SATA to 6Pin GTX 1650

I have an HP 800 G2 TWR with a 280w PSU and I couldn't find any low profile GTX 1650 so I had to get MSI Geforce GTX 1650 D6 ventus xs ocv1 that requires a 6PIN power but my PSU doesn't have that and changing PSU is not possible for me right now so I had to get a SATA to 6PIN 2 months ago now working fine but I'm concerned about the safety of my hardware after searching forums online. Knowing that my GPU is only 75W and I ran FurMark to see how much power it draws from the SATA to 6pin cable and PCI slot at 100% GPU Usage and here's the results :

PCIe + 12V = 24.15W

6-PIN#0 = 47.02W

So am I good or is 47W too much for the cable?

Depends on the gauge of the cable really, and the same with the adapter. The weak point is usually the sata adapters in this setup. The lines from the PSU dont really care, a 12v wire is a 12v wire. Its the much smaller connectors of sata and thin gauge wire commonly used in the adapters which can fail.

If the cable and specifically the adapter arent getting hot under load, youre fine. 

But make sure the connections are solid, no wiggle in the sata plugs, etc

Most of the time when they fail, it just breaks continuity and you have no power. 

But theres the rare worst case scenario where it fails but keeps continuity and starts a fire. And that rare scenario is why its generally recommended to avoid pcie adapters, its just not worth the chance if you dont know what limits youre working with. 

I'm using this cable exactly and for the use case mostly games that runs at 90% GPU usage or rarely surpass that and for the temps never checked the cable but the connectors are fixed in place properly

10 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Depends on the gauge of the cable really, and the same with the adapter. The weak point is usually the sata adapters in this setup. The lines from the PSU dont really care, a 12v wire is a 12v wire. Its the much smaller connectors of sata and thin gauge wire commonly used in the adapters which can fail.

If the cable and specifically the adapter arent getting hot under load, youre fine. 

But make sure the connections are solid, no wiggle in the sata plugs, etc

Most of the time when they fail, it just breaks continuity and you have no power. 

But theres the rare worst case scenario where it fails but keeps continuity and starts a fire. And that rare scenario is why its generally recommended to avoid pcie adapters, its just not worth the chance if you dont know what limits youre working with. 

image.png

42ae850629ff319b0564c718212a9192-hi-453913363.jpg

20240525_024917.jpg

1 hour ago, tragarent4A2 said:

I'm using this cable exactly and for the use case mostly games that runs at 90% GPU usage or rarely surpass that and for the temps never checked the cable but the connectors are fixed in place properly

image.png

I believe SATA can handle 54W on 12V, so in theory its fine.

The problem is, how do we know if the adapter was manufactured properly using all three 12V pins?  They may have commoned them all together or just wired one wire to one pin, using only two of them which would be rated for 36W.

You'd have to get a multimeter and check yourself to be sure.

Even then we can't be sure they used the right cable, was this a branded adapter?  Random Chinese junk could easily use thicker insulation to make the cable look thicker than it is, or copper coated aluminium which carries less current and is highly likely to spontaneously combust.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I believe SATA can handle 54W on 12V, so in theory its fine.

The problem is, how do we know if the adapter was manufactured properly using all three 12V pins?  They may have commoned them all together or just wired one wire to one pin, using only two of them which would be rated for 36W.

You'd have to get a multimeter and check yourself to be sure.

Even then we can't be sure they used the right cable, was this a branded adapter?  Random Chinese junk could easily use thicker insulation to make the cable look thicker than it is, or copper coated aluminium which carries less current and is highly likely to spontaneously combust.

I have no Idea about the brand but the cable was from the same shop where I bought my GPU and the guy installed it for me then so I can assume its a good cable and that should be fine I don't need to stress too much about it?

16 minutes ago, tragarent4A2 said:

I have no Idea about the brand but the cable was from the same shop where I bought my GPU and the guy installed it for me then so I can assume its a good cable and that should be fine I don't need to stress too much about it?

I would not personally be comfortable saying "don't worry about it".

Unfortunately being a shop does not necessarily mean they know (or care) about the quality of the products they are selling.

All you can really do is keep an eye on it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Honestly as always. Im gonna say a hard no

Even if all is well and the sata to 6 pin isnt wired up wrong, the hp proprietary psu is actually 54w sata, the cable is not the usual blend of scrap aluminium and copper that ends in disaster and so much more that can go wrong. I can't recommend it.

Also keep in mind just because pcie slot is 75w and sata is 54w DOES NOT MEAN that gpu gpu will prioritize drawing the first 75 from the slot. So it is easy to overdraw from sata.

Lastly I've seen this go wrong so many times. Even with a gtx 750ti, gtx 950, gtx1050(ti) and gtx 1650. Molten cables, fried gpu's and psu's,...

So I simply can not recommend you do this.

Also you dont need a lp one for no 6 pin. They make multiple normal format ones with no 6pin.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Honestly as always. Im gonna say a hard no

Even if all is well and the sata to 6 pin isnt wired up wrong, the hp proprietary psu is actually 54w sata, the cable is not the usual blend of scrap aluminium and copper that ends in disaster and so much more that can go wrong. I can't recommend it.

Also keep in mind just because pcie slot is 75w and sata is 54w DOES NOT MEAN that gpu gpu will prioritize drawing the first 75 from the slot. So it is easy to overdraw from sata.

Lastly I've seen this go wrong so many times. Even with a gtx 750ti, gtx 950, gtx1050(ti) and gtx 1650. Molten cables, fried gpu's and psu's,...

So I simply can not recommend you do this.

Also you dont need a lp one for no 6 pin. They make multiple normal format ones with no 6pin.

I understand that but the thing is I cant do anything about the PSU  so my Idea is monitoring the PCI and 6PIN wattage in overlay while I'm in game just to be safe that the GPU doesn't draw more than it should what do you think?

image.png

1 minute ago, tragarent4A2 said:

I understand that but the thing is I cant do anything about the PSU  so my Idea is monitoring the PCI and 6PIN wattage in overlay while I'm in game just to be safe that the GPU doesn't draw more than it should what do you think?

image.png

Again I can not in good concious tell you its safe to do. Its up to you if you are willing yo risk it. I would return the card and get a normal one without a 6.pin