Bloodborne targeting 30fps because it’s “the best for action games”

In an interview at the GameStart gaming convention last week, Bloodborne producer Masaaki Yamagiwa said that they “will probably go for 30 fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps to play action games.”, also adding that they “weren't targeting 60fps because it’s not first-person shooting, it’s an action game.”

Seems like yet another developer is joining the grave digging among the ranks of our beloved Ubisoft as well as the developers of the PS4 exclusive The Order: 1886.

50576827.jpg

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/10/27/bloodborne-frame-rate-targeting-30fps-since-its-the-best-for-action-games-claims-producer/#/slide/1

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

WOOOOOW, better option for me now is to kill myself....

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

I've tried locking my framerate to 30fps in all games for a while and I can honestly say it's beyond shitty, it just looks and feels choppy compared to 60/120fps, i just felt like I was having lag.

B-b-but man what about the cinematic experience?

54387096.jpg

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

ha-gay-o.gif

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

You know how to get rid of this 30fps bull shit? Don't buy it. Vote with you wallets, hurt the bottom line.

But saying this is much easier said then done... Ppl just need to have the latest games even if they are locked at 30fps and this is why it will never go away, because ppl keep buying it.

SOLID FEEL

I love choppy framerates, I purposely run my monitor at 10hz for 10 frames per second, since the frames are slower I get more time to analyse each frame and I get better graphics

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

When I first saw this topic I was going to say, "Who cares, this happens to all console games..." but then I realized that nothing will change unless we keep complaining about it and keep telling developers to stop it.

I'll play with 30fps over any other frame rate. It's a gift from heaven...... :P Need to invest a new 30Hz monitor for X'mas, perfect compliment to many up and coming  30fps games. I support turning all games to only 30fps.....the only way to save mankind from self-destruction and attain world peace(sarcasm)! 

When I first saw this topic I was going to say, "Who cares, this happens to all console games..." but then I realized that nothing will change unless we keep complaining about it and keep telling developers to stop it.

Seems like asking them to not be treated like idiots is too much...

A simple statement from them saying "We did what we could with the hardware, we pushed the graphical side therefore having to compromise the framerate." or vice-versa is too difficult to make apparently.

Well it is a good thing I own the worst 4k monitor. This means I won't get any of that horrid tearing. And I get to finally unbox it. 

A simple statement from them saying "We did what we could with the hardware, we pushed the graphical side therefore having to compromise the framerate." or vice-versa is too difficult to make apparently.

That is the part that these companies do not get

We understand there are compromises, We dont expect them to churn out 4k 120fps games with VR and 3d... but just making lies up about WHY, "we think it looks better at 640x480 at 15fps, it really gives you that gaming cinematic orgasm feeling"

They could be like "We really wanted to push 1080p, and we didnt want to compromise our artistic vision, unfortunatly to hit 1080p we had to drop the framerate to 30, however it will run at a solid 30 with no dips, and should provide a smooth experiance.. for those playing on PC, you should be able to enjoy it with higher resolution and frame rates, but the base game on console should still be an amazing next gen experiance"

There, it even said that the console would be a good experience so that is their PR angle covered

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, exactly! Is it that hard to say "the hardware didn't allow us to achieve 60 fps consistently" ?

Or maybe the devs aren't bright enough to realise that there's this huuuuuuge hate train against 30 fps.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

That is the part that these companies do not get

We understand there are compromises, We dont expect them to churn out 4k 120fps games with VR and 3d... but just making lies up about WHY, "we think it looks better at 640x480 at 15fps, it really gives you that gaming cinematic orgasm feeling"

They could be like "We really wanted to push 1080p, and we didnt want to compromise our artistic vision, unfortunatly to hit 1080p we had to drop the framerate to 30, however it will run at a solid 30 with no dips, and should provide a smooth experiance.. for those playing on PC, you should be able to enjoy it with higher resolution and frame rates, but the base game on console should still be an amazing next gen experiance"

There, it even said that the console would be a good experience so that is their PR angle covered

I'd be way more okay with 30fps, at least on consoles if they actually made an effort to make the game look great and then unlocked it for PC.

But games that are locked at 30fps look the same as games have for the past 2 years.

And I agree completely, I mean I don't get why this industry alone tries to hurt a section of their market.

I mean I don't see Corsair telling you that a kilowatt power supply will be the only thing that will get you a good quality power supply.

I don't see them 'nerfing' their other power supply's ripple surpression to force you to buy a higher wattage one, and yet the gaming industry makes a game better on one console than another and they often times don't even bother to put any significant effort into their PC 'port'.

They intentionally discourage a large customer base from buying their game, purely to encourage a significantly smaller customer base to purchase their games on console.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Yeah, exactly! Is it that hard to say "the hardware didn't allow us to achieve 60 fps consistently" ?

Or maybe the devs aren't bright enough to realise that there's this huuuuuuge hate train against 30 fps.

gamedevs are smart. MS/sony are smart. contracts exist between them what they can, and cannot say. in reality, no dev really means what they are saying, but its the only thing they are allowed to say

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I love how most people complaining about games being locked to 30fps don't even own or have interest in consoles....

There seems to be some confusion and back tracking going on. The game will be 30fps but the dev didn't say that 30fps was the best for action games.

He has since clarified on Twitter that they are going for 1080p, 30 FPS for Bloodborne. They have chosen these specs now based on Bloodborne’s design. He clarifies, finally, that he never made a declaration that 30 FPS was best for action games.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/giwamasa/status/526925825677877248

Apparently the confusion is due to his translator.

TgPmfl4.png

Full Article: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/24880/article/bloodborne-dev-statement-clarified-1080p-30-fps-best-for-a-game-like-bloodborne/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gameranx+%28Gameranx%29

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I love how most people complaining about games being locked to 30fps don't even own or have interest in consoles....

because it can effect us. if we let devs get away with BS statements like this other devs might adopt this asinine way of thinking where "oh well you see 30fps is the cinematic experience so you dont need >60fps so we'll lock it for you :D"

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

He had to correct himself, because he himself knows that 30fps is not good for ALL games. Since this is a ps4 exclusive it only makes sense for him to say that it would be locked to 30fps in terms of design. I don't think you guys are understanding the actual context. I'd think that 1080p/30fps would actually be a nice thing for consoles (and I'm pretty sure we haven't seen much games with that either). IF there is a PC port, then it would definitely change, as you would read in his statement this is only because of the design of the game, and not a generality.

EDIT: Before you guys go complaining about fps next time, read up on what is actually happening. Its not like PS4 is able to do this on most games anyway. Maybe they want to keep the graphical fidelity instead of reducing it to achieve that 60fps.

Are they insane? Have they ever played an Action Game at 30 fps? Have they ever played the same action game at 60 fps? There is literally no question that 60 fps is better.

Granted, I assume this is for consoles, and therefore it's pretty much par-for-course, but it's still shitty.

Vote with your wallets people! Don't buy the game, and don't pirate it! Simply don't play it at all! Let us be vocal about the fact that we will not buy nor play their game, and why we won't!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Since it is only the PS4, it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is if the game is intentionally sabotaged for all platforms just to accommodate the inferior ones. 

There are actually a substantial number of users on the forums that do own the current-gen consoles (Generally they own both consoles + a kickass gaming PC). I myself would consider buying one for social gatherings at my place (Used to have a XBox 360 for that), as it's much easier to do split-screen multiplayer on a console then a PC.

Furthermore, there have been instances of Console Ports being LOCKED to 30 fps ON PC! In some cases, the game was coded in such a horrible fashion that to unlock the fps limiter, actually literally broke the game. In one case, it was EA's Need for Speed Rivals:

Check out TotalBiscuit's commentary on that. Running the game at 60 fps actually significantly altered the game physics to a degree that the game was straight up broken.

If we allow the dev's to become complacent with 30 fps as a "standard", then we risk them porting that 30 fps limit over to PC's as well.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)