Can you press charges over this?

Deletive

So here in our wonderful country of Canada...

This guy in my class was like harrassing girls at our school, let trying to convince them into sex and such.

I confronted this guy, started normally things after awhile got a little physical and I was threw the first punch and he went done after that and things broke out.

This left him with a black eye, Now telling people he might press charges against me. 

I only confronted him over the fact that he went around trying to convince girls into underaged sex. 

I think it would be a waste of my time and their own over something that started and ended in the span of less then 2 minutes.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You did assault him but I doubt anything will happen. It will most likely just be dealt with through your school

So here in our wonderful country of Canada...

This guy in my class was like harrassing girls at our school, let trying to convince them into sex and such.

I confronted this guy, started normally things after awhile got a little physical and I was threw the first punch and he went done after that and things broke out.

This left him with a black eye, Now telling people he might press charges against me. 

I only confronted him over the fact that he went around trying to convince girls into underaged sex. 

I think it would be a waste of my time and their own over something that started and ended in the span of less then 2 minutes.

Yeah, you did assault him.

But by charges does he mean cry to the principal? Probably. Spend thousands on legal bills over a black eye? Probably not.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I would threaten to counter sue for him doing that to the girls, and then he will probably back down.

Although, I doubt he will go through with it.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

You did assault him but I doubt anything will happen. It will most likely just be dealt with through your school

Schools deal with everything that doesn't deal with drugs/weapons/at home problems. Suspension for both partys is the normal thing in the states. 

Schools deal with everything that doesn't deal with drugs/weapons/at home problems. Suspension for both partys is the normal thing in the states. 

Not always

He's probably too stupid to even know the procedure to press charges against somebody, and he is probably too poor to afford a lawyer that would do that for him.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah, you did assault him.

But by charges does he mean cry to the principal? Probably. Spend thousands on legal bills over a black eye? Probably not.

I was told what I did was assault and by charges he means court. But over a single punch, I think it's a bit of a stretch.

I would threaten to counter sue for him doing that to the girls, and then he will probably back down.

Although, I doubt he will go through with it.

I was actually preparing a counter sue over him if he does press charges against me. 

He's probably too stupid to even know the procedure to press charges against somebody, and he is probably too poor to afford a lawyer that would do that for him.

He has only been here for a 3 months and lives in a lower middle class home.

My family lives in a middle/upper middle class neighbour with fairly good jobs. Hopefully he is though.

Did he hit you back?

He was going to but slipped on the floor and then the teachers broke it up.

You will probably both be suspended. At least that is how it generally works here.

My parents are completely fine with my suspension. he hasn't been talked to over the things he's done as of yet.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's Canada, you can't defend yourself or anyone else and not be charged. 

Luckily for you, It's Canada so you wont be punished for anything.

Seriously though, If he goes to the police over it they will most likely talk him out of pressing charges because they don't want to have to dedicate resources to dealing with something so minor.

Or, seeing your in Vancouver, just tell him your connected with one of the local gangs so he's too scared to talk. 

So it sounds to me like you're in high school.

Coming from a fellow Canadian high school I'm quite confident in saying you're fine. He just got embarrassed, and wants to get to you. Nobody in their right mind would take a case about some >18 kid getting punched in the face by another >18 kid for whatever nonimportant high school drama reason.

Your best bet is just to drop the whole thing. Don't make a big deal about it at school, trying to be bigger or tougher or intimidating. Just drop the entire thing, and it's way more likely to de-escalate that way, and you'll have to deal with less drama/shit down the road.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Coming from a fellow Canadian high school I'm quite confident in saying you're fine. He just got embarrassed, and wants to get to you. Nobody in their right mind would take a case about some >18 kid getting punched in the face by another >18 kid for whatever nonimportant high school drama reason.

Your best bet is just to drop the whole thing. Don't make a big deal about it at school, trying to be bigger or tougher or intimidating. Just drop the entire thing, and it's way more likely to de-escalate that way, and you'll have to deal with less drama/shit down the road.

I've already tried my best to de-escalate the whole thing. Because it's a small school of 500 people everyone in the school can know to word of mouth. But i'll try to take you advise to the best of my ability till things settle down more.

Computing enthusiast. 

As much as it pains me to agree with someone from Calgary, this pretty much sums it up.

They only way an the police would really take this seriously would be if it was a case of bullying and it doesn't sound like it is.

As much as it pains me to agree with someone from Calgary, this pretty much sums it up.

They only way an the police would really take this seriously would be if it was a case of bullying and it doesn't sound like it is.

It was one of the first times we talked and I have no problem with not ever talking to him again. 

thanks guys for your quick replies and answers :D 

Computing enthusiast. 

Maybe something will happen in school but definetely not court...

Good that you punched that asshole.

Haha I remember 6th grade - one got a black eye from my friend lol.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Doubt anything will come of it, but since I'm in Scotland I could be waaay off the mark.

But kids get in scraps all the time at school, and minor brawls happen in bars and nightclubs all the time too. Rarely amounts to anything unless it gets out of hand or is witnessed by the police haha.

Since I don't know how things work in the Canadian courts this post is void from the beginning (I know) but in my country this is how it would likely go down ..

You are not a judge and you are not the police. If you decide to go judge someones action and then take physical action against that someone - like you did, then you better be able to defend that you were in fact protecting those girls against physical harm under some sort of self-defense statue, otherwise you will most likely be convicted for assaulting that guy. You would have been expected to call the police and optionally take a defensive stance instead.

However, we usually don't go about suing everybody left and right over stuff so you'd probably be just fine.

·· When I die i wan't to go peacefully - in my sleep, like my granddad - Not screaming in terror, like his passengers ··

·· [ while (!asleep()) { $sheep++} ] :: [ The Cave ] ··

We live in an age where spit is considered an assault, where people act like babies when you say a non PC word and sue for millions..and win. Dunno how in works in Canada, but people who have done less have been punished and it sucks one can not defend others anymore without some bullshit involving the legal system. However, if this guy thinks he's tough with some cred, he wouldn't do a thing or else risk looking like a pansy.

All you need to do is make sure the girls in this situation aren't getting harmed; it is them that you need to be worrying about most, because it's technically rape (as they are under the age of consent). If they are, talk to them, not to the guy.

The guy (by the way) is fine where he is, talking to girls is no crime and I'm sure that if that girl did not want to have sex with him, they would simply say no. Harmless fun is fine as long as it's actually harmless, if he is being exploitative, that's something that's wrong.

What I find inexcusable is that you seem to have not used any tact in this argument, you said that you approached him about it. This isn't the way you usually do it dude, you have to bring it up on light conversation; say something like "you whore" jokingly idk and see what his views on it are so that you can see the other side of the argument. Remember, it's all about making sure he's comfortable with the conversation. This kind of thing is confrontational, no-one is comfortable about talking about personal stuff in this manner.

Also, what the fuck is with kicking off on him? There was no need whatsoever, it was tactless, stupid and unwitty. Like seriously, it wasn't the thing to do at all, please apologise to him right away. You're wrong to kick off on him, you were clearly not thinking logically there, something that's regrettable. It almost seems like jealousy to me, it's kind of like "I can't get gal so I fight person who can get gal" type of situation, which is wrong (obviously).

It's not something you can press charges on really, something you'd be glad to know. In any situation, anyone with sense would let it go. It's really something that you should've avoided, violence is inexcusable.

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

Not always

Most of the time, unless they want the police to get involved, and for small fights thats a very low thing to have happen. But for the sexual harassment of the other kid, he can actually be arrested. But this is going off the states.

All you need to do is make sure the girls in this situation aren't getting harmed; it is them that you need to be worrying about most, because it's technically rape (as they are under the age of consent). If they are, talk to them, not to the guy.

The guy (by the way) is fine where he is, talking to girls is no crime and I'm sure that if that girl did not want to have sex with him, they would simply say no. Harmless fun is fine as long as it's actually harmless, if he is being exploitative, that's something that's wrong.

What I find inexcusable is that you seem to have not used any tact in this argument, you said that you approached him about it. This isn't the way you usually do it dude, you have to bring it up on light conversation; say something like "you whore" jokingly idk and see what his views on it are so that you can see the other side of the argument. Remember, it's all about making sure he's comfortable with the conversation. This kind of thing is confrontational, no-one is comfortable about talking about personal stuff in this manner.

Also, what the fuck is with kicking off on him? There was no need whatsoever, it was tactless, stupid and unwitty. Like seriously, it wasn't the thing to do at all, please apologise to him right away. You're wrong to kick off on him, you were clearly not thinking logically there, something that's regrettable. It almost seems like jealousy to me, it's kind of like "I can't get gal so I fight person who can get gal" type of situation, which is wrong (obviously).

It's not something you can press charges on really, something you'd be glad to know. In any situation, anyone with sense would let it go. It's really something that you should've avoided, violence is inexcusable.

Literally the worst post in this entire thread. You don't make light of the situation, you strait up call him out. Jokingly call him a whore??? Wat. Also they're both 18 or even if the girl is 16 and he is 18 it's not illegal.

Sounds like the ladies now know what kind of guy you are. AMIRITE?

Unless you float in the other direction.

According to dutch law:

Yes you can press charges, and yes you will most likely will be found guilty, The judge will probably tell you that you should have called the police ( Even in the case of a you getting robbed in your house you are not allowed to do anything other than calling the police.) You will probably face two options:

-Jail for a week or so

-A fine that's 1-5K

-You have already ''suffered'' enough that you won't be punished ( I know this sounds strange, I will not explain this as it is kind of in-depth to do so.)

If the prosecutor does not find this enough he can go appeal it and make a higher ''judicial ''body'' decide whether the black eye has had an impact in his life in such way that he deserves a compensation. E.g. He had a job interview and did not get the job because of the black eye. 

Charges can go as high as 1 million euros.

I know it's probably different in other countries but there's some (strange and stupid IMO) dutch law for you. 

Interested in Business and Technology

A bunch of the lawyers here are confusing 'pressing charges' with filing a lawsuit. As for nowadays in the US, schools all have police officers in them, and the school will usually defer to them in any kind of incident that can be a legal offense. Also, both pressing charges and filing lawsuits will require the individual to be of age, which is 17 or 18 here depending on the state, otherwise it will take a guardian to take legal actions like that, but the police in some situations can file charges with the state as a victim.