2-year old boy accidentally shot his mother inside a Idaho Walmart

Bloodyvalley

A woman was shopping with several children in a Walmart this morning when a 2-year old boy grabbed a handgun in her purse and discharged it. The 29-year-old woman died at the scene. The woman did have a concealed weapons permit and video surveillance footage and eyewitness accounts helped authorities determine that the shooting was indeed accidental.

Source

Monica Friedman said: Clearly the problem here is that there are not enough guns in America. The victim should have been carrying at least 2 guns. Then she could have shot the toddler first.

I fail to understand, though, why there wasn't some sort of safety lock on the gun.

A woman was shopping with several children in a Walmart this morning when a 2-year old boy grabbed a handgun in her purse and discharged it. The 29-year-old woman died at the scene. The woman did have a concealed weapons permit and video surveillance footage and eyewitness accounts helped authorities determine that the shooting was indeed accidental.

Source

I fail to understand, though, why there wasn't some sort of safety lock on the gun.

Why would she even have her gun in her purse? in a walmart??

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

No safety or holster what a fucking idiot.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Murica!

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Many modern guns don't have manual safeties. Self defense guns are intended to be drawn and fired quickly, under pressure it can be quite hard to deactivate a manual safety.

Very unfortunate.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

This post is so 'Murican, I shed a greasy tear.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why would she even have her gun in her purse? in a walmart??

Concealed carry. I openly carry mine, in a locking holster, in walmart. Perfectly legal.

This is what happens when people don't think, you don't leave your gun in a purse, with the purse open, loaded, and the safety off. You keep it in a holster, or a concealed pocket with a zipper on it. Either way, keep your safety on and the chamber empty (if it's a revolver, you load 5/6 chambers and have the next one advanced by the trigger pull empty). This kind of stuff is common sense to anyone who pays attention in a gun safety class.

You want an analogy? You don't leave a chainsaw running at full throttle when not in use, for obvious reasons.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That's sad. It makes sense though that the safety was not on because if it is for self-defense you would need to react quickly to the situation.

Then again she should have it holstered, not in a bag.

Many modern guns don't have manual safeties. Self defense guns are intended to be drawn and fired quickly, under pressure it can be quite hard to deactivate a manual safety.

Very unfortunate.

They make guns specifically for Self-Defense only? I've found typical ownership of guns by common civilians consists of mainly a Glock which does have a manual safety.

What the heck - Monica Freidman: "clearly the problem here is that there aren't enough guns in America. The victim should have been carrying at least 2 guns. Then she could have shot the Toddler first."

I am just lost for words...

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

Really sad to read this. I can't imagine the pain the father is going through, he might even end up resenting his child because of this.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I remeber a while back this 9 year old girl was having gun lessons and the instructor gave an UZI set to automatic and when she fired it the recoil caused the instructor to have a bullet in his head. Also I think it was a micro UZI(correct me if im wrong) which has an RPM of 1200.

Steve

They make guns specifically for Self-Defense only? I've found typical ownership of guns by common civilians consists of mainly a Glock which does have a manual safety.

Glocks don't have manual safety's. Shows how much you know about guns. :lol:

how can a private person legally carry a weapon around people? Murica i guess.

she did have a permit

yup.. a permit to be stupid. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

most guns have a safety on it, and she failed to have hers on safety

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

Glocks don't have manual safety's. Shows how much you know about guns. :lol:

The ones issued to police do :P

EDIT: It's called the safe action system which is rather similar to a manual safety in all but preventing you from firing it. :

Glocks have trigger safeties, not manual ones. At least that's manual in the traditional sense.

Basically in order to fire a Glock, a little sub-trigger type thing needs to be moved into place before the trigger can be pulled. (Contrary to what Hollywood shows, you don't have to flick anything on a Glock.)

The traditional style safety is a little lever towards the rear of a pistol that either blocks trigger movement or blocks the firing pin.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

What the heck - Monica Freidman: "clearly the problem here is that there aren't enough guns in America. The victim should have been carrying at least 2 guns. Then she could have shot the Toddler first."

I am just lost for words...

That went way over your head. It was a shot at people that use the "we need more guns" defence every time someone goes on a shooting spree. They weren't being serious.

Yes, and they're generally very small and almost look like fake guns.

Glocks have trigger safeties, not manual ones. At least that's manual in the traditional sense.

Basically in order to fire a Glock, a little sub-trigger type thing needs to be moved into place before the trigger can be pulled. (Contrary to what Hollywood shows, you don't have to flick anything on a Glock.)

The traditional style safety is a little lever towards the rear of a pistol that either blocks trigger movement or blocks the firing pin.

Yes the safe action system. Which is fairly similar to a safety in all but preventing you, the gun wielder from firing it. That is still a safety.

How stupid do you have to be to carry a gun in your purse and make the purse accessible to your child.

Carrying it in your purse is not only a bad idea, but for a 2 year old to get in it, it'd need to not have a latch or zipper on it. 

I assume people are going to spin this as if it wasn't just complete negligence and that guns are the problem here.

If she'd left her car running, left the car, then the kid put it into drive and killed someone, everyone would just say the mother was negligent there.

Concealed carry. I openly carry mine, in a locking holster, in walmart. Perfectly legal.

I'm not really a fan of open carrying guns because I worry people won't realize you need a locking holster for that... and that could end badly

That went way over your head. It was a shot at people that use the "we need more guns" defence every time someone goes on a shooting spree. They weren't being serious.

Ah man sorry, didn't realise. Still such a tragedy though

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.