How To Talk My Dad Into Letting Me Buy A Miata

Snapy1

Like others have mentioned, Miatas have some of the lowest insurance rates, especially for sports cars. That said, I'd be hesitant to purchase that one with the "re-manufactured" engine and no mileage listed. I'd also be putting the rest of the car under a microscope after being driven by a stickerbombing doofus.

Like others have mentioned, Miatas have some of the lowest insurance rates, especially for sports cars. That said, I'd be hesitant to purchase that one with the "re-manufactured" engine and no mileage listed. I'd also be putting the rest of the car under a microscope after being driven by a stickerbombing doofus.

^ this. And I'd like to see how the Miata fares against a 3000gt in insurance pricing, especially when the idiot at the DMV registers the 3000gt as a 3 door hatchback instead of a 2 door coupe. Mine was registered as a hatch back, so the insurance was stupid low for what it should have been.....everyone always tried to race me as well, even though it was an automatic.

My top speed in that car, 135mph

Edit: In all fairness, it IS a hatchback, but it still should probably be considered a 2 door coupe, also I'd put a 4wd turbo 3000gt stock (they came stock like that) up against a miata any day, straight line or corners

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Judging by the way you type, your attitude towards your own father, and you stating that you haven't got a permit yet, I'm assuming your about 15/16 years old? Listen to your father and ask him what he'd want for you to drive. Let go of this rebellious "my parents are bitching" blah blah blah. They're older, wiser, and have you at the forefront of their thoughts at every waking moment of their lives. Get a typical first car, learn to drive right, then get your miata after a few years when both your attitude and driving skills have matured. I don't mean to be mr grumpy here, but seeing as no one else has posted this, I thought I would. I've been in your shoes and, looking back, I'm glad I just listened to my parents. Trust me. At this point in your life they know better than you do.

Tell him you want to go through your mid life crisis now rather than later and prat of that is buying the miata.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I fought with the safety cons and eventually decided that its maneuverability was a safety asset. Its brakes are also on par (as far as stopping distance goes) with modern cars. I still have my anxieties concerning soccer moms in Lexus SUVs t-boning me, but I think I'd have those in just about any other car as well. I can't speak for that particular 1990 model, but my 2002 handles very well, and has been a sweetheart when it comes to repair and maintenance costs. They're very simple and fun. I wouldn't bother benchracing, that's not what the Miata is about.

Judging by the way you type, your attitude towards your own father, and you stating that you haven't got a permit yet, I'm assuming your about 15/16 years old? Listen to your father and ask him what he'd want for you to drive. Let go of this rebellious "my parents are bitching" blah blah blah. They're older, wiser, and have you at the forefront of their thoughts at every waking moment of their lives. Get a typical first car, learn to drive right, then get your miata after a few years when both your attitude and driving skills have matured. I don't mean to be mr grumpy here, but seeing as no one else has posted this, I thought I would. I've been in your shoes and, looking back, I'm glad I just listened to my parents. Trust me. At this point in your life they know better than you do.

Cannot agree more. Still the 3000gt is a good car to learn on, it's tough (again, head on, both going 35mph, and it backed away from the other car), it's fast enough to be fun, and handles really well, even in the wet. And it has a back seat...if you aren't tall or your friends have no legs. Also, if you put an aftermarket sound system in it, the angle of the back window is really good for acoustics and such, mine was way louder than it should have been with a single 10 inch kicker subwoofer, beat out my friends dual 12 inch woofers in a base comp, and he had a 500w amp, mine was only a 470w

I fought with the safety cons and eventually decided that its maneuverability was a safety asset. Its brakes are also on par (as far as stopping distance goes) with modern cars. I still have my anxieties concerning soccer moms in Lexus SUVs t-boning me, but I think I'd have those in just about any other car as well. I can't speak for that particular 1990 model, but my 2002 handles very well, and has been a sweetheart when it comes to repair and maintenance costs. They're very simple and fun. I wouldn't bother benchracing, that's not what the Miata is about.

Maneuverability doesn't help you with the car you don't see coming from the side. Miata's are death traps, period.

Maneuverability doesn't help you with the car you don't see coming from the side. Miata's are death traps, period.

I wasn't arguing they weren't. Every time I get into it I'm reminded of the fact. It's a lightweight car without a roof structure missing over a decade of safety advancements. Duh.

I still bought one when I was 22, and I'm still around. Anecdotally, it's the safest car I've ever had! :lol:

-snip-

I really do not understand why people think miata's are death traps. Sure they are a small car, but that does not mean they are not safe. In the picture you posted, sure the front end is screwed up, put look at where the passenger and and driver are. it looks intact to me. That was definitely a 70+mph crash. Crumple zones are what save lives in crashes, not frame rigidity. If you  have never driven a miata, i suggest you try it. You would have some trouble keeping up with a nicely set up miata in a 3000gt vr4. There is a reason miata's are regarded as the best drivers car you can get for the money.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I was 15 like you once, and I waited my goddamn turn to either A) be given a car to drive or B) buy my own with proper support. You think car ownership is cheap? Insurance, gas, upkeep costs, initial purchase. It isn't. You're a kid. Take a break. Listen to your parents. 

I lasted my entire high school days driving a shitty econobox Suzuki Swift that did its job just fine. I was okay with not having the flashiest car on the lot, or by not getting "laid by all the hotties because of my sweet ride". Only idiots think that actually works. 

You know why I'm telling you to calm down and wait? Cause if you are worth anything, you'll do well in life and be able to afford very nice cars before you even hit 25. Put in the hard work, manage your money well. Now is not the time to be flashy with expenses. Buy a well used Accord or something similar if you are so desperate for a car. 

I was okay with a dodgy Swift and a less dodgy but still serviceable Fusion. I didn't need or want to spend money on stuff that would kill my bank account savings for no reason. I'm now in a position, come next January, to buy a E92 M3. A proper sports car. A real drivers car. One of the funnest cars I've ever driven, and something that I can reasonably afford and maintain. And I'm still on the good side of being under 30. 

You think you want a car so bad, you don't. You really don't.

Don't ignore what your parents say. They kinda do know more than you. They've been through the same shit as you, they have the knowledge that you don't have yet. You will NEVER know more about life experiences than they will. They are your parents after all.

Listen to your dad. He has some wisdom there. We all want nice things when we are kids. Real wisdom is being able to understand that you can't always have them, don't always need them, and should heed the advice of those that have walked that path before. If your parents are saying no, there is a very good reason. Most parents aren't assholes for no reason. They are smarter than you almost all the time. 

You, sadly, sound like most kids on this forum. A bit entitled, a bit selfish, a bit "know it all". You think your 15 minutes of building a PC and knowing how to argue on reddit make you "the shit". In reality, they make you nothing more then shit itself. No offence, thats just how most kids your age are. I say this because many of us older folk were like that too. 

I saw "lancaster" and immediately thought you wanted to buy a bomber.

LOL @Victorious Secret

I think most of that is right, I may be 15. But I like to think I don't think like that :P

I know I don't need a car, why? Because I can walk to school and work. I laughed at the part about getting laid because of a car, I don't even think people should be worried about dating @15-16.

I think your rant/paragraph will help OP. (I hope)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

if you don't have the money to insure the car yourself, then you don't have the money to do all the fun things you want to do with that car - but being young you think you can and you'll spend on it anyway, leaving you with even less of what little you have

then a few years from now you'll be entering adulthood and either need money or have money to buy something nicer - and you're stuck with that Miata you thought was so important to you years ago, that you probably dumped money into for fun, but is worth even less now

cars are a hobby - a hobby is to be enjoyed comfortably with EXTRA, not with ALL of your funds. you only want that miata because it's what you can afford NOW - there are tons of better things you could do with your money

A Miata was my first car and I loved it. I'd still love it if I hadn't sold it. Great fun and highly maneuverable.

Anybody that kids themselves into thinking they'll be in good shape at a 70+ mph collision is kidding themselves. Keep your eye on the road and drive like everybody is out to kill you no matter what you're rolling around in. 

And for the record, my '99 Miata was probably a lot safer in a collision than my larger, "sturdier" (friends words not mine) '91 300zx Z32 is. Luckily I haven't had to find out in either of them.

That said I agree with the poster above that having your own car isn't really something you should concern yourself with until you are both older and financially able to eat having to purchase another one in a worst case scenario that the car you buy combusts spontaneously like an old Fiero :P. Having a car and being broke isn't worth it. Use that money to help yourself make even more money so you can buy all the toys you want. 

OP, are you asian?

I swear I'm not trying to be racist. I'm asian too and I can relate.

Nope not asian

I was 15 like you once, and I waited my goddamn turn to either A) be given a car to drive or B) buy my own with proper support. You think car ownership is cheap? Insurance, gas, upkeep costs, initial purchase. It isn't. You're a kid. Take a break. Listen to your parents. 

I lasted my entire high school days driving a shitty econobox Suzuki Swift that did its job just fine. I was okay with not having the flashiest car on the lot, or by not getting "laid by all the hotties because of my sweet ride". Only idiots think that actually works. 

You know why I'm telling you to calm down and wait? Cause if you are worth anything, you'll do well in life and be able to afford very nice cars before you even hit 25. Put in the hard work, manage your money well. Now is not the time to be flashy with expenses. Buy a well used Accord or something similar if you are so desperate for a car. 

I was okay with a dodgy Swift and a less dodgy but still serviceable Fusion. I didn't need or want to spend money on stuff that would kill my bank account savings for no reason. I'm now in a position, come next January, to buy a E92 M3. A proper sports car. A real drivers car. One of the funnest cars I've ever driven, and something that I can reasonably afford and maintain. And I'm still on the good side of being under 30. 

You think you want a car so bad, you don't. You really don't.

Don't ignore what your parents say. They kinda do know more than you. They've been through the same shit as you, they have the knowledge that you don't have yet. You will NEVER know more about life experiences than they will. They are your parents after all.

Listen to your dad. He has some wisdom there. We all want nice things when we are kids. Real wisdom is being able to understand that you can't always have them, don't always need them, and should heed the advice of those that have walked that path before. If your parents are saying no, there is a very good reason. Most parents aren't assholes for no reason. They are smarter than you almost all the time. 

You, sadly, sound like most kids on this forum. A bit entitled, a bit selfish, a bit "know it all". You think your 15 minutes of building a PC and knowing how to argue on reddit make you "the shit". In reality, they make you nothing more then shit itself. No offence, thats just how most kids your age are. I say this because many of us older folk were like that too. 

grr, your one of those people aren't you.

EDIT: I am paying for the whole car myself, I have a job (I could probably make more than you do in a week if I worked more days a week(which I could, im just not), just saying).

I am clearly a car guy (check out my 2 links in my signature :P  *hide shameless self promotion*), im not one of those irresponsible teenagers who "just wonna look cool". Driving and cars are hobby to me (well driving soon :P) I like to go on cruise with my friends, drive through the mountains, I like to see exotic cars, I like to see tuner cars man, its a hobby to me, its not to look cool, its not to show off or anything.

And your attitude though at the end. Just chill dude really, thats pretty low. Not all people are like that, as a matter of fact I know a lot of kids on these forums who arent like that. Before I built my first PC I had a lot of knowledge on it just because I was interested and I have done a lot of research. Almost every video I watched I would learn something new  or every forum thread I read. .

grr, your one of those people aren't you.

1.EDIT: I am paying for the whole car myself, I have a job (I could probably make more than you do in a week if I worked more days a week(which I could, im just not), just saying).

2.I am clearly a car guy (check out my 2 links in my signature :P  *hide shameless self promotion*), im not one of those irresponsible teenagers who "just wonna look cool". Driving and cars are hobby to me (well driving soon :P) I like to go on cruise with my friends, drive through the mountains, I like to see exotic cars, I like to see tuner cars man.

3.And your attitude though at the end. Just chill dude really, thats pretty low. Not all people are like that, as a matter of fact I know a lot of kids on these forums who arent like that. Before I built my first PC I had a lot of knowledge on it just because I was interested and I have done a lot of research. Almost every video I watched I would learn something new.

1. Woah woah woah, rich kid. just to remind you, that many people here has few thousand $$ PC-s. next to their family, cars and life.

This is not a place for " I have a bigger penis"arguement.

2. Clearly a car guy because you love watching cars on youtube? I know that you must start somewhere, but come on, you clearly have not own a car, how would you be a car guy? have you drove a car yet for more than 5 miles?

3. every teenager KNOWS that they are not like the other. they are better. same here. goddamn, I  am happy that it is over.....

If you mismatch your PC components, what happens? A it does not work, you cannot play games, or B, little smoke, and buy new one.

What about car? many many dollars of damage can be cause by as simple as not checking your oil weekly on a used car, or crashing, as you tried to fix something from youtube and did not work out imagined...

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is do not put your money into money pits. you are young. your job is to do well in school, make friends and f*ck girls until you can do with no problem. Cars, responsibilities and other stuff can wait, they will come 

1. Woah woah woah, rich kid. just to remind you, that many people here has few thousand $$ PC-s. next to their family, cars and life.

This is not a place for " I have a bigger penis"arguement.

2. Clearly a car guy because you love watching cars on youtube? I know that you must start somewhere, but come on, you clearly have not own a car, how would you be a car guy? have you drove a car yet for more than 5 miles?

3. every teenager KNOWS that they are not like the other. they are better. same here. goddamn, I  am happy that it is over.....

If you mismatch your PC components, what happens? A it does not work, you cannot play games, or B, little smoke, and buy new one.

What about car? many many dollars of damage can be cause by as simple as not checking your oil weekly on a used car, or crashing, as you tried to fix something from youtube and did not work out imagined...

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is do not put your money into money pits. you are young. your job is to do well in school, make friends and f*ck girls until you can do with no problem. Cars, responsibilities and other stuff can wait, they will come 

1 I aint rich, I just know how to save my money. I love in a trailer park :P Dont tell me im rich please.

2 I drove my friends 418HP 200sx and I once rode in a Ferrari 458, those were the fastest cars I ever been in (the 200sx I drove). And I actually do currently have a car, I have a Mazda Mini-Van (need to put an new alternator in it) but im gonna sell that once I get arround to fixing it up.

1 I aint rich, I just know how to save my money. I love in a trailer park :P Dont tell me im rich please.

2 I drove my friends 418HP 200sx and I once rode in a Ferrari 458, those were the fastest cars I ever been in (the 200sx I drove). And I actually do currently have a car, I have a Mazda Mini-Van (need to put an new alternator in it) but im gonna sell that once I get arround to fixing it up.

EDIT: I am paying for the whole car myself, I have a job (I could probably make more than you do in a week if I worked more days a week(which I could, im just not), just saying).

2. thats cool story. ask them, how much does it cost for them. and do not let a car stand in your future as a bad financial decision

And I've driven an Aventador, who cares? That's not a measure of success or validity in opinions.

You are no different than any other teenager who ignores solid advice because he thinks he knows better. You don't. You really don't.

lel this thread.

Miata's aren't bad cars, it depends on preference. Though, as someone who is 6'2", I would never own one. That'd look silly. I'm going to say those who are all implying homosexuality,girly and so on are probably from N.America since the Miata is basically a Japanese take on the British sports car. The Mazda : D face in the front also doesn't help in making it look aggressive. All that aside, it's a drivers car.

Personally, I find the RX-7 to be the only Mazda with sex appeal.

f77dfef2e039bb827f498ed4cd1aef9d.png

lel this thread.

Miata's aren't bad cars, it depends on preference. Though, as someone who is 6'2", I would never own one. That'd look silly. I'm going to say those who are all implying homosexuality,girly and so on are probably from N.America since the Miata is basically a Japanese take on the British sports car. The Mazda : D face in the front also doesn't help in making it look aggressive. All that aside, it's a drivers car.

Dude, I haven't seen one of the current gen. I only see the first gens here in the states. But yeah, Miatas are very awkward to drive once you get to a certain height point.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I really do not understand why people think miata's are death traps. Sure they are a small car, but that does not mean they are not safe. In the picture you posted, sure the front end is screwed up, put look at where the passenger and and driver are. it looks intact to me. That was definitely a 70+mph crash. Crumple zones are what save lives in crashes, not frame rigidity. If you  have never driven a miata, i suggest you try it. You would have some trouble keeping up with a nicely set up miata in a 3000gt vr4. There is a reason miata's are regarded as the best drivers car you can get for the money.

I'd easily match a 1995 3000gt vr4 stock, with the best stock miata from the same year. Remember that when the 3000gt first came out, it was the most technologically advanced car on the market.

lel this thread.

f77dfef2e039bb827f498ed4cd1aef9d.png

I could not agree more. The miata is a chick car, or midlife crisis car

I'd easily match a 1995 3000gt vr4 stock, with the best stock miata from the same year. Remember that when the 3000gt first came out, it was the most technologically advanced car on the market.

But do you know how fricking heavy that car is?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But do you know how fricking heavy that car is?

Yes, I had one. It's still going to be faster, bigger engine, more power, more grip. Weight only accounts for so much.

Just wiki'd the specs of the top of the line miata from 95, I'd pink slip that race, miata would lose hands down. With a turbo it had 128 bhp (95 kW) @6,500 110 ft·lbf (149 N·m) @5,000

Vs the 3000gt's 238.4 kW (324 PS; 320 hp) at 6000 rpm 427 N·m (315 lb·ft) at 2500 rpm

Both from wikipedia

Yes, I had one. It's still going to be faster, bigger engine, more power, more grip. Weight only accounts for so much.

Actually, weight does account for acceleration. A lot. I've seen stock Miatas out accelerate big cars like these because the Miata is so light.