Apple makes the most reliable laptop

79wjd

They are not a tad expensive, they are overpriced. Vast majority on this site doesn't use Apple computers. Why don't you go to an apple forum, make an inflammatory post about PC's advantage and report the findings.

The air is overpriced as are the non-retina imacs. However, anything with the retina screen is priced pretty decently.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The air is overpriced as are the non-retina imacs. However, anything with the retina screen is priced pretty decently.

the cheapest retina macbook model in the uk is a grand, it has a dual core i5. for the same price you can get things with quad core i7s and a dedicated gpu

They are not a tad expensive, they are overpriced. Vast majority on this site doesn't use Apple computers. Why don't you go to an apple forum, make an inflammatory post about PC's advantage and report the findings.

They're really not that overpriced if at all.

I'll compare a similar windows ultrabook to the Macbook Air with similar after sale support.

The Windows ultrabook is a Dell Latitude E7240 featuring an Core i3 4030U, Win7/8.1, 128gb ssd, 12" 768p display, 4gb of ram priced at $1099. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=cal127w7p101&model_id=latitude-e7240-ultrabook&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

The Macbook air is the base model with a i5 4260u, 4gb of ram, 128gb ssd, 11" 768p display priced at $899 http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

I think I would pick the mba for the faster processor and ssd, better tn panel, better graphics, and lower price. I can even install Windows on it for stuff that are better suited for it.

That's not exactly the same, gas is equivalent to power, Apple isn't exactly different from other manufacturers in that respect............although I would like to see a standard for laptop power bricks/connectors, why does every model of a laptop from pc manufacturers have different plugs!?!?!??! At least Apple has a consistent one with different power draws.....

What I'm trying to say with my example was that with Lexus, you pay more for the same performance that you can get from another manufacturer, however the experience wouldn't be the same, the ride quality (peripherals i.e. the trackpad and the keyboard) is generally better with the Lexus (Apple). It's just a different target audience. I currently have a Dell Latitude E7440 that I got for a great deal and my experience with the laptop is mixed, performance is what you can expect from the specs. However, the trackpad is complete garbage, the screen is also terrible. If I had bought this ultrabook at its retail price, I would had returned it and gotten a macbook air. 

They're no though. I don't find Apple's peripherals any better than most, actually in some aspects I find them worse. There are other options that are just plain better.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

the cheapest retina macbook model in the uk is a grand, it has a dual core i5. for the same price you can get things with quad core i7s and a dedicated gpu

Remind me again how they have 1600p screens or PCIe ssds?

And other things of importance, although not necessarily costly.... A trackpad that doesn't suck (the vast majority of laptop trackpads are god awful), a unibody/solid/slim/light weight construction, and excellent battery life.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Remind me again how they have 1600p screens

lenovo y50 would like a word

and there yogas

lenovo y50 would like a word

and there yogas

The Y50 starts at $1300, has no ssd whatsever let alone a PCIe ssd (which are still quite expensive), comes with only (albeit usually more than enough) 8gb of ram, and the battery life isn't nearly as good. 

Also, all 15" rMBP have quad core i7s. 

So, the comparable Y50 is $1400 + a 256gb PCIe ssd ($260 for a PCIe M.2 Plextor desktop ssd)...so about $1700 vs. $2000; and thats including the $200 coupon currently being applied to the Y50. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Apple laptops are built well. Thing is, Apple only makes high quality laptops. If you only make high quality/expensive computers, yea they probably will last long especially if the models don't Chang a whole lot from year to year.

Asus, Lenovo, Acer, HP, Dell all have different price points. A top of the line Asus laptop is going to have a low problem %

The Y50 starts at $1300, has no ssd whatsever let alone a PCIe ssd (which are still quite expensive), comes with only (albeit usually more than enough) 8gb of ram, and the battery life isn't nearly as good. 

you seem to be under the impression you can compare all the downsides of a non apple laptop to an apple laptop but not the other way round.

you seem to be under the impression you can compare all the downsides of a non apple laptop to an apple laptop but not the other way round.

Okay, lets hear the downsides..... 

The only big problem with the rMBPs is the lack of a dedicated gpu, but thats not exactly uncommon for ultrabooks anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Okay, lets hear the downsides..... 

The only big problem with the rMBPs is the lack of a dedicated gpu, but thats not exactly uncommon for ultrabooks anyway. 

Around £300-400 more expensive to a laptop with same hardware specs excluding screen. which fits in the same ultrabook/portable category. (13 inch models)

15 inch models.  £1600, no gpu, £2000, is £100 more then a razer blade 14 with better specs( excluding screen again). and compared to MSI GS60 line up there around £500 overpriced for worse performance but a better screen.

so either apples screen supplier is heavily over charging them or they love margins.

Around £300-400 more expensive to a laptop with same hardware specs excluding screen. which fits in the same ultrabook/portable category. (13 inch models)

15 inch models.  £1600, no gpu, £2000, is £100 more then a razer blade 14 with better specs( excluding screen again). and compared to MSI GS60 line up there around £500 overpriced for worse performance but a better screen.

so either apples screen supplier is heavily over charging them or they love margins.

Or, and heres a crazy thought....high res screens are very expensive. A decent 27" 1440p screen is a good $300+ more than a 1080p one. And you're also failing to consider how much more expensive PCIe ssds are compared to sata ssds. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Or, and heres a crazy thought....high res screens are very expensive. A decent 27" 1440p screen is a good $300+ more than a 1080p one. And you're also failing to consider how much more expensive PCIe ssds are compared to sata ssds. 

monitors are not comparable to laptop screens

Im not even slightly surprised by that. 

And this thread is going the way of all apple discussions.
Not surprised about that either

Movin' on

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I think most people already knew this, but didn't want to hear it because it is obviously "Apple".

Also, I'm not surprised. I am a strong believer in 'you get what you pay for'. Personally, I don't have an Apple laptop, but I have seen their attention to detail and their industrial design methodology is beyond stellar. They even have matte black PCBs on their laptops and iMacs.

In general, every apple computer I've come into contact with seems to uphold their industrial design. 

PS: Please don't hate me, I don't own an Apple product myself and probably wont due to the cost to benefit ratio. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I say lock the thread, it's mostly morons and fanboys arguing over statistics that don't really mean anything.

Depending on which site you visit average rate of new goods needing repairs can be anywhere from 2% to 43%.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not hard to maintain quality when there's like, 9 different models en total.

And all of them are premium. The other manufacturers are dragged down by either lower-end models, higher volume, or less experience. I think Apple would have still come out on top in an apples-to-apples (pun not intended for once) comparison, but that would have also been due to software factors, like less virus and less things that can go wrong with the OS.

Fox news, the most reliable source of information known to man

From Consumer reports actually, it was just posted through on Fox; but hey, why not just jump to conclusions. 

And its not like Fox is any less credible than any other news source; they all propagate their own bullshit agendas. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Depends on how you define reliability. I define reliability as being I dropped my Toshiba Tecra R700 from a second story balcony and it survived and still works to this day, rather then my friend accidentally dropping an Xbox controller on his MacBook Pro from 3 feet high while it was closed and shattering the glass(?!) on the screen.

I would consider that more durable than reliable. Reliable means I can count on it turning on/waking up from sleep everyday with zero issues. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Reliable of course, when you look at the price of the laptops the "reliability" increases too, i have an HP laptop from 2011 and it has never needed a repair, but look at who is making the study... i mean i dont know how reliable in technology the Foxnews and consumerreports are sooo...

Well we can't deny the fact they really the makers of the most reliable laptops compared to others. Thought the price maybe a lot higher than others, the usability to professionals is just so good.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I still use my MacBook that I've had since 2009. It's never had a problem. The only issue I've encounter is the battery encountering the end of its 1000 cycle life. Shoved a new one in and It was like having a brand new MacBook.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I still use my MacBook that I've had since 2009. It's never had a problem. The only issue I've encounter is the battery encountering the end of its 1000 cycle life. Shoved a new one in and It was like having a brand new MacBook.

Yep, I have an acer aspire from 2007 running vista that also has had zero problems, in fact it's still running it's original battery.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.