Do You Pay For A TV Licence?

EvelynX

We get quite a lot of channels for 'free' (that our fee pays for) It used to be 5 but with digital switch-over we get about 60 (15 of which anyone really watches)

Do Americans get much without cable?

My family are cord-cutters, meaning that we just use a set-top box and an antenna for local stations. We get about 20-30 stations for free, and then we just use Netflix for the rest.

If you refuse them entry to your home, they WILL come back with the police, and they WILL force their way in, and you WILL be arrested.

Wait, police can do that there without proof of a felony? In the US, that's considered breaking and entering, even if it's the president.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

It gets paid by parents. I'm happy cos it means the BBC is advertisement free. 

Also getting to watch the live events in Full HD is ballin. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

My family are cord-cutters, meaning that we just use a set-top box and an antenna for local stations. We get about 20-30 stations for free, and then we just use Netflix for the rest.

Wait, police can do that there without proof of a felony? In the US, that's considered breaking and entering, even if it's the president.

The company (Capita) that collects the money for the TV license on the behalf of the BBC, and who employ the TV license enforcement officers, can apply to the county court for a search warrant. Once they have a warrant, they usually have the Police with them while executing it. But the police are only there to keep the peace, and nothing more. The Capita employees can then gain entry to the property, and then can use the same force as the Police can while executing a search Warrant.

Capita is a private company by the way, not a law enforcement agency. 

Most people end up getting arrested because the Capita employees are often asshats, they will pressure you and pressure you till you snap. Then they have you arrested by the police for obstruction of the search warrant. They can also caution you in the same way as law enforcement. 

Yeah, in the UK u have to pay for one if u are watching stuff live. 

I wont need one as i have on-demand Sky Movies, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime.

But my parents and sisters always watch tv so it is unavoidable 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro