Apple makes the most reliable laptop

79wjd

what do u expect when they only sell premium laptops

do u remember a few years ago Asus was number 1 ?

it was because they sold lots of EeePCs that used low powers chips and small ssds which made them very reliable

u need to look at the bigger picture

looking at just one part isnt enough

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

has this made me like apple 

no.

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Dr Evil meme here: http://makeameme.org/media/created/fox-news-yz8ri2.jpg

But in all seriousness, I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand, Apple charges ridiculous prices for their products. On the other hand... oh, who am I kidding...?

#iamahypocrite

-Sent from iPad

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

They are not a tad expensive, they are overpriced. Vast majority on this site doesn't use Apple computers. Why don't you go to an apple forum, make an inflammatory post about PC's advantage and report the findings.

Yea sure. Every company that build laptops and desktops over $1000 is over priced. Lol? Nearly every company has at least a product that is over $1000. Acer with its Aspire S7, Samsung with the Ativ Book 9, Alienware with m14x and its desktop line, Hp with its elitebooks and Lenovo with the Carbon X1. Apple is overpriced? They are priced similarly to other competitors. 

Its not just apple that is by your terms "overpriced". 

I don't see your point of the vast majority of people don't use apple on this site. Who cares. It's a bloody tech forum. ANY kind of tech stuff can and will most likely be here. I should've not wasted my time replying to a toxic member. 

"8 percent needed repairs"

Thats because when the customer finds out they need to pay $300 to repair the ram they buy a new laptop.

lol

Any repair under warranty is free. When I still had a Retina Macbook the screen started getting image retention, and took it to an Apple Re-Seller ( Ireland has no Apple stores ), the next day I got it back with a new screen. I check the screen manufacture through the terminal and it was a lovely new Samsung PLS, instead of problem prone LG IPS.

Didn't cost me anything, except the trip to the store.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I've had a $500 Acer(yes, an Acer!) laptop for 8 years and it's got 0 problems. None at all!

Now why would I pay $3000 for a damn Apple laptop because it's the most reliable?

Not to mention warranty is a joke in Romania most of the times and we have no Apple store here (just resellers).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Still overpriced, still an awkward OS, no matter how many times Apple fanboys bring it up.

Seriously, no one here cares on LTT, find an apple site and stay there.

I'm on LTT, and I care.

I don't see what the issue here is, they're apparently the most Reliable. Okay, cool. That means if someone was to buy one they'd get something good, if you weren't going to buy it any way none of it affects you. Still cool.

Any repair under warranty is free. When I still had a Retina Macbook the screen started getting image retention, and took it to an Apple Re-Seller ( Ireland has no Apple stores ), the next day I got it back with a new screen. I check the screen manufacture through the terminal and it was a lovely new Samsung PLS, instead of problem prone LG IPS.

Didn't cost me anything, except the trip to the store.

Physical damage isn't covered by warranty.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Physical damage isn't covered by warranty.

Depends on the physical damage, and I don't know any OEM that covers accidental without a special extra warranty plan.

I'm on LTT, and I care.

I don't see what the issue here is, they're apparently the most Reliable. Okay, cool. That means if someone was to buy one they'd get something good, if you weren't going to buy it any way none of it affects you. Still cool.

I have no doubt the point about reliability is true. For what they charge, it better be. My original point was to make the thread without BS stabs at PC. You found a link talking about Apple's reliability, great, post it, start a thread, whatever.

I'm "toxic" about every product that I can find an equally or better performing equivalent of at a fraction of the price. Be it Apple, Bose, $2000 audio cables or Alienware desktops.

Here in the US, the term "Apple tax"was coined a long time ago. Which is ironic now more than ever since Apple itself doesn't want to pay taxes: 

TimCook1.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Depends on the physical damage, and I don't know any OEM that covers accidental without a special extra warranty plan.

According to the op's article:

Only 8 percent of the people who bought extended warranties ended up using them. And 25 percent of those customers who did have extended warranties and needed something fixed actually had to pay for the repairs

I really don't know what consumer law is like over there, but that sounds like people are paying for the privilege of having to pay to have their brand new faulty products repaired. 

But given this result and the fact that what many consider to be broken could be anything from a virus to gum stuck in a usb port, I would love to see the original survey.  I am having trouble reconciling their figures to my experiences.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Still overpriced, still an awkward OS, no matter how many times Apple fanboys bring it up.

No need to be such a tool, some people on here actually do care about Apple products.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

This is new how? It's pretty much always been.

Not always. The second gen MacBook Pro was flawed. Bad solder on nVidia's BGA packages caused all laptops with a GeForce 8xxxM GPU of that era to be short-lived, but still. Apple wasn't immune to that. Also, some of their early laptops had battery overheating problems.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Not surprising. Owning a white MacBook from 2010 and it still rocks in performance, reliability and most of all battery life. Not a single windows laptop have managed to keep its shine after 4 years of use.

And all Apple laptops are ultrabook not some custom made gaming rig which most people compare it to. Here's a great LTT article that talks about how Macs are well worth it

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/176532-the-macbook-pro-is-actually-not-overpriced-with-ultrabooknotebook-comparison-chart/page-15?hl=macs+are+not+overpriced#entry2376243

You find a fanboy site and stay there, we have a lot of users which use Apple products daily or use hackintoshes, we don't care about ignorant fanboys so leave.

Not always. The second gen MacBook Pro was flawed. Bad solder on nVidia's BGA packages caused all laptops with a GeForce 8xxxM GPU of that era to be short-lived, but still. Apple wasn't immune to that. Also, some of their early laptops had battery overheating problems.

I remember that. Over the years I helped many relatives and friends with desktops and laptops. 2 most jarring "update" experiences were an Apple laptop with the upgrade options deliberately blocked as in they went out of their way to force you to buy a new one and a old Vaio desktop, AGP slot present but physically disabled at OEM level.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

According to the op's article:

I really don't know what consumer law is like over there, but that sounds like people are paying for the privilege of having to pay to have their brand new faulty products repaired. 

But given this result and the fact that what many consider to be broken could be anything from a virus to gum stuck in a usb port, I would love to see the original survey.  I am having trouble reconciling their figures to my experiences.

Yeah I know in the EU you get a 2 year warranty by default on all electronics,  and repairs are mandatory for all manufacturing defects. These include structural issues, and if the battery were to die, swell or explode in that time.

In the USA people Apple only gives a 1 Year warranty unless they pay for the extra Apple care, so I honestly cannot comment on how things are done there at all.

I also do agree that the survey data would be very helpful. It seems that in many of these cases  the clarification would always help, but news sites and other reports rarely make it public. :(

Asus does on a lot of their laptops. I think it's usually ~2 years of regular warranty and 1 year of special "Accidental damage protection" warranty which covers things like drops, spills and so on.

Yes for the iPhone and iPad you are paying 100 dollars, to be able to pay 80 dollars service fee (plus tax) to get it repaired. AppleCare is only valid for up to 2 instances as well.

For their other stuff like the Macbook Pro then there is no service fee but it costs 250 dollars up front.

It doesn't cover all kinds of stuff either. "AppleCare does not provide support for removal of the malware. You should not confirm or deny whether the customer's Mac is infected or not".

Great service...

Anyway about the report. The problem with this is that Apple only sell laptops for 1000 dollars or more, while the others sell a ton of really cheap ones. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that a laptop for 1000 dollars will be better than a 400 dollar laptop. People are also more likely to be careful with more expensive things.

I have no doubt the point about reliability is true. For what they charge, it better be. My original point was to make the thread without BS stabs at PC. You found a link talking about Apple's reliability, great, post it, start a thread, whatever.

I'm "toxic" about every product that I can find an equally or better performing equivalent of at a fraction of the price. Be it Apple, Bose, $2000 audio cables or Alienware desktops.

Here in the US, the term "Apple tax"was coined a long time ago. Which is ironic now more than ever since Apple itself doesn't want to pay taxes: 

Wait, what?! I never started the thread, or found the link. Now you're having a go at me because I care about Apple news? I care about all tech news, that's why I am here and on multiple other tech sites and forums.

I never called you toxic either, what are you on about? You seem to be directing this all at me, for some reason, simply for stating I care about tech news.

Asus does on a lot of their laptops. I think it's usually ~2 years of regular warranty and 1 year of special "Accidental damage protection" warranty which covers things like drops, spills and so on.

Does that apply international, or just specific countries. As the link states you need a Valid USA, or Canada address. A friend of mine had to pay to get his Asus G750 repaired after dropping it in College and cracking the chassis on an edge.

Edit: Oh never mind I see it says this.

Not Covered:

ASUS ADP does NOT apply to the following: scratches and dents, incorrect or inadequate customer installation, lost or stolen products, intentional damage, recovery or transfer or stored data to the product, requests for miscellaneous cables or accessories, and damages caused by acts of God, nature, or war.

Knowing Asus' horrible RMA and support in Ireland and the UK I can easily see them not helping because he dropped it, even though they say they cover drops.

About the only product Apple is king at these days... I have a Macbook Pro, and even though they are prohibitively expensive, they are really really good and reliable!

Well it's true...they are the specs of a mac, and they want $1300 for that...i just don't understand, same with the Apple iPhones etc. I just hate Apple, bad experiences with them.

they charged me 70 dollars for the tech guy to use a screw driver to unjam my power button in like 5 seconds and the power button is still slightly jammed even though i can press it using a lot of force

If their prices matched their products better I don't think much of us "haters" would have such a problem with them.

What would be even more amazing is if they came out with something new, especially by themselves and not rely on other companies like Samsung (for their screen etc.).

Ex: Instead of just making an older product just a little bigger (like the iphone) and then advertising that it's all brand new and has all this new technology and it really doesn't it's just the same product with very little difference and a somewhat bigger screen;

they could make something new or at least come up with a new name. I have a feeling there will be an iphone86 and crApple fans will still be cheering.

Surely these numbers are skewed. Not only will less Apple users get their laptop repaired due to the cost, but younger youth and adults are also less likely to own one because they are extremely expensive, so they are more likely to get a PC, and because they are younger they are more likely to break it. 

Thats not to say that Mac don't have a higher build quality, they do, but give us some straight numbers if you are going to represent that quality. 

Also, fox news? Really? 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?