Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia

Not really without mass production, but that's really expensive to setup (think $30k to $100k or more).

Kick starter? I think a lot of people would back this. Me included if I could get my hands on some cash.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Kick starter? I think a lot of people would back this. Me included if I could get my hands on some cash.

To clarify, it'd cost that much just to get the tooling for mass-production. That doesn't include the cost of labor and materials to actually produce them.

Maybe you can make the handle optional, since you said somewhere it's about $50.

Yeah, it's looking like the handle will be an option rather than default.

I'm assuming that since this case will be made in the US, shipping and import duties will be low for North Americans at least. 

That was the issue with the M1: shipping and import duties cost a lot (at least to where I live in Canada).

Scouring the interwebs, one page at a time. 

Import taxes in Europe are always awfull, easily adds another 60 euros to the price.

I just want to say that I hope all goes well with the manufacture of this case and that I eagerly await it's final unveiling! I'm planning a new build some time mid-2015 and Nova is at the top of my shortlist currently. Absolutely love the size too!

P.S. pls try for $250 as aussie import taxes and shipping will destroy me!

I just want to say that I hope all goes well with the manufacture of this case and that I eagerly await it's final unveiling! I'm planning a new build some time mid-2015 and Nova is at the top of my shortlist currently. Absolutely love the size too!

P.S. pls try for $250 as aussie import taxes and shipping will destroy me!

From all the things I hear on this forum, Australia sounds really really expensive to me.

I'm assuming that since this case will be made in the US, shipping and import duties will be low for North Americans at least. 

That was the issue with the M1: shipping and import duties cost a lot (at least to where I live in Canada).

Someone mentioned earlier that there shouldn't be any import fees for you Canadians due to NAFTA.

From all the things I hear on this forum, Australia sounds really really expensive to me.

It seems artificially expensive for computer stuff too, they're much closer to the factories than North America.

Someone mentioned earlier that there shouldn't be any import fees for you Canadians due to NAFTA.

Unfortunately there is a few things to take into account that I'm not sure of. Though "Computer cases of aluminum" made in the US are duty free thanks to NAFTA, currency conversion and provincial taxes do still apply. When/if this does go into production, what currency will you guys be dealing with?

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Unfortunately there is a few things to take into account that I'm not sure of. Though "Computer cases of aluminum" made in the US are duty free thanks to NAFTA, currency conversion and provincial taxes do still apply. When/if this does go into production, what currency will you guys be dealing with?

I assume computer case of steel wouldn't make a difference?

It'd be USD since the company will be based out of the USA.

Not sure, and I can't use the calculator I was using again without paying for a subscription. And I can't find another that is as good, more depth with this one than any I've seen. http://www.dutycalculator.com/

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I wonder if we could get @LinusTech to review this....

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

@LinusTech recently reviewed the Ncase M1 so he might be interested in doing a review of Nova, once it becomes available.

I wonder if we could get @LinusTech to review this....

@LinusTech recently reviewed the Ncase M1 so he might be interested in doing a review of Nova, once it becomes available.

We've actually thought about how we can make Nova available to interested reviewers, looking ahead. And, of course, we'd welcome input and opinion from the likes of Linus, the same as we try to hear from you all :) But to be honest, at this moment we're very much focused on perfecting the design, and getting manufacturing figured out (and sharing our work, of course!).

In the near future, we'll dedicate more of our time to community outreach, communicating with the press and reviewers, and so forth. This will be especially true as we go into a crowdfunding campaign. But until then, we just want to make Nova the best it can be.

So after another check (Thanks @tobo) there doesn't seem to be another option for cases other than the 'of aluminum' one. But regardless it's still a US built product so it should fall under NAFTA's rules.

That aside, currency conversion and shipping are still a problem. Assuming a purchase price of $250USD & $30USD (Just a number, I'm assuming higher) shipping I'm looking at about $370CDN to Manitoba.

In the near future, we'll dedicate more of our time to community outreach, communicating with the press and reviewers, and so forth. This will be especially true as we go into a crowdfunding campaign. But until then, we just want to make Nova the best it can be.

TBH the visual looks of the case are spot on.

IMHO the one improvement that would be great for the current design is to make it about 1-2 inches taller. Visually you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference

An increase in height would make the case much more appealing for SLI configurations and also for water-cooling - proving more breathing room/clearance for a thicker 2nd GPU or allowing for thicker bottom mounted radiators/fans.

Also WC tubing cutouts in the back of the case will be a nice touch.

TBH the visual looks of the case are spot on.

IMHO the one improvement that would be great for the current design is to make it about 1-2 inches taller. Visually you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference

An increase in height would make the case much more appealing for SLI configurations and also for water-cooling - proving more breathing room/clearance for a thicker 2nd GPU or allowing for thicker bottom mounted radiators/fans.

Also WC tubing cutouts in the back of the case will be a nice touch.

Most of the design changes we're looking at address simple ways to improve thermal performance, or shift mounting points and component locations to relocate space to where it's most useful. So, you know, nothing too dramatic, but in the aggregate, all the improvements will be very beneficial. So we'd be remiss not to make them.

One example of a design change we're considering, that's actually very similar to your suggestion, would eliminate the top-mounted fan (which we've demonstrated experimentally isn't effective), and then use that reclaimed volume to add vertical height to the bottom, as well as make the case a little wider. This would improve compatibility with bottom-mounted radiators, and potentially reclaim a PCI slot for those who choose to use the 3.5" drive cage (which is itself another new feature). All without increasing the volume of the case one bit!

Of course, such a change has many implications that would need to be addressed, the least of which is the need for a much lower profile power connector for the power supply. As such, these modifications require time to explore and vet properly - time that we're spending (and will continue to spend) as we reach out to manufacturers and get a better sense of what production will look like.

Looking forwards to sticking a Monsta 240 Radiator in the bottom  :P

Looking forwards to sticking a Monsta 240 Radiator in the bottom  :P

If you could somehow connect a Monsta to a AIO pump/res combo that would be just amazing..

Ok, I am now interested in designing and building my own Mini-ATX case after seeing this and watching the reviews of the NCASE M3.

I just have one question. How did you get started? I know you started with designing in Sketchup but where did you get the measurements? Like the MOBO standoff standards, PCI slots, Radiator mounting, PSU mounting measurements etc. And you said earlier that you used Sketchup because there were premade components you could use to "test fit" Where did you get those?

Any help you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated :)

SketchUp is easy to use and there's pre-made models available but keep in mind it is not a proper CAD program so it may be difficult to get your design manufactured using it.

If you're a student you can get access to various CAD programs for free or cheap so you may look into that.

Links:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/ General SketchUp model warehouse. Proceed with caution, some of the parts there are very unaccurate

http://scc.jezmckean.com/ Repository of computer parts for SketchUp. Note: some models are pretty accurate but some are not

http://grabcad.com/ 3D models, more for CAD programs

http://www.formfactors.org/ PDFs of the official specs for motherboards, PSUs, etc.

http://www.protocase.com/resources/ Good info on case design even if you don't use them for manufacturing

This in particular was very helpful and I can personally vouch for its accuracy: http://scc.jezmckean.com/item/509

<snip>

Yea... I'm gonna be using Autodesk Inventor primary. I have taken 3 high school classes with it now ;)

I have tied learning Sketchup and for anyone that has used any Autodesk program, it sucks. It's just not good enough for accurate design at all.

Thanks for the resources though! I can't wait to get started! I'm thinking of a Mini-ATX design with room for AiO's and a horizontal MOBO layout. :)

Yea... I'm gonna be using Autodesk Inventor primary. I have taken 3 high school classes with it now ;)

I have tied learning Sketchup and for anyone that has used any Autodesk program, it sucks. It's just not good enough for accurate design at all.

Thanks for the resources though! I can't wait to get started! I'm thinking of a Mini-ATX design with room for AiO's and a horizontal MOBO layout. :)

Well you're off to a good start then. Practically every metal shop uses SolidWorks but Inventor can export to STP files that the shop can work with.

Yeah, SketchUp is free and easy but it's very lacking for getting stuff manufactured.

As a note, microATX is the 4-slot board like Nova is for and Mini-ITX is the small, single slot board like the M1 uses.

There is such a thing as Mini-ATX but no one uses it.

Well you're off to a good start then. Practically every metal shop uses SolidWorks but Inventor can export to STP files that the shop can work with.

Yeah, SketchUp is free and easy but it's very lacking for getting stuff manufactured.

As a note, microATX is the 4-slot board like Nova is for and Mini-ITX is the small, single slot board like the M1 uses.

There is such a thing as Mini-ATX but no one uses it.

Oh yea. Opps! I get names mixed up sometimes. I meant Micro-ATX :P derp

Not really without mass production, but that's really expensive to setup (think $30k to $100k or more).

How much would it cost for a guy in Washington State?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.