Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia

How much would it cost for a guy in Washington State?

Should just be cost of the case + standard shipping. I'm working to get this made in the USA so you shouldn't have to worry about import fees or anything like that.

In case (No pun intended) you guy's haven't noticed, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/319051-featured-build-logs-002-voting-thread/

I voted for Nova!

Sorry Maki Role

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I voted for Nova!

Sorry Maki Role

Me and 3 mates too ;)

Thanks!

I'd be fine losing to Maki Role's build though, integrating water channels into the chassis itself is pretty epic.

I'd be fine losing to Maki Role's build though, integrating water channels into the chassis itself is pretty epic.

Function>form, and I happen to like the "form" of Nova anyway. Voted for you.

Small status update

TL;DR: Finally got a mostly silent build working, still working on production details

I've been working on a silent build in Nova but it's been more difficult than I thought due to the GPU fan controls. I tried messing around with modding the BIOS on this Asus GTX 780 but I couldn't get it to operate semi-passively no matter what I did. So I ordered  a 5-pin adapter so I could remove the shroud and stock fans and cool the card using two 120mm fans on the bottom of the case.

But in the process of unplugging the stock fan connector I accidentally broke one the wires :(

Bummer, but at least I can power the 120s right? Turns out this adapter is not actually wired correctly for this card so I had to rearrange the pins and use another splitter to get it working.

So now I got both fans running with PWM control off the GPU, should've been easy sailing from here but nope, this GPU has a hardwired 1100 RPM minimum, not PWM % minimum, but RPM minimum.

I did all this to avoid relying on the motherboard headers for the GPU but I didn't really have a choice now, so luckily the newest version of SpeedFan can control the bottom two chassis headers on this X99M Gaming 5 and now it idles at 600 RPM.

I'm still tweaking the curve, I'd prefer 900 RPM at max but that's not enough to keep the card from throttling in BF4 so I had to bump it up to 1100 RPM.

Too bad the 970s have coil whine problems, I had the opportunity at work to trade my 780 for a 970+cash but both the EVGA ACX and Asus Strix I was looking at whined under load so that's how I got started on this plan.

Anway, here's the current setup:

k12jBGj.jpg

Also, in the process of testing the 780 I discovered that the SX500-LG wasn't quite as robust in the semi-passive department as I thought. The rig shut down while running FurMark and Prime and when I started inspecting the system I realized the PSU was pretty hot. So I took the front panel off, turned it back on, and pointed a heat gun at the PSU intake and within 15 seconds it shut off again.

Then I realized that the fan wire was sticking up into the fan, oops. Probably shortened its lifespan a bit but at least I know the overtemp protection works :P

Also got the Demciflex filters in, I should have time to test them this weekend to see what effect they have on airflow.

On the production front, I've been working on my SFX-L bracket for the M1, the plan is to use it as a test run of manufacturing and logistics for Nova. Right now we're figuring out how logistics are going to work and researching various manufacturers here in the USA.

Also started looking into getting a custom power plug, but I'm not too knowledgeable on that so don't have much info there yet.

I have one question regarding temps. Would there be enough place on the front panel and the side panel to place soundproofing foam like on the nzxt h440 without interfering with air flow. I estimate the thickness of those foam panels to 5mm or something similar

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

About how much do you think this will cost...? Just wondering.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

About how much do you think this will cost...? Just wondering.

Per the FAQ on our website, the current price we're eyeing is ~$250, which would put Nova between NCASE's M1 ($185) and the Compact Splash ($280) - both of which are ITX cases.

However, we're looking to do a lot of things differently, from manufacturing to distribution, than some of these existing projects. We're also exploring as many opportunities as we can to reduce costs. So we're basically saying "$250" right now just to set expectations right, since Nova won't be a $60 case, nor will it be $600.

We'll have firm numbers once we've secured quotes from manufacturers, and have a final design spec, so stay tuned for that!

Per the FAQ on our website, the current price we're eyeing is ~$250, which would put Nova between NCASE's M1 ($185) and the Compact Splash ($280) - both of which are ITX cases.

However, we're looking to do a lot of things differently, from manufacturing to distribution, than some of these existing projects, and we're also exploring as many opportunities as we can to reduce costs. So we're basically saying "$250" right now to set expectations right. But we'll have firm numbers once we've secured quotes from manufacturers, and have a final design spec.

Ah, I like compact cases and understand all of the testing to make sure it has good cooling can take a lot of time and money, but I don't think I'll ever see myself owning one in the future. Do like the design and concept though. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I have one question regarding temps. Would there be enough place on the front panel and the side panel to place soundproofing foam like on the nzxt h440 without interfering with air flow. I estimate the thickness of those foam panels to 5mm or something similar

Probably on the left side panel, probably not on the right side panel (there's just enough room for flat cables as it is), and it would fit on the front but may reduce airflow too much to be worthwhile.

Sound dampening foam isn't a silver bullet, you'd be better off reducing heat and thus fan noise first. So with something like a Broadwell CPU with a 970 and no mechanical drives it should be possible to make a pretty quiet rig even without sound dampening.

That's sweet what you did with the fans in the bottom, but does it increase the overall system temp having a non-blower style cooler?

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Probably on the left side panel, probably not on the right side panel (there's just enough room for flat cables as it is), and it would fit on the front but may reduce airflow too much to be worthwhile.

Sound dampening foam isn't a silver bullet, you'd be better off reducing heat and thus fan noise first. So with something like a Broadwell CPU with a 970 and no mechanical drives it should be possible to make a pretty quiet rig even without sound dampening.

The components that I was scared would make a lot of noise is not the graphics card or the cpu cooler even though reference card would produce quite some noise. My concern is rather towards the sfx power supply with many people reporting the unbearable sound level of the fan

The components that I was scared would make a lot of noise is not the graphics card or the cpu cooler even though reference card would produce quite some noise. My concern is rather towards the sfx power supply with many people reporting the unbearable sound level of the fan

In that case I don't think the sound dampening will help. I wouldn't say the SX600-G is unbearable, it's just annoying due to the variety of strange sounds it makes, especially the fan chatter. But that's the kind of thing that sound dampening won't help with much, the chatter is annoying due to its inconsistency, it's harder to tune out than constant broadband noise like the whoosh of air from a fan.

You may look into the SX500-LG, it's not completely silent either, but it just has a very faint clacking noise.

So if I understand it correctly the SX500-LG cant handle cooling itself properly or just cant handle the loads you're putting on it?

So if I understand it correctly the SX500-LG cant handle cooling itself properly or just cant handle the loads you're putting on it?

Ah, no - there was a wire caught up in the PSU fan that prevented it from spinning during testing. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this caused it to shut down once full CPU + GPU load testing was started - though it had also just endured ~20 minutes of GPU load testing prior, so if anything it did really well considering it had no active cooling to speak of  :lol:

It didn't handle the SLI 980s due to the load and it had issues with the 780 because I had modified the fan connector in the process of testing the voltage/RPM curve of the stock fan:

GgbEi5H.jpg

The connector had a dab of thermal goop/glue on it so rather than trying to pry it off it was easier to cut the wires in half and splice in a connector. But I didn't zip-tie it back down afterwards and didn't notice that the connector got stuck in the fan preventing it from spinning.

If anything I'm impressed that it was able to sustain the 780 running FurMark for 30-40 minues, it's only when after I started up Prime also that it shutdown after a few minutes.

Edit: Oops, forgot to go to the last post before replying to yours so didn't notice PlayfulPhoenix already answered you.

Ah oke, so you would still recommend the SX500-LG, would you even go as far as saying that it is the best power supply for the nova on the market right now?

If your build will run with just 500W (which should be most anything with single video card that isn't heavily overclocked) then I'd recommend it.

If your build will run with just 500W (which should be most anything with single video card that isn't heavily overclocked) then I'd recommend it.

I'm assuming that the 600W Gold SFX model will not have trouble running 2x 980 in SLI.

I wonder if space restrictions will allow 2x GPU in SLI, with also a 240mm AIO cooling the CPU?

Scouring the interwebs, one page at a time. 

I'm assuming that the 600W Gold SFX model will not have trouble running 2x 980 in SLI.

That's correct - Two 980's and a six-core LGA2011 CPU pulled about 500W at load, in our testing.

I wonder if space restrictions will allow 2x GPU in SLI, with also a 240mm AIO cooling the CPU?

I think most people would be best served by mounting a 120mm/140mm radiator on the hinged side bracket, but if you had the graphics cards populate the top four PCI slots (so not spaced out at all), then yes - you could fit most 240mm sealed AIO's on the bottom.

the nzxt x41 should be able to cool well enough any 6 core processor. It is pretty much the same performance as a h100i. It is pretty much only beaten by dual 140mm rad

Ok, got the filters fitted:

When you ship the case will you be including these filters or is it something the consumer will need to buy?