Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia

Still testing, I'm going to be doing a lot of thermal testing later today with different fan configurations. Trying to figure out if the top fan is necessary, if it can go that space can be shifted to the bottom allowing more clearance for radiators, 3.5" drives, etc.

Got something like 32 configs to test  :P

So different fan positions, but also different fans? wow 32 configs, coffee and more coffee probably

Nice pics btw. I don't know if it was mentioned before but what camera do you use? And that white drop looks awesome!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

So different fan positions, but also different fans? wow 32 configs, coffee and more coffee probably

Just different fan configs, CPU coolers, and GPUs, and some with the 2x3.5" drive cage from the M1. I'm still waiting on one heatsink so only have 19 to do today.

Nice pics btw. I don't know if it was mentioned before but what camera do you use? And that white drop looks awesome!

It's a Canon T2i with the 60mm macro lens. It's an older model but it does what I need. Absolutely love the lens, super sharp and not too expensive.

I forgot to get a working hard drive to read the temperature so that leaves 16.

I'm running 10 minutes idle and 10 minutes Prime95+FurMark though, not very exciting  :P

Get a patent on that shit, that's a really nice case!

Nothing really worth patenting, the layout isn't that special and patents are expensive and time-consuming to get. I'm not too worried, it's too niche for the big case manufacturers to bother with.

Here's a pic of the setup I'm using for the thermal test, excuse the mess  :P

Nova-00_thermal-testing-setup.jpg

damn DAMN

damn impressive

how much did it cost u to make this case

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

@lutewan

Did cost him....

....uhhhm

About this much :D

$480 design/engineering services

$70 setup fee

$2048.52 manufacturing for one unit

Total: $2598.52

Great work, that case is amazing! i may need to rethink my plans of moving my system in a node 804 ^^

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Thanks!

Thanks, I really like the proportions of the case too.

Here's a mockup I did to see how water cooling would work, this is the Alphacool ST30 240mm with 15mm fans.

2015-01-18-Nova-240mm-rad-mockup4.png

Thoughts? I'm a custom loop newb so any input would be appreciated.

I dont think you actually have enough place for tubing under the second graphics card tough. I dont know if it is possible to have a gpu waterblock bridge that would have the inlet and outlet tube at the top of the first graphics card

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

How is the testing coming along?

Slowly, I only got 8 configs tested Sunday because of course things didn't go quite as smoothly as planned. I'll be busy for most of the week so hopefully I can make good progress this weekend.

I dont think you actually have enough place for tubing under the second graphics card tough. I dont know if it is possible to have a gpu waterblock bridge that would have the inlet and outlet tube at the top of the first graphics card

The EK terminal block would work nicely: http://www.ekwb.com/uploads/images/EK-Thermosphere_right2_1200(1).jpg

How do you find time to do all this stuff? I'm amazed by the time and dedication towards the project.

Slowly, I only got 8 configs tested Sunday because of course things didn't go quite as smoothly as planned. I'll be busy for most of the week so hopefully I can make good progress this weekend.

The EK terminal block would work nicely: http://www.ekwb.com/uploads/images/EK-Thermosphere_right2_1200(1).jpg

If this case foes in production, i want someone to do a custom loop wirh graphics cards in sli. That would be so sick. With a slim 240 rad in the bottom and maybe a thick 140 rad on the hinge, even overclocking could be possible even in such a close form factor. Your ingeniosity amazes me. If this case foes in production, i would want one so bad though I would probably dont have the money to buy and build a new pc

If this case foes in production, i want someone to do a custom loop wirh graphics cards in sli. That would be so sick. With a slim 240 rad in the bottom and maybe a thick 140 rad on the hinge, even overclocking could be possible even in such a close form factor. Your ingeniosity amazes me. If this case foes in production, i would want one so bad though I would probably dont have the money to buy and build a new pc

same, would spend money on the case and wont have any left.

How do you find time to do all this stuff? I'm amazed by the time and dedication towards the project.

Well computers is my only hobby, even the DSLR is more to document my various computer related projects than a hobby in its own right. Plus it's fun, the tweaking and testing parts are a little tedious but taking something from a spark of an idea to a physical realization is really satisfying.

same, would spend money on the case and wont have any left.

I'm aiming for under $300 if that helps. Not cheap but nowhere near the almost $3k for the prototype.

I think silverstone have shown a 750 watt atx powersupply at ces that has a 140mm dept. Would it be possible to fit it in the nova to avoid using a sfx or it is impossible. I am not sure about that information but I dont have a moment to verify that information at the moment of writing. correct me someone if I'm wrong.

ATX is bigger in every dimension so I'm sticking with SFX/SFX-L for Nova.

A picture is worth a thousand words, here:

16155848146l.jpg

For SFX-L, which is bigger, the power supply is basically longer (or deeper, in the above image). You get the 120mm fan, but the unit is still smaller in every dimension.

Because you can get up to 600W on SFX now, supporting ATX power supplies provides very little benefit given other hardware constraints. That, paired with the huge increase in volume it would demand, means it isn't worthwhile to support in Nova, which is all about low volume.

The other thing, too, is that the smaller power supply is very unassuming and out of the way. When you open up Nova, the primary components are front-and-center, and the PSU practically hides in the top right corner, with the cabling staying pretty local and neat. An ATX power supply, comparatively, would command a lot of attention. And, you know, power supplies aren't exactly made to look nice.

A picture is worth a thousand words, here:

16155848146l.jpg

For SFX-L, which is bigger, the power supply is basically longer (or deeper, in the above image). You get the 120mm fan, but the unit is still smaller in every dimension.

Because you can get up to 600W on SFX now, supporting ATX power supplies provides very little benefit given other hardware constraints. That, paired with the huge increase in volume it would demand, means it isn't worthwhile to support in Nova, which is all about low volume.

The other thing, too, is that the smaller power supply is very unassuming and out of the way. When you open up Nova, the primary components are front-and-center, and the PSU practically hides in the top right corner, with the cabling staying pretty local and neat. An ATX power supply, comparatively, would command a lot of attention. And, you know, power supplies aren't exactly made to look nice.

I was not expecting anything from my question, I was thinking that 750 watt would be super nice for overclocking purposes. I actually did not know that sfx power supplies were smaller in terms on width. I just thought they were different in lenght. Sorry for making you answer making you waste time

I was not expecting anything from my question, I was thinking that 750 watt would be super nice for overclocking purposes. I actually did not know that sfx power supplies were smaller in terms on width. I just thought they were different in lenght. Sorry for making you answer making you waste time

It would certainly be nice to have more power, but 600W isn't a bad place to be, either. For stock configurations, that's as much power as you could ever want for almost every configuration, short of 3+ GPU rigs (which, let's be honest, you'd never assemble in Nova).

For overclocking, you'll be power limited at the high end, but even with the most (computationally) powerful components on the market - LGA 2011 and GTX 980s - you have 100W to spare, which is enough for some decent, if not insane, overclocks. It's really on the AMD side that you'll be restricted since the power consumption on those cards is so much higher. And even then, it's just with dual-GPU's that this becomes a problem - you have plenty of room with single-GPU configs.

Also - no need to apologize for asking questions or sharing ideas, that's what this thread is all about! Even basic questions like this, at a minimum, force us to rethink our ideas and decisions. Having you and everyone else ask those, and speak your mind, can only inform us further, and help us share our own reasoning with everyone, thus boosting transparency.

I said something along the same lines a while ago on HF, but it's worth repeating: One of the greatest attributes of Nova is the fact that conversations on forum threads (such have this) have assisted in the design-making process from the very start. Features in the prototype might not even exist, had people not thought of them and spoken up earlier on. And although we (mostly Aiboh) retain the power as the sole "designer" of the case, the knowledge and creativity that you all share aids us immensely in going about that process.

Believe me, we'd rather wade through thousands of repetitive or seemingly-unhelpful questions and ideas, compared to not having that feedback. Don't feel any restraint in speaking up.

Cross-posting from HF since I'd love input from you all, too:

I would love to have the same color scheme as the prototype

This brings up an interesting question, actually - what colors for what parts of Nova would you guys want, given total choice?

(What we'd actually be able to make would depend on available colors, MOQ, demand, and so forth, but I really just want to know what everyone's favorite color(s) or style would be  :D)

Cross-posting from HF since I'd love input from you all, too:

This brings up an interesting question, actually - what colors for what parts of Nova would you guys want, given total choice?

(What we'd actually be able to make would depend on available colors, MOQ, demand, and so forth, but I really just want to know what everyone's favorite color(s) or style would be  :D)

Black, gunmetal and silver are usually the colours I pay most attention too with cases. I usually tend to avoid things with a "loud" appearance. That said, the right shade of purple could sway me to something less boring.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

That said, the right shade of purple could sway me to something less boring.

Funny you should say that, I'm considering a purple/green scheme for Nova-01 to continue the theme from the prototype  :D

I'd like to offer less common colors, it'll just depend on demand.