How To Talk My Dad Into Letting Me Buy A Miata

Snapy1

And I've driven an Aventador, who cares? That's not a measure of success or validity in opinions. You are no different than any other teenager who ignores solid advice because he thinks he knows better. You don't. You really don't.

seems like a kinda irresponsible person to me, tbh

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Actually, weight does account for acceleration. A lot. I've seen stock Miatas out accelerate big cars like these because the Miata is so light.

It lacks (to my knowledge) 4 wheel drive, and if I remember it's rear wheel drive (could be wrong there) I'd still take that race. Double the traction, double the horse power. I'm not talking a drag race, I'm talking a real race. oh an more than double the torque.

Weight does make a difference, but people tend to overestimate it a lot. Not to mention that having some weight is important to traction.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

just an usual teenagers. I mean look at back our teenage days. We know, that we can afford and maintain a car, I mean come on, of course we can, we were not child anymore. PArents said no. My personal side of the story is that I realised it is A either scooter ( not a car, but that what I could afford ) or B social life

As a person, who tries to dump all of his money into a PC, I chose wisely then with social life, and I should make the same choice again.

We've all been there. And we've all had older people tell us why we were wrong.

Young people think age doesn't bring experience. It does. It brings a lot.

If I regret one thing is not listening to my parents more. They know things. They try to teach us things. Doesn't hurt to try and listen.

We've all been there. And we've all had older people tell us why we were wrong.

Young people think age doesn't bring experience. It does. It brings a lot.

If I regret one thing is not listening to my parents more. They know things. They try to teach us things. Doesn't hurt to try and listen.

Doesn't make it easy to hear, especially if you have parents like mine who are of the position that "you're younger than me, thus you are automatically wrong about anything and everything".

My dad still thinks that playing video games on a computer or TV, hurts the computer and TV.

I thought the title said militia and you wanted to buy a private army

Lol

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

You can always strike him with the hairy side of your hand until he submits. 

Or is that too harsh? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I thought the title said militia and you wanted to buy a private army

Lol

..... that would have been hilarious.

You can always strike him with the hairy side of your hand until he submits. 

Or is that too harsh? 

I'd still say go with a less girly of a car.

I'd still say go with a less girly of a car.

I like the car he wants. Then again, I am someone who wouldn't even care if my first car was a van. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I'd easily match a 1995 3000gt vr4 stock, with the best stock miata from the same year. Remember that when the 3000gt first came out, it was the most technologically advanced car on the market.

I could not agree more. The miata is a chick car, or midlife crisis car

Like I said. As someone who is 6'2" I'd feel kinda awkward with the thing in spite of its otherwise fine driving capabilities. One thing that will never be frowned upon as a big guy is a loud rumbling v8. Now that sound is sex. :D

Like I said. As someone who is 6'2" I'd feel kinda awkward with the thing in spite of its otherwise fine driving capabilities. One thing that will never be frowned upon as a big guy is a loud rumbling v8. Now that sound is sex. :D

I actually have a plan to somehow cram a v8 into a 3000gt, it's actually a comfortable car to sit in as a big guy (5'11", which isn't that big but still, only 3 shorter than you). I have a feeling that it will drive something like a corvette with that much power in it, it's tires are about as wide.

plus every mustang that pulls up next to me wanting to race will get the shock of a lifetime with my electronic Y valve exhaust :P  for some reason they always wanted to race me.

@Trik'Stari, no Miata was turbod until 2005 with the MazdaSpeed Miata by the way. That '95's specs you pulled up is just the normal 1.8 normally aspirated.

Also, I like the 3000gt but come on. It doesn't and wont drive like a Corvette, it wasn't the most technologically advanced car at release (although it was up there) and it's worse at housing large people (I'm 6' 2") than my 300zx which isn't exactly great in that department either. It's a good car but let's not have our bias get in the way.

@Mooshi

For some reason people in America, especially around my age are hyper concerned about their car being seen as girly or homosexual, as if that's actually anything to do with the car and not with the person's self esteem issues. I'll have you all know, girls loved my Miata, guys loved it too. Everybody loved it. It can be a nice looking car and it's fantastic to drive. With a proper turbo (like the Flyin' Miata turbo that the new owner put in right after I sold it), it's legitimately fast too. 200hp is a lot when you only have about 2300lbs of car to move.

For the record. This is what my Miata looked like most of the time I drove it. Other than the gaudy wheels with snow tires, I thought it looked pretty okay.

AgHXRDW.jpg

Also my current 300zx for the luls.

auh9su8.jpg

@GoldfishRT

Said it before. The Miata is a fine drivers car. It's the culture thing, mainly from Americans, that this car gets mocked. In other parts of the world like in England, 2 seater sports cars like this are more respected. I mean geeze, my overly conservative uncle thought I was gay for not talking about breasts and football 24/7. People like that will always call things like the Miata girly and disregard it's capabilities. I wouldn't be surprised if my fav car was called girly since the Silvia S15 has those cat headlamps.

PS: That is a bitchin' Nissan, bruh.

Judging by the way you type, your attitude towards your own father, and you stating that you haven't got a permit yet, I'm assuming your about 15/16 years old? Listen to your father and ask him what he'd want for you to drive. Let go of this rebellious "my parents are bitching" blah blah blah. They're older, wiser, and have you at the forefront of their thoughts at every waking moment of their lives. Get a typical first car, learn to drive right, then get your miata after a few years when both your attitude and driving skills have matured. I don't mean to be mr grumpy here, but seeing as no one else has posted this, I thought I would. I've been in your shoes and, looking back, I'm glad I just listened to my parents. Trust me. At this point in your life they know better than you do.

This. Is. Correct.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Yeah. It is pretty bitchin... for a Datsun (as my friends would say)  ;)

The S15 is a nice looking vehicle. Doesn't really seem like anybody could call it girly but who knows. I only became familiar with the mocking of the Miata after I actually bought one and started visiting forums. Only ever happened once or twice though in person. Usually from teenagers rolling around in base model Civics with fart cans and 12"s in the back and a transformers logo on the front.  :rolleyes:

Said it before. The Miata is a fine drivers car. It's the culture thing, mainly from Americans, that this car gets mocked. In other parts of the world like in England, 2 seater sports cars like this are more respected. I mean geeze, my overly conservative uncle thought I was gay for not talking about breasts and football 24/7. People like that will always call things like the Miata girly and disregard it's capabilities. I wouldn't be surprised if my fav car was called girly since the Silvia S15 has those cat headlamps.

I was lucky enough to have friends that understood cars at the time when I bought it. It was mostly sour grapes from the few that perceived it as girly or gay. Take them out to a canyon or any winding road with the top down at 8/10ths and they'll probably get it very quickly. There were some that still refused to even go for a ride, which I guess is fairly insulting, but you can't please everyone. I've never had anyone insult it while talking to me, only at stoplights where they could turn or accelerate away, and a couple incidents of vandalism. Car owner stereotypes get pretty silly.

ever thought of getting a 1999 Impreza?

I refuse to get a used WRX (or 2.5rs) or a used Evo, unless I know the owner personally. Evos and WRX's are usually owned by kids who will run them really hard, now dont get me wrong I understand Evos and WRX's arent cars just to drive around in, yes there made to be ridden hard but kids seem to be more careless when doing so. Not saying all kids, I know few kids with evos and wrx's that take really good car of there cars and I know some people who treat them badly.

Again this just opinions :P

@Trik'Stari, no Miata was turbod until 2005 with the MazdaSpeed Miata by the way. That '95's specs you pulled up is just the normal 1.8 normally aspirated.

Also, I like the 3000gt but come on. It doesn't and wont drive like a Corvette, it wasn't the most technologically advanced car at release (although it was up there) and it's worse at housing large people (I'm 6' 2") than my 300zx which isn't exactly great in that department either. It's a good car but let's not have our bias get in the way.

@Mooshi

For some reason people in America, especially around my age are hyper concerned about their car being seen as girly or homosexual, as if that's actually anything to do with the car and not with the person's self esteem issues. I'll have you all know, girls loved my Miata, guys loved it too. Everybody loved it. It can be a nice looking car and it's fantastic to drive. With a proper turbo (like the Flyin' Miata turbo that the new owner put in right after I sold it), it's legitimately fast too. 200hp is a lot when you only have about 2300lbs of car to move.

For the record. This is what my Miata looked like most of the time I drove it. Other than the gaudy wheels with snow tires, I thought it looked pretty okay.

-snip

Also my current 300zx for the luls.

-snip

I do love a 300z, nice looking car. The Miata is a girls car though dude, it's mostly driven by girls, and buy older gentlement who have lost most of their hair, thats where the stereotype comes from.

You are wrong, the 3000gt was the most technologically advanced car in the world when it debuted, Clarkson said it on old top gear way back when, and if you slide the seat all the way back, a 6'2" monstrosity can fit in it easily, my dad's that height and he always found mine comfortable.

Also this: Brodie Britain Racing (BBR) of Brackley, United Kingdom, have had a long history of involvement with the first generation (NA) cars in the UK, having supplied parts and equipment for a dealer supplied BBR Turbo version of the car between 1990 and 1991. This raised power output to 150 bhp (110 kW), and produced 154 ft·lb (209 N·m) of torque. The kit comprised 68 parts and was covered by a full dealer warranty. They were supplied and fitted to around 750 UK spec cars, including for the 1991 'Le Mans' special edition, with a further 150 kits being supplied overseas.[7]

Edit: Did not see that was a kit. Still, 3000gt ftw :P it was my first car, I loved it, I always will love that car.

I refuse to get a used WRX (or 2.5rs) or a used Evo, unless I know the owner personally. Evos and WRX's are usually owned by kids who will run them really hard, now dont get me wrong I understand Evos and WRX's arent cars just to drive around in, yes there made to be ridden hard but kids seem to be more careless when doing so. Not saying all kids, I know few kids with evos and wrx's that take really good car of there cars and I know some people who treat them badly.

how old are you anyway?

I just to interject that clearly you aren't paying for it all if you're using someone else's insurance.

Also, buying expensive cars as a kid probably isn't the best idea.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I refuse to get a used WRX (or 2.5rs) or a used Evo, unless I know the owner personally. Evos and WRX's are usually owned by some 16 Y-o who thinks they are the stig, but knows fuckall about cars and can drive properly in NFS in auto mode who will run them really hard, now dont get me wrong I understand Evos and WRX's arent cars just to drive around in, yes there made to be ridden hard but some 16 Y-o who thinks they are the stig, but knows fuckall about cars and can drive properly in NFS in auto mode seem to be more careless when doing so. Not saying all some 16 Y-o who thinks they are the stig, but knows fuckall about cars and can drive properly in NFS in auto mode, I know few some 16 Y-o who thinks they are the stig, but knows fuckall about cars and can drive properly in NFS in auto mode with evos and wrx's that take really good car of there cars and I know some people who treat them badly.

Okay I changed all the "kids" words, so it is matching you

HOW DOES A 15 Y-O CALL 16 YEAR OLDS KIDS????????????????????

I do love a 300z, nice looking car. The Miata is a girls car though dude, it's mostly driven by girls, and buy older gentlement who have lost most of their hair, thats where the stereotype comes from.

You are wrong, the 3000gt was the most technologically advanced car in the world when it debuted, Clarkson said it on old top gear way back when, and if you slide the seat all the way back, a 6'2" monstrosity can fit in it easily, my dad's that height and he always found mine comfortable.

Also this: Brodie Britain Racing (BBR) of Brackley, United Kingdom, have had a long history of involvement with the first generation (NA) cars in the UK, having supplied parts and equipment for a dealer supplied BBR Turbo version of the car between 1990 and 1991. This raised power output to 150 bhp (110 kW), and produced 154 ft·lb (209 N·m) of torque. The kit comprised 68 parts and was covered by a full dealer warranty. They were supplied and fitted to around 750 UK spec cars, including for the 1991 'Le Mans' special edition, with a further 150 kits being supplied overseas.[7]

Edit: Did not see that was a kit. Still, 3000gt ftw :P it was my first car, I loved it, I always will love that car.

If only I could get a low sportscar, that would not look dumb as hell as I ride it. (6'5")

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come