My Parents Forcing Me Into Religion

reapersivan

My parents are actually catholic but my uncle is the one who lectured our family and is trying to convert us. He is a pastor of a church he founded and he goes on the radio

So your uncle is trying to convert your parents from Catholicism to what exactly?

So your uncle is trying to convert your parents from Catholicism to what exactly?

Evangelic Christianity

Tell them you have seen the beauty of being a catholic and how good religion is.. Then say you worship the devil :D

That's exactly how my brother did it. My parents still don't believe him.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Ah, you're 15. Let them know straight out the more they push, the more they are turning you away from religion because of pressure. You're at the perfect age to start questioning things, I know I did the same when I was still a teen.

That's impossible for this forum.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Here is my point of view, Unless its a cult that wants you to shave your head, or wants to you to kill your brother because he doesn't believe. Than embrace it, if anything it will give you hope, and something to follow. To live a hopfully fullfilling life. Than when you die, maybe people won't think of you as a jackass and come to your funeral to stomp your grave :)

Someone who doesn't believe in God can easily have all of those things. I'm paraphrasing a quote by Ricky Gervais here " Atheists have nothing to die for. They have everything to live for."

(John 6:64-69)  And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted by Him the Father.”

Tell them Jesus would not approve of their actions, that God gave you free will and you are exercising it, and that while God does not control your plans made by your heart, he leads your feet. (the religious tones may just be enough to get them off your back)

Sorry about your situation. Religious people like this give us and religion a bad name.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Tell your parents that you dont want to go to church because if you don't believe, (I assume you already have). Unfortunately there's nothing more you can but talk to them and if they resort to grounding you or punishing you in anyway then you unfortunately have bad parents (in this situation). Other then that just make sure that what ever you currently believe is what you want to believe, do a little research, read a book by Hitchens or Dawkins, or some of there videos. Belief shouldn't be forced on others, you should make an argument for your beliefs.

But as other have said and I have said, there's not alot you can do.

1. Nobody seems to be forcing you
  2. If you're under 18 and your parents want you to go somewhere, you should
  3. Your uncle giving you his job isn't something you have to accept
  4. You could tell your parents in no uncertain way that you aren't religious

I also have religious parents who are sad that I'm not religious. They try to make me go to church, but I go rarely, they realised it was fruitless when I was about 16 to force me to go.

Compatible with Windows 95

Just tell them that forcing it on you isn't correct. God spoke to your uncle supposedly and so if you were meant to be going all the time and believing than god will speak to you also.   Lol

Tell them they are utter retards for trying to force a belief on you.

Just tell them that forcing it on you isn't correct. God spoke to your uncle supposedly and so if you were meant to be going all the time and believing than god will speak to you also.   Lol

I want what that uncle is smoking

Hey, I am not for or against any religion so please do not start arguing. So I am not religious at all, not Catholic, Christian, Jehova's Whitness. My parents, who are Mexican (my stereotype is that all Mexicans are very religious and Catholic) get upset that I am not religious nor believe in God or Jesus. My dad's brother, who is a pastor in Nevada has his own church group, or religion which is similar to Christianity. I visited him and stayed over on Friday and he has been trying to make me and my family all religious. He gave up his job and everything due to his believe that Jesus called him forward to embrace his teachings. My uncle has talked about religion a lot to my parents a lot, trying to convert them to his religion. My parents are now all about making us religious and go to church, which I honestly hate going to. I do not want to be part of any religion so my parents called me ignorant and grounded me. They are mad that I do not want to go to church and accept him into my life.

have to get by , i live in India , my parents force me into religion as well , i don't personally believe there's exists a mythical thing as god and stuff, but i play along their fantasies , here in India , we have around 45 festivals a year which all get a govt holiday, and we get around 2 months of holiday if you are a student in an year, so i don't blame much , as long as they don't force me to pray stuff ,  For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible , so if someone do believes in something , don't argue against them and try to be neutral , you don't have to prove your point in saying , religion is bullshit , you know it is , but you don't have to make them believe, i am 23 , so i am not as force as into it , but my parents do stuff all the time in the name if religion and god , i don't argue or anything , just let it flow  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

ever heard about 'ghar wapsi' dude...... :P

i just googled it right now , just an other day in India , have seen plenty here 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Will only ever care about The Order.

Atleast you get immortality :D

C.C._code.jpg

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

well i am quite a religious person "hindusim" but i hate how the other hardcore hindu's are forcing it on others.... its wrong 

i don't want to get into it , there are dozen's of subdivisions even in hindu's that have their own beliefs , it's all convoluted

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Oh boy; I'd say it's your task to instead show them how incredibly childish, naïve and gullible they are. Thankfully, we live an age of abundant information—Use that to your advantage, and save your parents from their religion. They deserve better, and you should definitely not give in to them at any cost. You cannot give in to strongly religious people, not even once, or they will forever expect you to follow their every word.

Cheers,

Linus

Your parents are only doing what they think is right for you. It is their responsibility to do so. This doesn't always mean that it's the best option for you, but it does mean they care for you and only want the best for you. As their child, you have the responsibility to learn from them. This, sadly, usually means you need to obey their rules. Whether you believe in it or not you should have to go to church if your parents ask. It teaches more than just religion. It teaches responsibility, commitment, education, etc. It helps develope you as an individual and it will give you knowledge that a lot of people don't have.

I say all this as an Atheist. If you don't believe in any religion you should know why. You should use that knowledge to express what you do believe in. You should use that knowledge to help spread the word of your beliefs and meet others that believe in the same things. Use your church going experience to teach yourself about the religion. Then when it comes times for you to be able to make your own decisions on the matter you will be well educated and make the proper choice. Think of it as school, just once a week. Go in, listen to a bunch of people talk about stuff that doesn't interest you, and take some of that knowledge with you and use it to become who you want to become later in life. 

Someone who doesn't believe in God can easily have all of those things. I'm paraphrasing a quote by Ricky Gervais here " Atheists have nothing to die for. They have everything to live for."

Okay so you say you live a fullfilling life, and when you die everyone won't think of you as a douchebag. They will think of you as a caring, funny non-douchbaggery dude. Well than continue on with your life! I can't do anything except give you my opinion and hope you listen, and think through it. Yes I wish everyone would come to a understanding, and everyone could not be rude to others for there beliefs. But I also wish everyone would stop being AMD and intel fanboys, we all know that will never happen.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Hey, I am not for or against any religion so please do not start arguing. So I am not religious at all, not Catholic, Christian, Jehova's Whitness. My parents, who are Mexican (my stereotype is that all Mexicans are very religious and Catholic) get upset that I am not religious nor believe in God or Jesus. My dad's brother, who is a pastor in Nevada has his own church group, or religion which is similar to Christianity. I visited him and stayed over on Friday and he has been trying to make me and my family all religious. He gave up his job and everything due to his believe that Jesus called him forward to embrace his teachings. My uncle has talked about religion a lot to my parents a lot, trying to convert them to his religion. My parents are now all about making us religious and go to church, which I honestly hate going to. I do not want to be part of any religion so my parents called me ignorant and grounded me. They are mad that I do not want to go to church and accept him into my life.

Other than the "grounding" you I don't see the forcing. Just get a job and move the fuck out, that's the only way to deal with stupid zealots. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

@reapersivan

(note: I read none of the 4 pages of comments, just opening post)

If you want to soften the blow a bit, say "you believe in god but you don't believe in religion". Then it comes down to; what actually is God? I am not speaking of the mythical man in the sky; instead I believe the universe was created for a reason. Again I have no clue what that reason is but I don't believe it is just chance. I believe the fundamental laws of physics are too perfect and simple for it to be chance. The reason I suggest you say God instead of religion is due to the fact that God can refer to an abstract entity (or even object) that you believe in. God can simply refer to reality if you like (take for instance the fact that I am speaking to you from far away, but it still is real). Use the word 'God' as something that represents your beliefs (no matter what those beliefs are)

This can help as people can understand that you have faith (in something), without having to conform to religion (or even define what that 'something' is). It can be hard for your family to hear that you have no faith (as this usually means you are going to hell in Catholicism) and they will therefore automatically worry about you. Having faith in 'something' can help alleviate the problems you will have to deal with at home if your family is religious. They may not understand it, but they will find it a lot easier to understand than having no faith at all.

So I say "believe in God, not religion. What is God? Well that is up to you".

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

@reapersivan

(note: I read none of the 4 pages of comments, just opening post)

If you want to soften the blow a bit, say "you believe in god but you don't believe in religion". Then it comes down to; what actually is God? I am not speaking of the mythical man in the sky; instead I believe the universe was created for a reason. Again I have no clue what that reason is but I don't believe it is just chance. I believe the fundamental laws of physics are too perfect and simple for it to be chance. The reason I suggest you say God instead of religion is due to the fact that God can refer to an abstract entity (or even object) that you believe in. God can simply refer to reality if you like; take for instance the fact that I am speaking to you from far away, but it still is real. Use the word 'God' as something that represents your beliefs (no matter what those beliefs are)

This can help as people can understand that you have faith (in something), without having to conform to religion (or even define what that 'something' is). It can be hard for your family to hear that you have no faith (as this usually means you are going to hell in Catholicism) and they will therefore automatically worry about you. Having faith in 'something' can help alleviate the problems you will have to deal with at home if your family is religious. They may not understand it, but they will find it a lot easier to understand than having no faith at all.

So I say "believe in God, not religion. What is God? Well that is up to you".

So being close to your family means "lie to them at the expense of your principles" I am glad I am distant and independent and can just not talk about it and say "Yeah, I'm not praying, not going to church, leave me alone" and my family does just that and leaves me alone.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So being close to your family means "lie to them at the expense of your principles" I am glad I am distant and independent and can just not talk about it and say "Yeah, I'm not praying, not going to church, leave me alone" and my family does just that and leaves me alone.

I never said lie to them. I said

believe in God, not religion. What is God? Well that is up to you

Meaning you haven't defined what God is. Therefore how can you lie about it?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I never said lie to them. I said

Meaning you haven't defined what God is. Therefore how can you lie about it?

OP said he doesn't believes in God so you can drop your fucking semantics BS

So I am not religious at all, not Catholic, Christian, Jehova's Whitness. My parents, who are Mexican (my stereotype is that all Mexicans are very religious and Catholic) get upset that I am not religious nor believe in God or Jesus.

-------

Current Rig

-------