Acer announcing 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor with IPS (Update: Reviewed)

Faa

Oh the input lag on this is going to be obscene... IPS is not built to do these kinds of frame rates. I'm VERY cautiously optimistic...

imb4 25ms input

144360-Ron-Paul-its-happening-gif-img-BY

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

imb4 25ms input

There's no input lag on them.. Plenty of IPS panels on uk.hardware.info came out as 0 ms.

imb4 25ms input

There's no input lag on them.. Plenty of IPS panels on uk.hardware.info came out as 0 ms.

This isn't even a true ISP panel, in the sense that it's not the same base technology. This is an AU Optronics AHVA panel (Which has nothing to do with VA panels). It's very similar to IPS, and has similar beneficial characteristics to ISP. But the technology in AHVA has only been in one panel in the past so we're not 100% sure what negative characteristics the AHVA panel can have.

So far, input lag seems to be minimal.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Still waiting for a 4K 144Hz 1ms IPS equivalent. 

Oh and also the R11 495X4 to actually run 4K at >120 fps. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

This isn't even a true ISP panel, in the sense that it's not the same base technology. This is an AU Optronics AHVA panel (Which has nothing to do with VA panels). It's very similar to IPS, and has similar beneficial characteristics to ISP. But the technology in AHVA has only been in one panel in the past so we're not 100% sure what negative characteristics the AHVA panel can have.

So far, input lag seems to be minimal.

Not the same base technology? What does make a panel "IPS"? When you use the technique "inplane switching", AHVA does use Inplane switching technology so it's an IPS panel.

What is AHVA?

Yet another proprietary "IPS-like" panel type that offers similar performance to PLS. Developed by AUO, AHVA is short for Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle. The acronym can be slightly confusing as AHVA technology will sometimes be mixed up with Vertical Alignment (VA, see below) even though it makes use of In-Plane Switching (IPS).

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Not the same base technology? What does make a panel "IPS"? When you use the technique "inplane switching", AHVA does use Inplane switching technology so it's an IPS panel.

What is AHVA?

Yet another proprietary "IPS-like" panel type that offers similar performance to PLS. Developed by AUO, AHVA is short for Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle. The acronym can be slightly confusing as AHVA technology will sometimes be mixed up with Vertical Alignment (VA, see below) even though it makes use of In-Plane Switching (IPS).

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Interesting, that's the first link/article I've ever seen that's explicitly stated that AHVA uses in-pane switching. Basically everything else I've seen calls it "IPS-Like", and does not give any insight into the design and engineering behind it.

If it's built using in-pane switching, then why does AU Optronics (among everyone else) call it "IPS-like"? Why don't they call it "AHVA-IPS" or something else entirely?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Long as nothing crazy comes up with the XB270HU it will be my next monitor.

Well with the Titan II and the R9 390X incoming, a pair of either of those should drive 1440p at 120+Hz on high settings easily, even if you can't get anti-aliassing and stay that high.

That's just stupid. I wouldn't spend over 1k on graphic cards just to drive a puny 1440p display at over 100fps when I could go 4k 60 fps+ instead. 

imb4 25ms input

most input lag is caused by the software processing and not the pane technology.

good IPS only has a 1 frame worse response time than TN. 

Ok so they improved their tehnology and did something amazing, but only hardware inovations from acer. Design is just ... worst than originals, pg278q and samsung smart tv's.

So this will make XL2420G more overpriced shit than now. 

That's just stupid. I wouldn't spend over 1k on graphic cards just to drive a puny 1440p display at over 100fps when I could go 4k 60 fps+ instead.

most input lag is caused by the software processing and not the pane technology.

good IPS only has a 1 frame worse response time than TN.

1440p is not exactly puny. It's still double the pixels of 1080p. Besides, why bother with 4K until it's truly ready with a display cable that supports > 60fps?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Interesting, that's the first link/article I've ever seen that's explicitly stated that AHVA uses in-pane switching. Basically everything else I've seen calls it "IPS-Like", and does not give any insight into the design and engineering behind it.

If it's built using in-pane switching, then why does AU Optronics (among everyone else) call it "IPS-like"? Why don't they call it "AHVA-IPS" or something else entirely?

Here's why;

PLS; While strictly not an IPS panel variant, we have included PLS in this section since it is IPS-like in character and performance.

AHVA; Again while not strictly an IPS panel variant, we have left AHVA in this section as it is designed as an "IPS-mode" technology. Introduced first at the end of 2012 this technology is designed by AU Optronics as another alternative to IPS.

Imo, it's just bad wording..

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm#ips

hay hold on guys this is the first attempt of AV panel at 144 hz so it's probably going to be full of problems like the first attempt of any tech (remember the first 4k monitors) so everyone needs to calm down lets wait for the reviews first I'd recommend TFT CENTRAL : http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm they have very good experts on panel technology . 

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

1440p is not exactly puny. It's still double the pixels of 1080p. Besides, why bother with 4K until it's truly ready with a display cable that supports > 60fps?

I have a 1440p display and single GTX 980 will drive a properly optimized game at 60+ fps Ultra right now. 60 v 96 fps on my 1440p monitor is very negligible. So it'd be crazy for me to spend another 600 dollars on a GPU just to play all the games that already work perfectly at more FPS. Especially when the biggest factor in gameplay isn't high FPS but smooth stable FPS. 

I really think 120/144hz displays are mostly marketing hype for the uniformed shopper. When frames get past 60 fps we increase resolution. It's what we have been doing for decades now.  It's crazy to spend this much money on a 1440p panel for marginally higher refresh rate vs. a 4k panel. 

Free-sync FTW.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

*faints* As a current ROG Swift owner.... Well SHIT

gaming on the ROG swift is still going to be alot smoother.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

-snip-

You are just butt hurt about spending 700 dollars on a ROG swift and 4k IPS panels are already cheaper than that. 

£600... so only 1000$.... ill wait for price to drop to at least 600 or less.

I find it really funny that some members are expecting or hoping this to be cheaper than the ROG Swift... IPS is considered a premium panel type (Even though it's technically AHVA). It has better colour and viewing angles. If they've actually managed to get it to 144 Hz w/ good response times and low input lag, then damn.

OF COURSE it's going to be the same price as the ROG Swift. Or even more expensive. Both are G-Sync, so you're not saving that $100-150 that an AdaptiveSync monitor might.

1440P is the sweet spot.

4K is just too much for a monitor. I really wish they released this a year ago.

I also wish it was 3D capable since I play in 3D only now...

Looks nice, I don't really like red but oh well.

blackshades on