Do You Pay For A TV Licence?

EvelynX

To the non-UK folk, it might seem a strange concept but in the UK we are required to pay for a TV licence at  cost of £145.50 (226.80usd at time of writing) per year, or £49 if you have a black & white TV. Nope, Not even kidding about that still being a thing, apparently.

The licence is required if you view Live TV on any channel or device, in fact it is actually a Jail-able offence in some circumstances not to own one, if you do in fact use the services.

I recently moved into my own place and when the letter started rolling in to remanding me about the TV licence I took a little look online and found that the licence literally is only required, "If you watch TV as it is being broadcast" (Regardless of method used to watch)
Do I sacrifice my right to watch live TV, for an extra £145 per year I would have paid otherwise?
You're damn right I don't pay it.

So I was wondering, who of you are in the UK pay for it? How much Live TV do you actually watch? Is this the first you are hearing of not having to pay it? Am I morally wrong for not paying it seeing as I regularly use the content, albeit, not live?

The rest of the world! Do you have anything like this? Does the idea sound ridiculous to you? Or do you like the idea of paying a fee? Most of which funds multiple, ad free, politically unbiased channels? All with genuinely good quality content? (Content being Subjective of course.)

(Note; As just an example, Doctor Who is a licence fee funded production that could very well not exist in it's current state, if not for the fee. Who knows how different the world would be if it where ad funded like in the rest of the world!)

Source Link on Pricing & Rules

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)
Loitering with: Galaxy S8+

Woah.... really, why is this a thing?!?!

is that the price per TV? or per house hold

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Around 18 Euros to the GEZ for TV, Radio and Internet. (Germany)

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I pay 14€ monthly for Internet and we are getting TV from that also.... crappy speed of Internet, but hey, for 14€ and the fact I live in a backwater village... complaining is the only thing I can do about it :D

Per household.

I don't think there is a device limit.

The crap thing about this system is that this is on top of a cable subscription, if you have one, although we do get a lot of good channels without cable. (Not cable, actually satellite in this country)

It's a reason not to live in the UK, but 150mb/s down & 25 up is a reason to move here so I'll probably be staying for now.

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)

The fuck?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

With my cable I pay taxes on franchise, FCC, and some other things. I'm not looking at my bill at the moment but it all totals about $10. So I guess you could say it's a broadcast fee.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

welp looks like am not living in the UK any time soon

Per household.

I don't think there is a device limit.

The crap thing about this system is that this is on top of a cable subscription, if you have one, although we do get a lot of good channels without cable. (Not cable, actually satellite in this country)

It's a reason not to live in the UK, but 150mb/s down & 25 up is a reason to move here so I'll probably be staying for now.

The fuck?

Lol... nope, it's free

(tho they keep theirselves with ads :/)

With my cable I pay taxes on franchise, FCC, and some other things. I'm not looking at my bill at the moment but it all totals about $10. So I guess you could say it's a broadcast fee.

Most of it goes to the BBC. That's how they make most of their money, but at least they give back somewhat by delivering ad-free content on all their (UK) channels.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

We get quite a lot of channels for 'free' (that our fee pays for) It used to be 5 but with digital switch-over we get about 60 (15 of which anyone really watches)

Do Americans get much without cable?

The advantage of this means that the largest communications company in the UK is state owned.

As such, private media companies have no-where near the same level of control in the UK as they do in the US.

It's also really not that bad. It's £145 for the year for each household, and all BBC channels don't have adverts.

BBC news is also add free. And without the license fee, the BBC would not have been able to afford projects such as rolling out computers to as many households as possible in the UK, back in the 80's, which inspired thousands of computer scientists in the UK

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Most of it goes to the BBC. That's how they make most of their money, but at least they give back somewhat by delivering ad-free content on all their (UK) channels.

I know most of it goes to BBC but it is strange that the fee applies with other channels too to some extent. I have no idea how much.

The advantage of this means that the largest communications company in the UK is state owned.

As such, private media companies have no-where near the same level of control in the UK as they do in the US.

It's also really not that bad. It's £145 for the year for each household, and all BBC channels don't have adverts.

BBC news is also add free. And without the license fee, the BBC would not have been able to afford projects such as rolling out computers to as many households as possible in the UK, back in the 80's, which inspired thousands of computer scientists in the UK

BBC Micro?

BBC Micro?

Exactly.

Heard a speech from a guy who is an executive at Intel who was inspired as a child by things like the BBC Micro

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

In Denmark we have a Media License. If you have a TV or internet device you need to pay. I don't complain.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Kinda not really, we have part of our taxes go to fund government broadcasting (ABC and SBS for T.V). So in effect every body who pays tax pays for the ABC whether you watch it or not. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Do you know dude why it's no-where else?

The BBC is the only thing funded like that.

In Britain, we have things like the NHS (third or second biggest employer in the world) and the BBC. In other countries, they have better ways of funding public TV, but it's a political issue really.

And yeah, we as a family pay license fee. It's not that much when you think about t compared to Sky TV (although you have to pay license fee whatever). We get value out of it because we always watch TV live or record it from live.

I don't know why it's a reason not to move to Britain, it's a minor fee per house which pays for ad-free TV.

Compatible with Windows 95

Im under 18, so no, but my parents do since they have several TVs, though we have gotten some calls from "Radiotjänst", who collect the license, but that was a while ago.

I pay 14€ monthly for Internet and we are getting TV from that also.... crappy speed of Internet, but hey, for 14€ and the fact I live in a backwater village... complaining is the only thing I can do about it :D

By TV license OP means the fee you pay to the state owned media company, Radiotjänst collect fees on behalf of the government and pay to our state owned TV and Radio, in the UK, you pay the Government who pay the BBC.

To the non-UK folk, it might seem a strange concept but in the UK we are required to pay for a TV licence at  cost of £145.50 (226.80usd at time of writing) per year, or £49 if you have a black & white TV. Nope, Not even kidding about that still being a thing, apparently.

The licence is required if you view Live TV on any channel or device, in fact it is actually a Jail-able offence in some circumstances not to own one, if you do in fact use the services.

I recently moved into my own place and when the letter started rolling in to remanding me about the TV licence I took a little look online and found that the licence literally is only required, "If you watch TV as it is being broadcast" (Regardless of method used to watch)

Do I sacrifice my right to watch live TV, for an extra £145 per year I would have paid otherwise?

You're damn right I don't pay it.

So I was wondering, who of you are in the UK pay for it? How much Live TV do you actually watch? Is this the first you are hearing of not having to pay it? Am I morally wrong for not paying it seeing as I regularly use the content, albeit, not live?

The rest of the world! Do you have anything like this? Does the idea sound ridiculous to you? Or do you like the idea of paying a fee? Most of which funds multiple, ad free, politically unbiased channels? All with genuinely good quality content? (Content being Subjective of course.)

(Note; As just an example, Doctor Who is a licence fee funded production that could very well not exist in it's current state, if not for the fee. Who knows how different the world would be if it where ad funded like in the rest of the world!)

Source Link on Pricing & Rules

You need to be careful about not paying, you only have to look on youtube and other places on the internet, and the press, to see how many people have been taken to court. And these are including people who dont watch a live broadcast at all. Even if your tv isnt hooked up to any receiving equipment, they will try to imply that you are watching it through a pc/laptop, mobile device, or games console via the Iplayer. They dont care if you watch TV or not, and they will do whatever it takes to get your money. Their collectors will head to your home at some point, and they will try WILL pressure you until you pay up. If you refuse them entry to your home, they WILL come back with the police, and they WILL force their way in, and you WILL be arrested.

We get quite a lot of channels for 'free' (that our fee pays for) It used to be 5 but with digital switch-over we get about 60 (15 of which anyone really watches)

Do Americans get much without cable?

Depends on the city, Houston had about 10-12 last I knew. Haven't watched local tv in a long time.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

We don't have a TV licence. We pay a tax known as Yle-vero (translation: "Yle-tax"), which varies depending on income. The funding goes to the Finnish Broadcasting Company known as Yleisradio

Oh, and I'm 17, so I'm considered a minor, and minors plus people bellow certain income level don't need to pay that tax.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

As an American, I scoff at the concept and believe the UK gov would put a tax on breathing if they could get away with it. :P

I'd be damned if some weirdos came to my door demanding I pay a tax on a television set I don't even use. I'd tell them they can either get lost or say hello to the dog. For public broadcasting, you guys could learn from your gun loving cousins. Those networks that are publically funded are through donations. We don't have our government shaking you down for some idiotic tax.