So, Tim Cook is Gay.

Majinferno

If we want homosexuality to be normal, both sides need to stop freaking out about it when someone comes out, or is gay. 

straight people need to stop "lul fag, your gay!"

gay people need to stop "hey look! I'm gay!"

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I don't see why he would care what others think, why else would he come out? There's been plenty of distinguished celebrities that have come out of the closet over the past couple years. Obviously you're pretty sensitive to the subject, I'll leave it at that.

I don't really care, I'm not judging you.

I wasn't just talking about Cook, I was talking about coming out in general. It's difficult and it takes guts!

Why would the average person care? It's pretty obvious!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

If we want homosexuality to be normal, both sides need to stop freaking out about it when someone comes out, or is gay. 

straight people need to stop "lul fag, your gay!"

gay people need to stop "hey look! I'm gay!"

the only way to counteract ridicule is by acceptance. Being a straight person (I assume) you don't know how it really works. It's not your fault but the world isn't that simple.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

So Tim cook is happy?  I am happy for him.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

So Tim cook is happy?  I am happy for him.

No he's homosexual, he likes penises. :P

Hail Sithis!

New Iphone  7, Shaped like a thing that fits where the sun does not shine.

Eh, I was never congratulated for being straight. 

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I don't see why he would care what others think, why else would he come out? There's been plenty of distinguished celebrities that have come out of the closet over the past couple years. Obviously you're pretty sensitive to the subject, I'll leave it at that.

I don't really care, I'm not judging you.

it's one thing for a celebrity to come out and completely another for your average joe of the street.  A celebrity can handle not getting that job at the corner shop or even doesn't care that a subset of society hates them, but for the average joe being openly gay is like a "kick me" sign stuck to your back.

Tim cook, like many other already successful people (who also happen to be gay) have already hit the top rung of their ladder, do you think they would have the same opportunities to be their now if they came out when they were still at college or working in the mail room?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Eh, I was never congratulated for being straight. 

you've probably also never been ridiculed or had the shit kicked out of you for it either.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

it's one thing for a celebrity to come out and completely another for your average joe of the street.  A celebrity can handle not getting that job at the corner shop or even doesn't care that a subset of society hates them, but for the average joe being openly gay is like a "kick me" sign stuck to your back.

Tim cook, like many other already successful people (who also happen to be gay) have already hit the top rung of their ladder, do you think they would have the same opportunities to be their now if they came out when they were still at college or working in the mail room?

Honestly, it wouldn't make a difference. I have a friend who's been openly gay for a very long time (since high school) and he's very successful in his respective field. Pretty stupid argument if you ask me.

Edited for late night typos

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Honestly, It wouldn't make a difference. I have a friend who's been openly gay for a very long time (since high school) and he's very successfull in his repective field. Pretty stupid argument if you ask me.

You have one friend who has succeeded and has been openly gay, so that makes my argument stupid?  you do realise how bad Gay discrimination can be don't you?

Discrimination of homosexuality in today's society:

• Gay and lesbian books and other forms of media continue to be censored despite court challenges
  • In criminal cases, homosexual advances have sometimes been treated as “provocation”, thus justifying a shorter sentence for an assailant, even when in similar heterosexual advance would not be treated in this way
  • The Criminal Code still discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, as the age of consent for anal intercourse is higher than for vaginal intercourse
  • Hate crimes directed at gay men and lesbians continue to be widespread

And this is in Canada, one of the most progressive nations as far as gay rights go.

https://www2.viu.ca/positivespace/manual/discrimination.asp

It is a very valid consideration and one that many in the know would agree,  had Tim cook been openly gay from the beginning he very well may never had made it to CEO of any company.

Some more reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_among_LGBT_youth

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/pages/facts-about-suicide

http://www.healthyplace.com/gender/glbt-mental-health/homosexuality-and-suicide-lgbt-suicide-a-serious-issue/

Erm, so what, what does this do, does saying his gay make apple sell more handphones, I mean seriously, just why do we need to know this

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Erm, so what, what does this do, does saying his gay make apple sell more handphones, I mean seriously, just why do we need to know this

What it will do is reduce possible sales in some middle eastern countries where homosexuality is illegal and sometimes punishable by death.  Just like many people boycott nestle and other large companies for personal reasons so to will people boycott apple.  We need to know this because our world needs figure heads like ceo's and politicians to come out and make a point of being gay, to make a point that there is nothing wrong with it.  Because as it stands in many countries you may as well be a communist or nazi for all the acceptance you'll get.

What it will do is reduce possible sales in some middle eastern countries where homosexuality is illegal and sometimes punishable by death.  Just like many people boycott nestle and other large companies for personal reasons so to will people boycott apple.  We need to know this because our world needs figure heads like ceo's and politicians to come out and make a point of being gay, to make a point that there is nothing wrong with it.  Because as it stands in many countries you may as well be a communist or nazi for all the acceptance you'll get.

So he is losing sales by doing this? Holy shit this is better news then I expected, I won 10 dollars and apple loses sails, can this day get any better

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I honestly don't care. You can be the most famous person on the planet or a random stranger, it's 2014. The only people who seem to care if someone is gay are hardcore religious nuts or TMZ.

you've probably also never been ridiculed or had the shit kicked out of you for it either.

Just stating the double standards, nothing more.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Just stating the double standards, nothing more.

That's... not really what double standard means.

It would be a double standard if it were a problem to congratulate someone on being straight. No one congratulates you, because you're the status quo.

From Meriam-Webster:

a set of principles that applies differently and usually more rigorously to one group of people or circumstances than to another; especially :  a code of morals that applies more severe standards of sexual behavior to women than to men

Congratulating homosexuals for coming out isn't a set of principles that apply differently to homosexuals. The same principle applies to everyone. That principle being:

People will congratulate you for doing something courageous and/or difficult.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be clear, no one is congratulating him for being gay. We're congratulating him for having to courage to publicly say who he his despite the fact that he might face serious forms of abuse for it.

Edit: I hope it's clear now why no one would congratulate you for "coming out" as straight. Firstly, it's typically already assumed that you are until you say otherwise. And if you are straight, no one is going yell slurs at you, try to take away your rights, or beat you up in a school yard.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

"Let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me,"

why being gay is considered a gift ? 

"Let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me,"

why being gay is considered a gift ? 

Probably because of the unique perspective it gives him in life, due to the experiences he's lived when confronting or dealing with homosexuality in a modern society.

I also think being straight is a gift. Sexuality and sexual orientation in general are all gifts to humanity. Whether you're gay or straight or "other".

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

EWW

Nah just kidding, I have nothing against gay people :)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

This is going possibly going to be a problem for him. The Business world is very very conservative (banks, other CEO's outside of Europe/North america)

Interested in Business and Technology

Probably because of the unique perspective it gives him in life, due to the experiences he's lived when confronting or dealing with homosexuality in a modern society.

I also think being straight is a gift. Sexuality and sexual orientation in general are all gifts to humanity. Whether you're gay or straight or "other".

You shouldn't be surprised that a majority of this forum doesn't understand the implications of being a homosexual in our society and the discrimination that they actually do face in daily life. 

Its what you get when you largely cater to "enthusiasts" who haven't had any relevant life experiences and don't get what real life actually is. 

I've always tried to avoid the whole "age" thing, but this forum really shows it when it comes to these kinds of issues. These kids don't see that the world isn't black and white and what seems rational isn't. Shits difficult out there for everyone, and homosexuals have it a little bit worse precisely because every other nut job wants to make their orientation such a big deal.

It shouldn't be a big deal. It is. And thats the sad part. 

This is going possibly going to be a problem for him. The Business world is very very conservative (banks, other CEO's outside of Europe/North america)

To be fair, Apple has larger cash reserves then many banks. They're literally rolling in over $100 Billion USD in actual cash ($130 Bn USD last time I saw).

You shouldn't be surprised that a majority of this forum doesn't understand the implications of being a homosexual in our society and the discrimination that they actually do face in daily life. 

Its what you get when you largely cater to "enthusiasts" who haven't had any relevant life experiences and don't get what real life actually is. 

I've always tried to avoid the whole "age" thing, but this forum really shows it when it comes to these kinds of issues. These kids don't see that the world isn't black and white and what seems rational isn't. Shits difficult out there for everyone, and homosexuals have it a little bit worse precisely because every other nut job wants to make their orientation such a big deal.

It shouldn't be a big deal. It is. And thats the sad part. 

Agreed. QFT. Some of the younger members may be going through this themselves, or know people who have. But by and large, I think you're correct.