AMD Wants To Crash Nvidia's GTX 980 & 970 Launch Party

Well given Larrabe scared the bejesus out of Nvidia to the point they yanked their GPU intellectual property agreements with Intel, it wouldn't surprise me if Intel leveraged that in a buyout proposal, in addition to its vastly superior fabrication facilities over TSMC and GloFo.

Could lead to Nvidia making some very interesting 14nm cards for a short period.

Well given Larrabe scared the bejesus out of Nvidia to the point they yanked their GPU intellectual property agreements with Intel, it wouldn't surprise me if Intel leveraged that in a buyout proposal, in addition to its vastly superior fabrication facilities over TSMC and GloFo.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I doubt Intel will do too much to increase their iGPU to the point it makes AMD need to call their designers and come up with some sort of wizardry. They know it will mess with the market.

An opinion because of facts, still not entirely wrong. AMD needs to be put under water because their design isn't as good as their competitors. You take a hydro copper Z and bench that, you'll get numbers that run past the 295X2.

Let's not forgot that a setup like that would be more the double the price of the R9 295x2. I would rather save money :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Ignorance blinds you, I only stated facts.

You make a blanket statement about AMD cards being shit and im the ignorant one?
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Let's not forgot that a setup like that would be more the double the price of the R9 295x2. I would rather save money :P

Let's not forget the card itself is 3x the cost. :P But talking straight numbers, it's still better. I'm not saying the 295X2 is bad for the money, it's great. But AMD really needs to control their thermals, maybe an architecture change like Nvidia did from SMX to SMM will save their bacon for the time being.

I doubt Intel will do too much to increase their iGPU to the point it makes AMD need to call their designers and come up with some sort of wizardry. They know it will mess with the market.

Broadwell's Iris Pro 6200 brings 2 Teraflops, or 2.4x the compute power of Iris 5200. You really think Intel won't go after the whole pie? Why do you think Skylake is bringing unified memory the way Kaveri did? Intel is not waiting around for Jim Keller's first real chip to be born.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You make a blanket statement about AMD cards being shit and im the ignorant one?

You make asinine statements without using context clues to tell what the hell I'm talking about. Yes, you are the ignorant one.

Broadwell's Iris Pro 6200 brings 2 Teraflops, or 2.4x the compute power of Iris 5200. You really think Intel won't go after the whole pie? Why do you think Skylake is bringing unified memory the way Kaveri did? Intel is not waiting around for Jim Keller's first real chip to be born.

Intel still has problems with things like DirectX. Yes they'll go after the pie but they're only giving AMD a little nudge going "we'll catch up to you eventually!" 

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Larrabe was Intel's first attempt at making a graphics card, using Nvidia's intellectual property of graphics architecture as a guide. There's a cover story Intel abandoned the design because of poor performance scaling, but the stark reality upon further research is Nvidia walked away because Intel created a card under 250 watts that kicked the snot out of the then flagship of Nvidia: the GTX 580.

A year later we see the release of the Xeon Phi, an x86 coprocessor that looks a hell of a lot like a graphics card, with such high compute performance the Xeon Phi has not had an update in 3 years, and the Nvidia Teslas haven't caught up in perf/watt or performance itself.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You make asinine statements without using context clues to tell what the hell I'm talking about. Yes, you are the ignorant one.

Lmao you want me to use context clues? What part didnt you understand?

Larrabe was Intel's first attempt at making a graphics card, using Nvidia's intellectual property of graphics architecture as a guide. There's a cover story Intel abandoned the design because of poor performance scaling, but the stark reality upon further research is Nvidia walked away because Intel created a card under 250 watts that kicked the snot out of the then flagship of Nvidia: the GTX 580.

A year later we see the release of the Xeon Phi, an x86 coprocessor that looks a hell of a lot like a graphics card, with such high compute performance the Xeon Phi has not had an update in 3 years, and the Nvidia Teslas haven't caught up in perf/watt or performance itself.

So what you're telling me, is that Intel had a "hush hush" graphics card that was amazingly good. If they ever get back there, they would change the market.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Intel still has problems with things like DirectX. Yes they'll go after the pie but they're only giving AMD a little nudge going "we'll catch up to you eventually!"

The DX problems stem solely from bad drivers and a lack of tessellation, polymorph, and now other hardware engines which have cropped up in previous years. In terms of compute power, Intel has already surpassed AMD's APUs 2:1.

But that's no fun !

Plus AMD has always thrown gaffes at Nvidia even during the ATi days.

v=2QkyfGJgcwQ

Wow, that was retarded

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Lmao you want me to use context clues? What part didnt you understand?

Mhk then.

So what you're telling me, is that Intel had a "hush hush" graphics card that was amazingly good. If they ever get back there, they would change the market.

Intel being a third contender would make the market really interesting to say the least.

The DX problems stem solely from bad drivers and a lack of tessellation, polymorph, and now other hardware engines which have cropped up in previous years. In terms of compute power, Intel has already surpassed AMD's APUs 2:1.

Yes, we still have to wait for their R&D department to create these things though. So at the moment it's only a scary nudge. :D

It wasn't hush hush at all, but it never came to market for graphics. It became a general-purpose coprocessor with more than 6 teraflops of performance which is used in all of the greatest supercomputers now. I'm saying if Intel bought Nvidia, there wouldn't be AMD graphics cards a decade later. You'd have the updated 10nm version of Larrabe equipped with CUDA, Intel's floating point units, and Nvidia's hardware engines for tessellation, polymorph, etc.. You'd have Intel's compute behind Nvidia's graphics expertise on Intel's much smaller process nodes. AMD would be slaughtered wholesale and gone within a decade. I think, however, that since Intel and Nvidia technically compete in graphics solutions now, there's enough legally standing in the way of a direct merger.

Also, could you please provide context clues for shit? It is probably the most intelligent way someone could explain why Amd cards are inferior to Nvidia......

It wasn't hush hush at all, but it never came to market for graphics. It became a general-purpose coprocessor with more than 6 teraflops of performance. I'm saying if Intel bought Nvidia, there wouldn't be AMD graphics cards a decade later.

O_o

basically intel would have a monopoly over the computer market.

Mhk then.

Intel being a third contender would make the market really interesting to say the least.

Yes, we still have to wait for their R&D department to create these things though. So at the moment it's only a scary nudge. :D

It's a lot more than a nudge. It's a threat saying: you stay out of the server/supercomputer world or so help us we'll take your last refuge: PC gamers.

It's a lot more than a nudge. It's a threat saying: you stay out of the server/supercomputer world or so help us we'll take your last refuge: PC gamers.

"scary" nudge. :P

It'll at least give AMD enough time to come up with something. Or they'll have to spend their remaining money to help them survive in a niche market.

hey :D i still remember when green boys "shut down" the AMD stream (and this is not in the same level by the way)

and we don't cry like "the green boys do" now for a RED shirt :lol: lol

2013%200915%20033.png?psid=1

(and who is that guy with the cell phone, looks soo suspicious lol)  :rolleyes: (this part is a joke by the way)

I hope they do crash it, I want to join them too!

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

one thing that might happen if amd succeeds is that NVidia might sue amd

Why? All they'd be doing is going there with a t-shirt provided by another company. Nothing illegal.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I see a flashmob incoming ^^

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Proud to be #TeamRed

Yea... This is a little childish IMHO. Just release competitive GPU's and be done with it. 

What better to get gamers pumped than a little competition?

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

What better to get gamers pumped than a little competition?

Better OpenGL Drivers. :)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q