How To Talk My Dad Into Letting Me Buy A Miata

Snapy1

okay so I have the money to buy a half decent Miata (specifically this one http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4667363283.html )

But hes bitching about how his insurance would be ridiculously high. I have done my research and it would only go up about 50 dollars (my dads 58 and has never been into an accident and only got pulled over 3 times.

How can I talk him into it.

Tell him that you will pay the difference on the insurance, that's fair.

Though if you were my kid I wouldn't let that car in my driveway on principle alone, that stickerbombing shit is a really special kind of disabled.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

$50 isn't a whole lot, I'd say he needs to calm the fuck down. xD

If only I could get a 2008-2012 camaro....

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

ikr right, he so damn cheap. He bitches at me because Ill go buy a tea for a dollar everyday on my way to school he says its a waste of money.

Half the time I just ignore him lol.

I own one ('91 model year). Insurance really isn't really much higher. What's he actually concerned about?

Go out and buy it he won't have a choice then

Thats actually a ridiculously good idea. I can grab my friends dads race trailer go pick it up and take it to his house, inspect it and then get my friend to drive it home (dont get my permit til late may)

Thats actually a ridiculously good idea. I can grab my friends dads race trailer go pick it up and take it to his house, inspect it and then get my friend to drive it home (dont get my permit til late may)

It will work I've done it several times before and once you've paid there is no going back so your dad will just have to deal with it

Tell him that you will pay the difference on the insurance, that's fair.

Though if you were my kid I wouldn't let that car in my driveway on principle alone, that stickerbombing shit is a really special kind of disabled.

Stickerbombing alright on some cars, I saw a 240sx with a stickerbombed hood and it looked really good.

Dude, miatas are cheap as hell to insure. What is your dad on about? Also, if you do get that car, please do yourself a favor and ditch the raceland coil overs as soon as you can. They give such a horrible ride while not performing all that well. Also make sure you look over the car VERY well. I have seen allot of miata's that look nice on the outside but have some serious sub frame damage. Just make sure it was not abused.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Dude, miatas are cheap as hell to insure. What is your dad on about? Also, if you do get that car, please do yourself a favor and ditch the raceland coil overs as soon as you can. They give such a horrible ride while not performing all that well. Also make sure you look over the car VERY well. I have seen allot of miata's that look nice on the outside but have some serious sub frame damage. Just make sure it was not abused.

Oh well im not sure if im going to buy that one just yet. lol. I have tons of options.

OP, are you asian?

I swear I'm not trying to be racist. I'm asian too and I can relate.

Oh well im not sure if im going to buy that one just yet. lol. I have tons of options.

Yeah, its just about winter, so you should see allot popping up on cl. Just be very careful when dealing with used miatas. Allot of people abuse the hell out of them, break them, and try and get their money back any way they can. At least that is how it is where i live. If i was in your position, i would try and find a unmodified miata if possible.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Yeah, its just about winter, so you should see allot popping up on cl. Just be very careful when dealing with used miatas. Allot of people abuse the hell out of them, break them, and try and get their money back any way they can. At least that is how it is where i live. If i was in your position, i would try and find a unmodified miata if possible.

But stock is no fun :(

But stock is no fun :(

Buying likely broken cars is no fun either. The best way to have a fun car is to modify it your self. A stock car gives a better platform to build off of. Especially with miata's. It doesn't take much to make them absolute autox monsters. Nice grippy tires, a set of lightweight wheels, a torsen lsd, and some decent coil overs and you have one amazing handling car.

Buying likely broken cars is no fun either. The best way to have a fun car is to modify it your self. A stock car gives a better platform to build off of. Especially with miata's. It doesn't take much to make them absolute autox monsters. Nice grippy tires, a set of lightweight wheels, a torsen lsd, and some decent coil overs and you have one amazing handling car.

Excellent point :D

@Snapy1 if you buy a stock MX-5 (Miata) watch the mighty car mods videos on how to do one up yourself

okay so I have the money to buy a half decent Miata (specifically this one http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4667363283.html )

But hes bitching about how his insurance would be ridiculously high. I have done my research and it would only go up about 50 dollars (my dads 58 and has never been into an accident and only got pulled over 3 times.

How can I talk him into it.

That's a chick car. GL getting ladies in that jalopy.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Dude, don't SERIOUSLY. I used to deliver pizza, so I've seen some accidents involving those, they are fucking death traps.

If you want a decent sports car that's built solid, looks good, and hugs the road ridiculously well, get something like a 3000gt.

1152140271.jpg

I was in a head on in my 3000gt, it still ran afterwards (barely, no coolant), but it didn't look like this fucking thing. Don't even ask me what happens when a miata gets t-boned by a tractor trailer, even at 45, your in a body bag.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If only I could get a 2008-2012 camaro....

Nah it's only $750 a year he won't have if he has to pay it

Anyway OP what did you mean by 'you did research' for the insurance? Did you get a quote from your dad's insurance company? Any 'research' won't be very accurate if it isn't the insurance company themselves which looks at all the personal information. You might not be far off, but at least try to start there. Otherwise... say you'll pay for it yourself

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Does that car come with a vagina? 

Dude, don't SERIOUSLY. I used to deliver pizza, so I've seen some accidents involving those, they are fucking death traps.

If you want a decent sports car that's built solid, looks good, and hugs the road ridiculously well, get something like a 3000gt.

1152140271.jpg

I was in a head on in my 3000gt, it still ran afterwards (barely, no coolant), but it didn't look like this fucking thing. Don't even ask me what happens when a miata gets t-boned by a tractor trailer, even at 45, your in a body bag.

Ow, why do you guys really want these sports cars? I don't understand it.... I want a Honda Accord still :C

Am I the only one considering safety here? Miata's are death traps, literally. I'd buy my kid a smart car out of my own pocket before I let him buy his own Miata (If I had a kid).

Ow, why do you guys really want these sports cars? I don't understand it.... I want a Honda Accord still :C

3000gtlev.jpg

3000gt^ bigger than an accord, tougher (in my opinion) sexier looking, and drives better. The tires are almost as wide as that of a corvete. you can throw it into corners without losing traction (in my experience) and it still has a nice ride as well. My first car was a 3000gt, and my next car (probably going to buy a toyota pickup next as transportation) will be a 3000. I loved mine, had it for 6 years with no accidents or tickets. I cried when I lost her. That thing was like my best friend. Got me out of many a jam

Am I the only one considering safety here? Miata's are death traps, literally. I'd buy my kid a smart car out of my own pocket before I let him buy his own Miata (If I had a kid).

By this logic, we should all be driving volvos. Cars are dangerous, period...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

By this logic, we should all be driving volvos. Cars are dangerous, period...

Fair enough, but I can think of a lot of cars with better safety records than Miata's.