? 

i thought you meant playing on a console sorry

well im from Australia and ive been to america 4 times and this game is kind of reminding me of my past experiences even if the cities are minimized

Google Earth m8 :)

Wish I could afford to do giveaways for you guys, Sorry school doesn't pay me! <3

I'd say this is a decently fair review, the car handling in this game is really quite bad, and I didn't hate as much as you, it certainly is very mediocre.  

You do understand that the point of leveling up your car is to improve the performance, right? As you gain XP, you eventually get better tires/suspension/etc.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

You do understand that the point of leveling up your car is to improve the performance, right? As you gain XP, you eventually get better tires/suspension/etc.

Oh believe me, I understand.  I'm not talking about performance, I am talking driving mechanics.  So floaty, so imprecise, clipping a corner on a race is essentially your doom as the AI just speed past you laughing.  You can make your car turn better, go faster, brake more effectively, but the fact is the underlying mechanics are just not good enough in my opinion.

I did beat the game.

Oh believe me, I understand.  I'm not talking about performance, I am talking driving mechanics.  So floaty, so imprecise, clipping a corner on a race is essentially your doom as the AI just speed past you laughing.  You can make your car turn better, go faster, brake more effectively, but the fact is the underlying mechanics are just not good enough in my opinion.

I did beat the game.

Ok, I agree with that. And yeah - I'm just about to beat it myself.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I would've preferred WASD to be the default as most games 

Wow I agree the game is shit but playing a racing game with a keyboard? I would at least use a 360 pad or something :P

not that the game was worth buying a controller for

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I so agreed when you said cars catching up to you when you're going at 230 mph with nos. + You need to drive like 100+ mph going through corners or you don't win the race.. Like literally in 90% of races on straights I get caught up to so easily but I only win because of late breaking and a couple of attempts because I went through a corner too fast..

Wow I agree the game is shit but playing a racing game with a keyboard? I would at least use a 360 pad or something :P

Idk, keyboard wasn't too bad actually (for like 4 hrs of gameplay I was too lazy to hook up my controller). The only bad thing was I got a bit of finger fatigue but I have a disability that can account for that. I seem to be better with a keyboard (ninja dodging cars) but it's nice to play the game from my bed xD. + You should get a controller anyways, some games like DAI play much better with one.

Wanted to find out if I liked the game before spending money on a controller :)

I so agreed when you said cars catching up to you when you're going at 230 mph with nos. + You need to drive like 100+ mph going through corners or you don't win the race.. Like literally in 90% of races on straights I get caught up to so easily but I only win because of late breaking and a couple of attempts because I went through a corner too fast..

Idk, keyboard wasn't too bad actually (for like 4 hrs of gameplay I was too lazy to hook up my controller). The only bad thing was I got a bit of finger fatigue but I have a disability that can account for that. I seem to be better with a keyboard (ninja dodging cars) but it's nice to play the game from my bed xD. + You should get a controller anyways, some games like DAI play much better with one.

Yeah I always have a couple of controllers hooked up :P I pretty much constantly have a wheel, flight stick 2 360 pads, my wireless loitech pad and 2 keyboard and mouse (one wirless one mechanical etc) hooked up :P

Gotta have that control hey!!!

(also I don't like DAI.. just saying.. also a game I would give like 2/10 to)

Wanted to find out if I liked the game before spending money on a controller  :)

True though I am of the opinion every PC gamer should own a controller for their pc (I use a 360 pad or the logitech f710)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah I always have a couple of controllers hooked up :P I pretty much constantly have a wheel, flight stick 2 360 pads, my wireless loitech pad and 2 keyboard and mouse (one wirless one mechanical etc) hooked up :P

Gotta have that control hey!!!

(also I don't like DAI.. just saying.. also a game I would give like 2/10 to)

True though I am of the opinion every PC gamer should own a controller for their pc (I use a 360 pad or the logitech f710)

I agree, I want to get a joystick and some sort of steering soon. What is the best way to connect an old 360 controller to my PC?

I agree, I want to get a joystick and some sort of steering soon. What is the best way to connect an old 360 controller to my PC?

there is a usb dongle you can buy so you can use it wirelessly

if its a wired controller just plug it in :D