Microsoft Reveals FLAC Support For Windows 10

GoodBytes

If you thought that Windows 10 was already awesome with MKV support in Windows Media Player 12 and Video App, multiple virtual desktop, 4x4 snap windows, easy copy/paste/select Command Line Prompt/PowerShell, scalable Command Line Prompt/PowerShell windows, Continum, New Start Menu, notification center, solid OS upgrade system, windowed modern ui apps, and oh so much more...

Well now, Gabriel Aul, Project Manager of the Windows 10 team, has announced on Twitter a new feature coming up in new build expected early 2015: FLAC format support

You will be able to play .flac files in Windows Media Player 12, and Music app.

wmp_flac.png

For those who don't know, FLAC format is a music format, much like MP3 file, however the way it compresses the music file from its raw state to a more manageable format, if you will, algorithm is drastically different. Unlike MP3 compressions, this one is what is called lossless. This mean that the compression doesn't lose audio quality, meaning you have the best audio quality available. CD quality and can even surpass CD quality, allowing you to achieve a sound quality like the performance is done live in front of you, potentially. (you need the really expensive audio equipment to reach that level), never the less, it is really good. FLAC stands for: Free Lossless Audio Codec.

It wasn't really popularized outside of audio enthusiasts for many years as MP3 files were smaller, and better for limited space MP3 disc player, early MP3 players, and internet download for many still on low speed broadband (this is from what I recall). But as the audio enthusiast community grows, and now we are no longer on very slow internet anymore, and storage capacity has increased, it is gaining popularity.

Gabriel Aul Twitter post:

Keen eyed #WindowsInsiders will notice something cool about this pic. Something to look forward to in the new year!

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/537376407291056128/photo/1

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-gets-native-support-free-lossless-audio-codec-flac

What's a FLAC? Does it have anything to do with flak?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I didn't even realize that FLAC support was even a problem... Windows media player is not even that good IMO.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

A type of audio file that takes up alot of space but is no better sounding than mp3 at 320

BS. Try listening to an MP3 at 320 kbps that actually has vocals and instrumentals. CD quality is around 1411kbps, tell me it sounds the same (sarcasm).

There is a noticeable difference.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Xbox Music? That's a thing right?

You know how iTunes has an optional store along with a decent standalone media player?

You have to pay for XBOX music. 

I was referring to more like a standalone music player.

Windows Media Player is ugly as f**k, while the standalone Music app is pretty disappointing. (Most importantly lacks support for folders. I organize my music via folders and I'd hate to make another playlist on music just to use it)

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

You know how iTunes has an optional store along with a decent standalone media player?

You have to pay for XBOX music. 

I was referring to more like a standalone music player.

Windows Media Player is ugly as f**k, while the standalone Music app is pretty disappointing. (Most importantly lacks support for folders. I organize my music via folders and I'd hate to make another playlist on music just to use it)

XBox Music subscription is paying. You can use the software for free.

I like Windows Media Player 12. Look fine to me. It sure beats all current offerings in my opinion.

Sure it doesn't fit Windows 8 style exactly well, but sure beats a software that looks like it's trying to be modern from 2001 (iTunes), or Windows 95.

XBox Music subscription is paying. You can use the software for free.

I like Windows Media Player 12. Look fine to me. It sure beats all current offerings in my opinion.

Sure it doesn't fit Windows 8 style exactly well, but sure beats a software that looks like it's trying to be modern from 2001 (iTunes), or Windows 95.

Weren't they gonna stop with Xbox Music, the subscription service that is.

On topic:

The more codec Windows 10 supports the better, the first thing I do when I get a new pc these days is install a codec pack like K lite, I would be nice if Microsoft would put all those codecs just build into Win10

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

A type of audio file that takes up alot of space but is no better sounding than mp3 at 320

Wrong. I am no audio enthusiasts by far, but I do enjoy music a lot. Enough for me to use a dedicated sound card, but when I insert classical music CD on my PC and compare it to the same song converted in MP3 highest possible quality, you hear a notable difference... and that was with 30$ cheapo Sony headphones (currently using Audio Technica ATH-40x). MP3 didn't have the same level of life than FLAC.

I understand the use of FLAC for home use but I much prefer 320kbps MP3s on the go. Not only do they take up less local storage space but its much easier on cell data.

Weren't they gonna stop with Xbox Music, the subscription service that is.

No. The only thing that will stop, is the free music listening with ads if you have Windows 8.x (it was an exclusive feature for Windows 8 users. Else, you need to pay like always all the way back when it used to be called Zune Music Pass). I guess the low user rate didn't allow Microsoft to charge sufficient for the ads to ad companies to start paying off listened songs, is my guess.

It's nice that they finally added support, but windows media player is meh  <_<

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Anyone that uses FLACs (and I'll leave the discussion on how much of a difference there is etc. for another day) is already using a better player. Or at the very least one they won't give up.

More support is never a bad thing of course :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I'm so sorry you have hearing problem. LOL. Just kidding.

Jokes aside, depending on what sort of music you listened to, as well as your hardware, it'll either sound world apart or no difference.

I only have a pair of hyperx cloud, it's easy to tell the difference between 320kbps and CD quality if you listen to a certain type of music, but I must admit I can't tell the difference between 16bit audio and 24 bit audio, probably the headset's limitation, or my ears'.

BS. Try listening to an MP3 at 320 kbps that actually has vocals and instrumentals. CD quality is around 1411kbps, tell me it sounds the same (sarcasm).

There is a noticeable difference.

I mean, I agree there is a noticeable difference, and I listen to mostly lossless audio, but you can't compare bitrate like that. CDs aren't compressed at all, so of course they will have a higher bitrate. If you decompress an MP3, it will have a higher bitrate, but will sound the same. Similarly, a CD or PCM WAV file will have a higher bitrate than a FLAC file or an APE file, but they contain the same data.

I really wish Microsoft brings out something to compete with iTunes.

Something minimalistic, yet beautiful would work just fine.

Foobar already exists. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I mean, I agree there is a noticeable difference, and I listen to mostly lossless audio, but you can't compare bitrate like that. CDs aren't compressed at all, so of course they will have a higher bitrate. If you decompress an MP3, it will have a higher bitrate, but will sound the same. Similarly, a CD or PCM WAV file will have a higher bitrate than a FLAC file or an APE file, but they contain the same data.

Well, thats the whole point of the argument? Can MP3s sound decent; yes, but not at 320 kbps.

So why can't you compare bitrates? I don't seem to understand your argument. Once an audio file has gone through MP3 compression, there is no more "decompression" that you speak of, which is why it's lossy. No matter what you try you can't get the original data back. And, no, MP3s can't sound the same if "uncompressed" because there is no way you can make up information that has already been stripped out by lossy compression.

Of course a FLAC file is lossless compression, meaning, uncompressed you can get the original data back of a CD. Please remember that "Red Book" audio CDs don't have any files on them, just the LPCM bitstream and a table of contents. Technically speaking, you can recreate the LPCM encoding from any lossless codec.

Either I am not understanding what you are trying to point out, or your argument is in some way flawed?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Coming from a person who tried getting this functionality on WMP for quite some time using codecs this is a really nice addition . Of course this is before I started using foobar2000, not sure I will be switching back to WMP though. (vlc foobar combo ftw :D)

Also am i the only one who think the way WMP looks kinda ok, i mean it could use some improvements but its not that bad either.

On a final note, is it me or is Microsoft really making some really nice changes, first C# is opensource, now WMP will finally support 2 very popular formats (mkv and Flac).

hahaha-no.gif

still gonna use vlc, im sure others will use vlc or foobar

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I only have a pair of hyperx cloud, it's easy to tell the difference between 320kbps and CD quality if you listen to a certain type of music, but I must admit I can't tell the difference between 16bit audio and 24 bit audio, probably the headset's limitation, or my ears'.

That's because there shouldn't be a difference.  Most music can mask the quantitization noise adequately at 16-bit, and sometimes modern music can completely mask the noise at 8-bit as well.  24-bit is a waste of time, it's just marketing fuzz.  It's nice to have when producing music, but to us...probably doesn't matter whatsoever.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh