Why do people hate Microsoft also?

Go to solution Solved by Cavin8,

They pulled a nvidia on us (they skipped 9) and I will hate them forever for that. NDnIG2j.gif

Vista was just ahead of its time and a bit poorly optimised. 7 runs a lot better than Vista on any PC.

No it doesn't. If anything, 7 runs worse than Vista.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Microsoft (windows) is very bad with 4K support or anything higher and causes problems for anyone running those resolutions.

I got my first new computer at the start of Februrary with Windows 7 installed. I found out a month later that support was ending. WTF are they thinking, after seeing what vista was like and even using it, and then going from XP to 7 they had clearly built the true successor to their previous OSs. Now I will be forced to fork out a shitload of money just to be able to use the latest programs next year. And come on, only a single service pack for 7 when all other versions of the OS received more? I'm sensing money grabbing.

I'd just like to correct a misconception you seem to have @ (of course, correct me if you already knew this). Support for Windows 7 is NOT ending soon. "Mainstream Support" ends in January 2015. That means no new features added in. Which is fine, and makes sense, given that the OS is 5 years old, with a new OS already out for several years (and another new OS due out next year).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

This is of course standard Microsoft practice, and we've known these dates since the day each OS was released. This was by no means a surprise to anyone informed.

Windows 7 will have extended support until 2020... that's ANOTHER five years from now. That means bug fixes, patches, security hot fixes, etc, will all continue to be issued.

Furthermore, Windows 7 doesn't need another Service Pack, except maybe just to consolidate all the Windows Updates into one large download. Windows XP needed 3 service packs because it was A FUCKING MESS when it was released. It was worse then Vista + 8 combined. Buggy, slow, and no driver support. Windows Vista needed 2 service packs because it was also quite buggy, though not as bad as Windows XP was when released.

I don't know your age, but perhaps you were too young to experience these things.

Anyway, the TL;DR of it is that Windows 7 will still continue to support x86 applications for the foreseeable future. You needn't worry about software compatibility.

Because of the stupid Activation system and their lie about Windows XP. 

But I love Windows 8! 

Can you elaborate on the "Lie of Windows XP"? What exactly are you referring to? Not saying you're wrong, but your statement is super vague :P

They basically ruined nokia's phone business. They got rid of the branding, which i think was a terrible mistake, as well.

Also, the surface pro 3 is just way to expensive. It's a great device, but a thousand dollars for an i3 and 4gb of ram? That's just ridiculous.

Also windows. It's just one big giant cluster f of problems. Like seriously, windows 8 is definitley better as an OS than 7,  but it's not nearly so refined. How did they mess up so bad? It's like 2 old and 1 new OS and their visual details mashed into one and it pissed me off. Also they charge a lot for it, which is just ridiculous, as OSX has been like 20 bucks for a full copy for all future versions for years.

How can Microsoft ruin a company that is already going bankrupt? Why does everyone forget this? Nokia was DYING. Microsoft saved it (Not just their mobile division - their ENTIRE COMPANY) from the brink of total destruction. Microsoft was a Bear that had been stabbed through the chest by an elk, rotting in the sun, dying, for 5 days with no food or water.

Why does no one remember this? You may disagree with Microsoft's goal or direction in regards to Windows Phone 7/8/10, but Nokia would literally not exist today - in any form - if Microsoft had not given them the money they needed. They were worse off then Sony and AMD combined.

Also, not to nitpick, but the i3/4GB RAM model of the Surface Pro 3 is actually $849*, not $1000. It's a lot, definitely. But you're not comparing it to a 3-kilogram $400 piece of shit brick that's entirely made out of plastic. You should be comparing it to a comparable, high quality, Ultrabook. Of course, they could always shave a few dollars off the top, make it a bit more affordable, but anyone who's actually used a Service Pro 3 knows they are worth it. Anyone who doesn't think they are worth it, generally would never need a device like that anyway. We just got our CEO a Surface Pro 3, and fuck, that thing is worth every penny, it's so goddamn nice.

*Regional pricing may vary*

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Microsoft (windows) is very bad with 4K support or anything higher and causes problems for anyone running those resolutions.

I will definitely agree with this. Here's hoping that Windows 10 will improve DPI scaling across the entire platform. Of course, the biggest issue is that software developers are still not making DPI friendly applications, so it's up to Windows to attempt to scale an improperly designed application. Obviously the scaling isn't perfect yet.

Cross your fingers, and if you haven't already, make sure to suggest high DPI scaling in the Official Windows 10 feature suggestion forum.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Also, not to nitpick, but the i3/4GB RAM model of the Surface Pro 3 is actually $849*, not $1000. It's a lot, definitely. But you're not comparing it to a 3-kilogram $400 piece of shit brick that's entirely made out of plastic. You should be comparing it to a comparable, high quality, Ultrabook. Of course, they could always shave a few dollars off the top, make it a bit more affordable, but anyone who's actually used a Service Pro 3 knows they are worth it. Anyone who doesn't think they are worth it, generally would never need a device like that anyway. We just got our CEO a Surface Pro 3, and fuck, that thing is worth every penny, it's so goddamn nice.

*Regional pricing may vary*

The keyboard. It's not going to be very useful without the keyboard, now is it? And that's over a hundred dollars if i remember correctly.

So the I3 and 4Gb of ram is about a thousand dollars, which even with ultrabook pricing, is ridiculous.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The keyboard. It's not going to be very useful without the keyboard, now is it? And that's over a hundred dollars if i remember correctly.

So the I3 and 4Gb of ram is about a thousand dollars, which even with ultrabook pricing, is ridiculous.

Actually, it's quite useful without a Keyboard... Hence the TABLET form factor. Sure, you're not gonna be writing C# code on the touchscreen keyboard, but it's still quite productive, even for light office work. Not to mention, you don't need to buy the expensive 1st party Microsoft Surface keyboard. Any Bluetooth or wireless keyboard will work, or even a straight up traditional USB keyboard.

But yes, even comparing to other Ultrabooks, it's a bit pricier, but compare it to comparable convertible ultrabooks, and you'll see a different tune all together. Regular ultrabooks cannot detach the keyboard for when you're in a rush and need to be ultra mobile and save weight, for example. Not all ultrabooks have touch screens, or a ridiculously high quality digitizer pen. Seriously, you can cursive write with that pen and it will look just as good as if you wrote on paper.

I'm fine with Microsoft. I like windows 8.1 better than 7.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Ehh... I don't "hate" microsoft, I just hate what they are doing with their OS.
Windows 8 was a step back compared to Windows 7. Windows 10 fixes many of those issues at least...

On desktop, as a power user I hate many things about Win8.1, hated the fact I needed to install a third party software to get a start menu that was useful, hated how the increased protection on the program files kept nagging at me even with UAC off, amongst many other issues.

On a tablet, it wasn't so bad, I don't use my tablet to do anything too extensive so I didn't need admin access to program files or needed a dedicated start menu. It also controlled pretty well with the touchscreen, but, my biggest gripe with it...

The on-screen keyboard... It works fine in modern apps, open and close when I need it, but honestly, I NEVER use those apps, they are entirely useless to me, I'm not a social person, I don't travel, I don't care about the stock market, keep all your useless junk off my devices.
As such, on my tablet, if I'm not reading a novel or something, I'm in Desktop View...
And Microsoft, in all their glory, decided that the on-screen keyboard wouldn't pop up automatically in Desktop, nor close by itself when not in use.

Big annoyance, not so bad at first, but it gets old, fast.

Think on your phone, if you had to press a button each time you wanted to type something, instead of just tapping a text field and have it pop up, you'd have to first tap the text field and then tap the keyboard button, after you're done, manually close the keyboard... Yeah, it'd be annoying.

I tried some third party tools, but they are imperfect or ask you to pay like $30 for a feature that should've been built-in...

As such, I had almost given up using my Windows 8.1 tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro), but, then I decided, why not try Windows 10? I installed it and oh joy they fixed the keyboard issue. So now I'm rocking the technical preview on my tablet, it's relatively stable, didn't have it crash once and I love it so far.
i1jkec.jpg

Yes, font is bigger than normal, because microsoft still hasn't figured out proper scaling for smaller devices. Now if I could get rid of that Notification Center BS, the thing right beside the clock, I'd be happier. I tried disabling the notifications, but all it did is put a red circle on the icon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Can you elaborate on the "Lie of Windows XP"? What exactly are you referring to? Not saying you're wrong, but your statement is super vague :P

They were supposed to take off activation keys when XP was no longer supported. Then when the time came, they did not. So you still need a key to use a non-supported OS. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I USE GOOGLE DRIVE! I only use Google Docs for homework too unless I have to write it. Just more convenient

I feel like Google Drive also kinda understands if you're trying to do something in French or any other language for that matter it doesn't freak out at you like Office does.

Another reason I don't fancy Microsoft is because in OS X I can hold down any key (e for example) and I can get e accent acute or e accent grave, etc.

Windows the only way I know how is to go into the Character Map and that is just so inefficient. (I suppose another solution is buying a French keyboard and setting Windows to French but if I can't get a French keyboard it kinda comes in handy to have the ability to access accents with out the hassle Windows gives you.) 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

No it doesn't. If anything, 7 runs worse than Vista.

It in all honesty depends on the computer. I upgraded my Grandmother's Compaq CQ60 (Pentium dual core @ 2.0GHz, upgraded to 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD upgraded, integrated intel graphics) from Vista to Windows 7 and one of her first comments is that it was a lot faster.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'd just like to correct a misconception you seem to have @ (of course, correct me if you already knew this). Support for Windows 7 is NOT ending soon. "Mainstream Support" ends in January 2015. That means no new features added in. Which is fine, and makes sense, given that the OS is 5 years old, with a new OS already out for several years (and another new OS due out next year).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

This is of course standard Microsoft practice, and we've known these dates since the day each OS was released. This was by no means a surprise to anyone informed.

Windows 7 will have extended support until 2020... that's ANOTHER five years from now. That means bug fixes, patches, security hot fixes, etc, will all continue to be issued.

My mistake, from what I've seen I was lead to believe that it  was a full end of support the same as XP. And they haven't added new features to Windows 7 anyway since they started talking about windows 8, so loss of mainstream support doesn't mean much.

PMSL

It in all honesty depends on the computer. I upgraded my Grandmother's Compaq CQ60 (Pentium dual core @ 2.0GHz, upgraded to 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD upgraded, integrated intel graphics) from Vista to Windows 7 and one of her first comments is that it was a lot faster.

Sure, but WHY was it faster?

Was it faster due to a freshly upgraded Windows?

Did you perform an upgrade install of 7 or a clean install? Was there the typical Compaq bloatware on the Vista install? Was that same bloatware installed on the 7 install? There are many factors.

Furthermore it could simply be the placebo affect from having something "Brand new" in front of her.

But in my own personal experience, Windows 7 generally runs the same - or faster - than Vista does.

I'm fine with Microsoft. I like windows 8.1 better than 7.

Me too.  The only thing I don't like is the Metro side of it.  I don't even use it.  I haven't bothered to look if there's a way to disable it, but I'd imagine there is.  Everything else I think is fine.  

I'm gonna need to ween my son off of 7 eventually. 

Did you perform an upgrade install of 7 or a clean install? Was there the typical Compaq bloatware on the Vista install? Was that same bloatware installed on the 7 install? There are many factors.

Furthermore it could simply be the placebo affect from having something "Brand new" in front of her.

But in my own personal experience, Windows 7 generally runs the same - or faster - than Vista does.

It was a straight upgrade, with all of the original programs re-installed as necessary. Though with my Vista 'compatible' laptop, Vista actually worked better as an upgrade than windows 7 (tecra M5 2.16GHz centrino duo-had to run it in classic mode, and it still had issues)

PMSL

Never been into Xbox myself so....

it was a beautiful experience before 2010. 

original and early 360 days were the shit yo. (im gehto now. okay? x'D )

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

i find myself dealing with my mom being all ''oh my gawds dis is soo much faster'' then two minutes later complainer about needing to wait for some things.

its a new device. of course it feels faster. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I hate Windows but don't necessarily hate MS (yet) because I can personally choose to not use their stuff. By choose in this sense, I mean realistically without compromises - I don't need or want applications for either work or personal life that requires Windows.

There is gaming but I'm feeling more and more like gaming has died for me. I never have the initiative to actually play. Also if I feel like I need to game to justify the purchase of my graphics card I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Microsoft gets crap for being a big, evil company like Apple, that's all it really boils down to. I think they've made some absolutely brilliant stuff, but they've made bullshit sometimes, i.e. their habit of good-bad-good-bad OSes is just completely ridiculous.

i.e. their habit of good-bad-good-bad OSes is just completely ridiculous.

And a complete fallacy born from internet ignorance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And a complete fallacy born from internet ignorance.

Yuppppppppppp.

XP was crap on release, but then great after service packs, but somehow escaped a terrible reputation.

Vista was crap on release, then great after service packs, but somehow retains a terrible reputation.

7 was great for most users.

8 was good, but so extremely different that many users were afraid to try it or learn it. Has very very bad reputation.

8.1 was even better, but mostly retains the reputation of 8.

I could go on with the older versions, but with the average user being younger here, it's hardly worth it, since most of them have never used 98 (original or SE), 2000, or ME.

Windows ME is probably the only TRULY crap OS Microsoft has released since the pre 98 days.

@dalekphalm Windows 95, 98 and ME were not that crappy, kinda buggy because they didn't have Windows NT HAL yet.

Windows 95 and 98 were not crappy at all (Aside from the various bug fixes that every OS needs).

Windows ME however, had a known memory leak issue where closing a program did not free it from the memory pool. It also had many unresolved bugs that were never patched. Of course, I'm sure some users had no bad experiences, but ME justly deserves it's bad name.

Yuppppppppppp.

XP was crap on release, but then great after service packs, but somehow escaped a terrible reputation.

Vista was crap on release, then great after service packs, but somehow retains a terrible reputation.

7 was great for most users.

8 was good, but so extremely different that many users were afraid to try it or learn it. Has very very bad reputation.

8.1 was even better, but mostly retains the reputation of 8.

I could go on with the older versions, but with the average user being younger here, it's hardly worth it, since most of them have never used 98 (original or SE), 2000, or ME.

Windows ME is probably the only TRULY crap OS Microsoft has released since the pre 98 days.

I personally found that constant defrags with ME kept it running well. I do miss the faster start up times on HDD though, new versions of windows always require SSDs to get near the same speed.

PMSL