NYC to replace public pay phones with 10,000 free gigabit WiFi pylons

TheUNCONN3CT3D

Will anyone say "big government" over-extend into people's live again? 

Will anyone say "big government" over-extend into people's live again? 

They probably will monitor the internet usage but honestly it's not like they don't already have everything about our personal lives.

While it is questionable how LinkNYC will be able to deliver gigabit speeds over Wi-Fi as most networks cannot sustain a gigabit connection on their own today. LinkNYC will be available throughout all five boroughs. I'm personally hoping seamless hoping from pylon to pylon will be supported. I'm especially excited for this mainly because I live in NYC but I love to see that we're finally beginning to move away from slow, low reception public Wi-Fi.

'Hoping' should be spelt hopping.

Anyway this actually sounds pretty awesome...if only this would come to the UK but they are able to keep the phone booths, especially around London :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The best part is that I will be paid with advertising and not public money. This is a no brainer. This is AWESOME! This should be done everywhere. It's a fantastic idea.

oh my gosh the hackers are gonna be all over this. i can already see HAK5 freaking out about this.

watchdogs is becoming more and more real my friends.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

'Hoping' should be spelt hopping.

Anyway this actually sounds pretty awesome...if only this would come to the UK but they are able to keep the phone booths, especially around London :P

Thank you! Who knows one day it may come to you guys.

OH NO WAYY @Tocsin_786 YES

think of all dat 4k pr0n on my phone that an LTE network is not capable of 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Charging station?

What?

So you're going to stand next to one of those things for about 4 hours?

With alot of new phones coming with the turbo charge feature its just a couple of minutes.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

"You must construct additional pylons"

And i for one will welcome our new protoss overlords.

This is really cool though. And scary if breached or used to spy on people. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I am assuming they have done their homework and the millions of problems that immediately come to mind have been addressed. If it works as good as they say it will, this is awesome. However, as an Australian, I will just droop my head in sadness.

-snipper-

Doctor Who fan are we? Love the show! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

So you're telling me that NYC is planning to construct additional pylons?

You still have payphones?

you still use smoke signals? Lol

on topic , these things will get damaged,or stole. Then you get those who don't respect it and don't care and probably smear some dog feces on it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

you still use smoke signals? Lol

on topic , these things will get damaged,or stole. Then you get those who don't respect it and don't care and probably smear some dog feces on it.

No AFAIK BT had them removed as soon as mobile phones/bricks became popular here in the UK so roughly 13yrs ago, there's still some in a few places for novelty reasons but that's it.

wow awsome too bad they  couldnt do that here in th uk but they would quiclky get distroyed probly  would be more usefull then payphones here too least were i live lol

come to chicago pls

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

What am I missing, how does taxpayer funded wifi bring in $500 million in 12 years? What do you have to pay for? Charging?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 1 month later...

What am I missing, how does taxpayer funded wifi bring in $500 million in 12 years? What do you have to pay for? Charging?

Nope the only way they're making money out of it is through ads on the pylons.

I wonder if companies will be able to rent (or use) the fiber they're installing to give better service... Im in midtown and still only have a terrible copper connection with verizon

I like how they're called Pylons :P

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

What's the catch?

Praise Duarte!

What's the catch?

Frankly, I don't see one based on the business model they're using.