Games that are better on PC than their console variants?

asim1999

E: Rather ask, which aren't.

Dynasty Warriors uses last-gen assets so I guess that counts.

Diablo 3 console has no online requirements.

Otherwise, some smaller games might really lack playerbase on the PC.

A lot of games get flak for being "underoptimized" and whatnot for PCs. With some games I can see the point, but oftentimes there are misses, too. Revengeance didn't support all resolutions, including what I had on my monitor, and the physics ran on CPU making Zangeki lag the game at very high part counts, but the game was never initially designed to be played on anything but the consoles. They released the game at a budget price in a working condition, with everything included, and still some players were nuts.

"Shadow of Mordor requires 6GB for Ultra Textures? Poorly optimized!" = Artists made the original textures at 4K detail and everything else is scaled down and compressed, they included those in the game so people with enough VRAM could use them if they so wanted.

I see PC as a superior platform in general, but mainly because of the freedom it has. Not necessarily the processor-crunching power, that hasn't really been a huge advantage for PC in years even if it is larger now than it was at the start of the previous gen. It's not like how it was when the first dedicated GPUs started hitting the market.

Yeah, in general, you can get >1080p and >30 fps on pc, latter of which is more important, but you're not really going to see any specific advantages of the PC unless the game was designed on the PC from it's inception - the control schemes tend to be console-bound. Graphics are really secondary, tbh, sometimes it really helps a lot aesthethically to have the settings higher buut oftentimes it just doesn't matter.

The Batman Arkham games are better on PC than 360, The 60fps on PC is a big improvement and makes timing in fighting a little easier.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

The Batman Arkham games are better on PC than 360, The 60fps on PC is a big improvement and makes timing in fighting a little easier.

Not only that. Games like Batman you can downsample from 4 k and beyond in Gedosato, and you could do this before Nvidia DSR/AMD VSR. Gedosato is still better for the older games. Can do the same with Mass Effects and then add 4k Texmod's and the first game has an all in one texture pack here.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mass-effect-1-new-texture-updatesimprovements-mod

Hell I will be surprised if nex gen remakes comes close to ME2/3 at a 4k downsample with 4 k tex mod's. Add to that? They will have to PAY for that remake. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Definitely not anything emulated, that's for sure. Some games not slated for the PC look like complete ass when emulated poorly - some even outright unplayable.

Definitely not anything emulated, that's for sure. Some games not slated for the PC look like complete ass when emulated poorly - some even outright unplayable.

Don't know about that. Mario Galaxies runs perfect on Dolphin now on even a non OC I5 4690 at like 3x IR (just built a mini itx for someone who can play them perfectly). Was pretty bad before HLE was improved, but is much better now. Add to that you can use the wii controllers with your old lightbar with a blue tooth dongle or motherboard.

Mario Galaxies 1 and 2 are stupidly better on Dolphin than Wii. They look like Toy Story at 4x IR 4xSSAA.  I posted some screenshots in the screenshot thread awhile back.

A few months ago? I would have agreed. Many games couldn't use HLE and you needed like a 4.5 ghz Haswell to play them with LLE and it would still stutter. Dolphin has skyrocketed in performance the last few months though. :)

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

GTA 1,2,3,VC all run better on consoles.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Hebert game except for bully because the controls are. Or even playable on PC unless you have a controller for your pc

Everyone that is saying all of them, I completely disagree with you. There are some games out there that are just meant to be played with a controller, with your friends on xBox or PS. An example of this is GTA V, even though you can use a controller on PC, GTA will just always feel right if you're playing it on the couch, with your friends fucking around at the airport. 

Wired xbox 360 controller. Steam in-home streaming or take your PC to the TV. Problem solved. Of just play at your desk and get a more comfortable desk chair. ;)

Ignore the people saying "all of them", they are plebs from the PCMR Sub-Reddit (and should probably go back there).

No, it's just a fact. That is, especially if we're talking about the last 2 generations of consoles (360/one and PS3/4). 

I'm not a PMCR advocate, just a realist. Or at least I try to be. The OP asked a very direct and objective question and that is the answer. I don't hate consoles, in fact I've very interested in buying a Wii U. The other two I just simply have no interest in, personally. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

off the top of my head FFXIV is apparently laggy on ps3, my sister plays it and hates bringing ps3 people along on content.

skyrim because mods

i really liked playing star wars episode 1 racer on PC instead of N64, the polygons were much sharper

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Pretty much anything not Ubisoft.

Ignore the people saying "all of them", they are plebs from the PCMR Sub-Reddit (and should probably go back there).

You are the only pleb from PCMR Sub-Reddit.

And you should not go back there(or go anywhere on internet).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Your peasantry and ignorance makes me laugh.

i almost died laughning when they made skyrim for the consoles  :D

oh and well every fucking startegy, simulator and so on game

Wicher series of course

and everything else that was coded and optimized properly :wub:

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Lmao tell that to every far cry 4 owner experiencing huge performances problems, as myself regardless of how powerful their rig is. At least there isn't any game crippling problems on its console counterpart. Get out of here with your blind sighted bias.

Lol regardless of graphics, what matters most for a multiplayer game is how accessible and how many players are able to get on the game. There has, and always will be more players on consoles for any AAA fps game that is multiplatform. Whether that is Titanfall, bf4, cod, etc..

Everyone that is saying all of them, I completely disagree with you. There are some games out there that are just meant to be played with a controller, with your friends on xBox or PS. An example of this is GTA V, even though you can use a controller on PC, GTA will just always feel right if you're playing it on the couch, with your friends fucking around at the airport. 

Sure, that's why they added FPS mode so you can aim poorly with console controllers, right?

Nothing is stopping anyone from playing their PC while sitting on the couch, unless your friends don't have PC(in which case that's your problem/fault).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

There are some games out there that are just meant to be played with a controller, with your friends on xBox or PS. An example of this is GTA V, even though you can use a controller on PC

You do know that the PC version of GTA V is redesigned with first person perspective right? And as such inherently would be better with a keyboard+mouse. Not to mention you can't really compare them anymore as they become different experiences.

And the third person experience sucks

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Lmao tell that to every far cry 4 owner experiencing huge performances problems, as myself regardless of how powerful their rig is. At least there isn't any game crippling problems on its console counterpart. Get out of here with your blind sighted bias.

I posted how you lock the game to 30 FPS on an AMD/Nvidia GPU. You can do this on ANY game. It takes a click or a couple clicks... You do this ONCE, not every time you open the damn game. 

Yup Far Cry 4 is a piece of crap at an unlocked 60 without a xml edit. At 30 FPS which is what the console version runs at? You can push 4k on a single OC card..with higher settings. So are you claiming that the PC than can run it at 4x the resolution without pop in problems and higher settings on a single GPU is worse? So is a Ferrari worse than a Yugo?

" At least there isn't any game crippling problems on its console counterpart. Get out of here with your blind sighted bias." AC Unity dropped to the teens on the console. It can't even keep 30. Farcry 4 has popin on textures and looks horrible. I suggest corrective lenses, since you want to call people blind and biased.

So you joined Linus Tech Tips and have 2 posts ever? Both selling and promoting consoles and one promoting the PAY to play online services on the consoles? HAHAHA.

In Topic: Games that are better on PC than their console variants?
Today, 05:27 AM
Lol regardless of graphics, what matters most for a multiplayer game is how accessible and how many players are able to get on the game. There has, and always will be more players on consoles for any AAA fps game that is multiplatform. Whether that is Titanfall, bf4, cod, etc..

In Topic: Games that are better on PC than their console variants?
Today, 05:21 AM

How stupid do you think people are? Do you think PC Gamers are gonna fall for this crap? Forum manipulation and dummy accounts promoting consoles with idiotic statements on a PC oriented site? Since you used TITANFALL,I know whom you represent. 

Scumbag MS. Now on every sub forum of LTT promoting their agenda and BS. RIP LTT.

Lol regardless of graphics, what matters most for a multiplayer game is how accessible and how many players are able to get on the game. There has, and always will be more players on consoles for any AAA fps game that is multiplatform. Whether that is Titanfall, bf4, cod, etc..

Nope, Battlefield has most players on PC.(Player count today : PC: 23.000 ,Ps3: 22.000 ,Ps4: 20.000,Xbox360: 6.900, XboxOne 6.100)

Steam has 60-70 mil members that is more than XboxOne, Ps4, and WiiU combined sales let alone online players.

And the games are more accessible on PC than they are on console since there is no pay wall for online play.

GTA 1,2,3,VC all run better on consoles.

No they don't, did you ever play them on PC ?

GTA VC:

ps2:

vicecityps2_001-large.jpg

PC:

1366298538_gtaiv-2013-04-18-11-35-58-54.

RTX2070OC 

In general PC versions of games are going to be better.  There are exceptions however.  In the Steam forums I've seen people complain that the PS3 version of Injustice: Gods Among Us than it does on the PC.  I don't know if that means it's easier to get combos off or whatever, but more than one person has made that complaint.  I do know that even after a year I:GAU is still buggy as shit on the PC.  My brother's computer we had to change it to 720P and turn off every enhancement for it to be playable, if we turned the resolution down more it wouldn't connect to anyone online.  Turns out it was it was an outdated motherboard bios, now it runs butter smooth at max settings.  There are other weird annoying server/connection bugs.  But most importantly there are a lot more people playing the PS3 version so you can actually get matched up to fight someone online.  As long as there are a decent number of players in the player pool it's probably a wash, but for older games like I:GAU then I'd much rather play on the PS3.

I would like to know, what PC port do you think was significantly better than the console version?

Any PC port that isn't locked to a sub-par resolution or framerate, that you'd want to adjust the settings on, or that benefits from having the option to play with a different input device. In other words, all cross-platform releases that I can think of.

While I suppose its conceivable that a developer could get their game close to the same experience between platforms, I struggle to think of a single scenario (aside from exclusives, of course) where a console experience could ever be better simply due to the fact that a PC is everything a console is, but with options.

Even though most of your arguments are just subjective preferences, I can still counter them: a PC can be used from a couch with whatever peripheral device you'd prefer to use. And it would actually play the game at your television's native resolution, without a locked framerate (where the developers didn't arbitrarily put one, anyway), and at whatever detail settings you'd prefer. It's called an HTPC.

pretty much every game I've ever played, I've enjoyed more on PC. if it plays better with a controller, i'll just hook one up. As far as the couch goes, my desk chair is comfortable enough, so i really don't care that much.

Even old console exclusives, especially PS2 ones can be played pretty well on an emulator. I recently started playing Ace Combat 5 (ps2 exclusive) on my PC. plugged in my controller and i had quite a bit of fun and the game ran very smoothly. Plus, with the emulator, i have the option of using a mouse + keyboard (which i find 10X more fun than a controller for Ace Combat 5), and i can play at native 1080p, which looks much better than whatever crappy res the PS2 natively uses.

someone earlier said that emulation isn't nearly as good as the real thing, but it depends on

1) how powerful your hardware is

2)Getting the settings dialed in so it runs smoothly

CPU: AMD FX8350 @4.4GHz | MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 990FX chipset | RAM: 16GB (4x4) dual channel Patriot Xtreme series DDR3 @1866MHz @1.65V | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Strix| PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 watt | CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S + additional Noctua NF-F12 | Case:Corsair C70 Black | Storage: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs; 1 for the OS, 2 in RAID 0 for games. 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs in raid 5 for bulk storage | Displays: 1x Dell 3007WFP 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS LCD. 1x I-Inc IH253DPB 25 inch 1920x1080 TN LCD | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches + Blue LED backlight | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro | Mouse: Logitech G600 @1100 DPI | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit | 

Mfg/model number: Clevo/W355SSQ | CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ @3.5GHz  | MOBO: W35xSS_370SS, HM87 Chipset | RAM: 16GB (2x8) dual channel Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1866MHz | GPU: GTX860m 2GB Gddr5 | Battery: 76,960mW/h 8 Cell battery, 3 Hrs full on a full charge | Storage: 1x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for the OS. 1x WD Red 1TB HDD For storage and games | Displays: 1x 15.6" 1080p LCD | Keyboard: Full 103 key back-lit keyboard | Mouse: Logitech M510 | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit |

What about Dark Souls. That shit never runs right compared to the console.

Yes it did. Ran fine on my PC. You simply install DSfix and don't use any in-game AA. There were other tweaks that could be done to remove/change the 30fps limit as well.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS