SSD's To Be More Economical Solution Than HDD's By 2016

Opcode

Source

A report on the state of the flash memory and disk storage industries has predicted that using SSDs will become more economical than HDDs for most purposes from 2016 onwards. The prediction applies to "almost all storage" but it seems like the largest capacities will remain the forte of spinning disks for a bit longer.

500px-ProjectionCapacityDiskNANDManageme

Of course one of the main factors driving this storage revolution is the ever decreasing cost of flash memory and thus SSDs. While HDD costs are falling and capacities increasing they are being outpaced by what flash can offer. For an analysis to appeal to business and enterprise Wikibon's costs comparison takes into account power and maintenance costs over a four year period.

500px-Projection2015-2020CapacityDiskNAN

having the rack of tiny ssds just wont be the same as having this wall of hard drives spinning away. like can you imagine showing someone your nas and its just a shoebox sized thing of flash storage, versus a full tower full of drives wizzing away? 

that being said they have a 8tb hard drive for 260. when you can get a SSD for that ill die happy

If I understood the first graph correctly, it is saying that manufacturing a 1TB HDD costs more than 150$, surely I am mistaken, right?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

If I understood the first graph correctly, it is saying that manufacturing a 1TB HDD costs more than 150$, surely I am mistaken, right?

It's the cost per TB for buying the drive, running it (electric bill) and other things over the course of a 4 year time period. Which means these charts are mostly oriented towards servers.

Or something like that.

I can't wait. The cost of SSD's have gone down a bit since 2-3 years ago. Now you can get a 240GB SSD for around 100 bucks. I can't wait until I can get a 1TB SSD for around 200 bucks.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I'd honestly never want and SSD in my computer. EVER.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Is that a joke? Because SSD's are great.

I hope this will make it viable to through together a nice nas running only SSD's.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It includes power and maintenance, so keeping the drive running for 4 years.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Have you ever used one? You have no idea what you are missing. Old spinning rust is on the way out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is that a joke? Because SSD's are great.

I hope this will make it viable to through together a nice nas running only SSD's.

Nope. no joke. I don't like them, especially when i already have tool less 3.5" bays. then i have to get an adapter to 2.5" and it needs screws.

Have you ever used one? You have no idea what you are missing. Old spinning rust is on the way out.

I don't care. I love the sound of hard drives spinning. Since there's nothing from an SSD, they just sound boring, and plus you can't tell when it's dead until it goes dead. A hard drive makes unusual sounds, and that gives you time to back up and stuff.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I must agree: after my last mechanical crapped out (sata port broke off when closing the stupid case) I think I'll just replace it with a 240 SSD. Sure is 1/4 the size but it's night and day the difference alone makes it worth the premium right now, and even not factoring data server stuff it's still just better for everyone

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nope. no joke. I don't like them, especially when i already have tool less 3.5" bays. then i have to get an adapter to 2.5" and it needs screws.

I don't care. I love the sound of hard drives spinning. Since there's nothing from an SSD, they just sound boring, and plus you can't tell when it's dead until it goes dead. A hard drive makes unusual sounds, and that gives you time to back up and stuff.

You can just throw an SSD in your case since it doesn't move it doesn't need to be attached in a good way. Also you have smart read outs, do those and you'll know when the drive will fail

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

That's why you follow standard protocol and make daily backups, which take no time at all with SSD's. And if you've used a system with an SSD, you'd hate that sound of spinning HDD's. It means "oh, lemme wait for this to get up to speed" instead of just working....instantly. Not to mention software like Samsung Magician that measures the health of your SSD. There is literally no reason to stick with HDD right now except price, which won't last much longer.

Hell, you can have your OS set to automatically make a backup, not that big a deal.

Not like you're going to be hot swapping internal media anyways.

That's a first because you can never hear them over case fans anyhow. Unless you enjoy how they click as the heads or bearings start to go bad. Tho them signs mean nothing anymore as S.M.A.R.T technology (even HDD's have) will tell you that your drive is going bad before it's inaccessible. Really tho you need to get behind a machine that is SSD powered. I will never go back to mechanical drives because of how slow they are. It's like upgrading from AOL to Google Fiber.

3TB €90 SSD please :D

I never saw much interest in them back when Intel started pushing them out, then my laptop came with a PCIe one. How can someone ever go back to an HDD after that for OS and Productivity. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Not like you're going to be hot swapping internal media anyways.

That's a first because you can never hear them over case fans anyhow. Unless you enjoy how they click as the heads or bearings start to go bad. Tho them signs mean nothing anymore as S.M.A.R.T technology (even HDD's have) will tell you that your drive is going bad before it's inaccessible. Really tho you need to get behind a machine that is SSD powered. I will never go back to mechanical drives because of how slow they are. It's like upgrading from AOL to Google Fiber.

I don't have fans in my system. The clicking reminds me of my childhood (I had a strange one), and I will never ever convert to SSD, ever. i don't care how fast it is, a traditional hdd is fast enough for me.

I don't have fans in my system. The clicking reminds me of my childhood (I had a strange one), and I will never ever convert to SSD, ever. i don't care how fast it is, a traditional hdd is fast enough for me.

I have lost respect for you sir. Have you ever actually used a PC with the OS on an SSD? It's a speed difference equivalent to switching to a ferarri from a prius.

R&D, shipping, advertisement, and sellers always take extra chunks out of that price.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I have lost respect for you sir. Have you ever actually used a PC with the OS on an SSD?

Yes, and I think it's fine, but I'd rather stick with my plenty fast HDD.

R&D, shipping, advertisement, and sellers always take extra chunks out of that price.

Advertising? Clearly, I've never seen any hard drives being advertised on TV at all.

So your arguments against SSD's are that they

• Require screws and in some old cases an adapter
  • Don't make noise.
  • You can't tell when it's dead

Love the way you think, those three things definitely outweight the fact that HDD's are slow as fuck.

So your arguments against SSD's are that they

• Require screws and in some old cases an adapter
  • Don't make noise.
  • You can't tell when it's dead

Love the way you think, those three things definitely outweight the fact that HDD's are slow as fuck.

Yeah. And i think a 100MB/s transfer speed is still plenty fast for me. I still think HDD's are fine. The moment SSDs get cheaper than HDDs is the moment I will fall off a 20 story building.