should linus start uploading his videos in 60fps?

TOMPPIX

It really makes zero fucking difference when I'm watching a YouTube tech video, seriously.

Well, it depends on what you're watching. Gameplay? Yes. Fucking, just, literally everything else? Yeah, I don't care.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well, it depends on what you're watching. Gameplay? Yes. Fucking, just, literally everything else? Yeah, I don't care.

Of course but how often is gameplay uploaded to his channel?

Also the OP is implying all videos from the looks of things.

Of course but how often is gameplay uploaded to his channel?

Also the OP is implying all videos from the looks of things.

Yeah, I mean all videos in general. But what LMG does - no point in using 60FPS video.

From what I hear, LMG already uses a ton of storage for filming. Doubling the framerate would increase file sizes and just not help their situation.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You are correct, and this does get to the point of subjectivity by the viewer. I know some people did like the HFR 3D in 'The Hobbit;' I found it made everything look plastic and artificial. The human eye is capable of much 'higher framerates' as you said, which is why we don't see motion blur (typically) with moving objects. Having said that though, 24fps is a vestige of the film days; the aesthetic of the motion blur with a shutter angle of 180* has become such a part of the 'cinematic look' that it has become standard. Remember when you could distinctly tell the difference between a video camera (VHS or the like) and a movie shot on film? That was only a difference of 6fps (24fps for film, 30fps for video). Granted, there were vast differences in dynamic range, interlaced scanning and other factors, but the way people and objects appeared to move in video versus film was different.

It's more than likely if film cameras started at 60fps, 24fps would look weird now, but they didn't. What differentiates between 'real life' and 'filmed life' (in the sense of anything captured by camera) is the fact that it is at slower framerates than 'reality.' I think what happened, for me at least, with the high frame rate 3D is it started to put a lot of stuff in the 'uncanny valley' because it was closer to 'real life' but not to the point where it fully convinced me.

Finally someene who knows what he's talking about without claiming their opinion is fact.

Yes, 24fps fixes a lot of isssues with movements such as motion blur which is created in your brain.

Doing this arteficially in games looks stupid.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Well lets think about this, he wants 4k, 4k is at the moment silly on youtube massive frame drops on machines that can handle it easily, 60fps is fine on machines that can handle it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well it's his channel, id rather he makes his decisions about the channel, but i know what id prefer and thats 60FPS, but i voted no because i don't think its worthwhile  compared to linus' interests in 4k

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Definitely YES, I dont like "cinematic" experience. This is tech channel not a movie.. so no reason to be on 30 FPS.

the wise words of ubi- 30 fps is cinematic. LMAO.

sml_gallery_20081_337_100806.png

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Not going to happen anytime soon.

We can make fun of "cinematic" all we want when it comes to gaming, but when we're talking cameras, it's a whole differnet ball of wax.

There's only one content type we consistently film at 60FPS - Channel Super Fun. It gives us more flexibility in post to do silly slow mo stuff. That's the only reason I can think of to do it for slow moving live action stuff like we do...

How about 48 Fps

puss-in-boots-please-face-o.gif

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

My interent only supports up to 360p 480 if I'm really lucky :)

I couldn't care less

System: Thinkpad T460

Only if it's for gameplay vids, otherwise I don't see the point, not that I'd complain

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

it's just tech vids and he rarely shows footage of video games so 30 FPS is fine, not to mention potential cost and time obstacles..

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

If that's the case, why doesn't every movie shoot with a Phantom 1000fps camera? Did you see 'The Hobbit' in high framerate 3D? That was awful. I understand Peter Jackson's decision to do it, but the end result...do not want.

For gameplay, yes, more FPS means better quality. For motion picture, it's not empirically 'better,' it really just depends on what you're shooting.

I saw parts of it. Not a lotr fan Looked great to me. Effects were not really 48 fps ready, and it is jarring. But I use SVP to render movies at fake 60 fps. I prefer it by far. 

It's all teething. If all films went to 48 or 60 fps people would eventually get used to it. People hate it because they are used to 24, which is not better in any way beside budget for effects. 

Personally, I think 30 is ok though. I am much happier with that than 24. It matches the half the refresh rate of my screen and has no tearing

Are you saying we should keep a bad tradition becuase we a re used to it instead of pushing for a better one like we should have a long time ago? 

If it's practical, and it is, a higher frame rate for films should be sought after. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I don't think switching to 60fps is necessary because:

1.) LTT is only a tech review channel (with some twists) and not a let's play or game/movie review channel.

yes there are some parts of some gameplay but its just a couple of seconds.

2.) Almost every video is not so "fast paced"..

3.) some internet issues? not all people have some really high internet speeds... like me

Well I am also agree to the 60fps thing but I just wish youtube will soon give an option for both 720p 30fps and 720p 60fps (also for 1080p, 1440p, and 4k)

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

As he said and many other youtubers, its not really worth it unless you're putting up game play videos where it would benefit from 60fps.

He already uploads 4k why get 60fps.  How many hard drives do you think it would it use.

Bonus:

O19VJxC.jpg

Because he had a hard drive.

I'd take 60fps 1080p over 30 fps 4k any day. It's such a small amount of people that can take advantage of the resolution while a lot of people have 60hz monitors. I honestly don't understand it. The 4k filming makes sense for filming and editing but not for the final product. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

I'm not bothered either way TBH.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator