AMD Wants To Crash Nvidia's GTX 980 & 970 Launch Party

Won't be surprised if the Red shirts get kicked out, or refused entry. Wouldn't blame them either.

What would be even funnier is if they drop a card thats cheaper and way more powerful than the treasured r9 290x..... just see a bunch of red shirts slowly come off and get thrown in the trash.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure they could do that and the backlash would be insane. They can't change what they're going to announce so soon to the conference. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Won't be surprised if the Red shirts get kicked out, or refused entry. Wouldn't blame them either.

What would be even funnier is if they drop a card thats cheaper and way more powerful than the treasured r9 290x..... just see a bunch of red shirts slowly come off and get thrown in the trash.

More powerful and cheaper than 290x? Wont happen. They already said they would be raising the price of their cards. I dont know why people think they will be cheaper.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I wish I could go for the tshirt.  I have an nvidia one from PAX last year but i'm decidedly light on AMD swag.  Which sucks because I like them too!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

As much as I like Nvidia, they really need to step up performance wise. Just have the 980 be 10% better than the 780Ti. Then release a ridiculous 980Ti if AMD comes back. If Nvidia wants to have their prices as high as they are, they're going to need to really throw out a good card.

Nope, from a monetary standpoint higher performance isn't the prime factor right now. It's wattage and temps. Nvdia needs to make a Tesla as power efficient as a Xeon Phi if it wants to keep its cards relevant in the server world, and Nvidia is going up against Haswell architecture in the upcoming Knight's Landing chips and cards.

If gamers were a large enough crowd to make it monetarily reasonable for nvidia to care, it would.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

More powerful and cheaper than 290x? Wont happen. They already said they would be raising the price of their cards. I dont know why people think they will be cheaper.

Um, that is not what Nvidia said. It said Maxwell would be cheaper to produce, but that the average price ALL CONSUMERS pay towards a GPU has room to increase. Currently that price is about $340. The average has a lot of room to grow just to reach the 290X, let alone the 780/TI.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Um, that is not what Nvidia said. It said Maxwell would be cheaper to produce, but that the average price ALL CONSUMERS pay towards a GPU has room to increase. Currently that price is about $340. The average has a lot of room to grow just to reach the 290X, let alone the 780/TI.

Lol so they are saying there is room to increase the average price and you dont think they will?

Lol so they are saying there is room to increase the average price and you dont think they will?

Nvidia isn't stupid. It wants to sell more cards, and that involves trying to be cost competitive against AMD in the consumer market, but Nvidia's statements by no means imply their prices will rise. In fact, lowering prices encourages those in the middle tier to just reach a little less than before and go after the big guns. If a $600 model now sells for $500, then the guy who thought he'd stop at $425 might reconsider. 

It's the same argument as lowering tax rates to invite more companies to sprout up and foreign investment to flood into a state or country, which actually increases revenues.

Looking forward to seeing advanced microtrolling devices in action, lol.

But that's no fun !

Plus AMD has always thrown gaffes at Nvidia even during the ATi days.

It's funny, because now AMD is the people with super hot cards.

༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ GIB 960 ༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ

Be awesome if they both release their flagships at the same time. That will get mental.

I'd love that. No months of getting ripped off while there's only one flagship around before the price drops when the other is released. Both companies giving me a reason to buy their GPU

I dunno. They said the average price has gone up, not the maximum. That, to me, sounds like the median purchase has moved from, say, the 750 to the 760. So the prices haven't changed, but more people are buying the more expensive product.

It's funny, because now AMD is the people with super hot cards.

They're also the ones with the fastest graphics card in the world 295X2 anyone ? and it costs 3 times less than Nvidia's pathetic Titan Z.

They're also the ones with the fastest graphics card in the world 295X2 anyone ? and it costs 3 times less than Nvidia's pathetic Titan Z.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with that dude. I was just saying their cards run hot.

I go with whatever manufacturer I feel give me the performance and options that I am willing to pay for.

༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ GIB 960 ༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ

one thing that might happen if amd succeeds is that NVidia might sue amd

What are they going to sue for? Asking people to attend their event in specific clothing? America's judicial system is truly fucked up if that can happen.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

What are they going to sue for? Asking people to attend their event in specific clothing? America's judicial system is truly fucked up if that can happen.

Idk maybe they can claim loss of sales by interrupting a product launch event.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

AMD cannot be held liable for you dressing up in a red spider man shirt and going to Game24. Nvidia would have to sue the very own customers they are marketing to which obviously wouldn't work since it would backfire in the court room once someone claims prejudice.

The Titan Z can simulate and render simultaneously. 2 Titan Zs have enough cores between them to simulate Google Brain. The Titan Z has unlocked double precision. The 295x2 requires a damn liquid cooler to compete against the Titan Z.

What if they release 390x. And they bring one to event. And they live benchmark them. And AMD wins :o

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The Titan Z can simulate and render simultaneously. 2 Titan Zs have enough cores between them to simulate Google Brain. The Titan Z has unlocked double precision. The 295x2 requires a damn liquid cooler to compete against the Titan Z.

Could buy multiple liquid coolers with the money you save buying the 295x2.......

What if they release 390x. And they bring one to event. And they live benchmark them. And AMD wins :o

Too bad that'll never happen.

Too bad that'll never happen.

LEL.

295x2 and Titan Z?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Make it fair, remove the water cooler. ;)

It is fair

Stock design vs stock design. AMD just happened to have a better design.

It is fair

Stock design vs stock design. AMD just happened to have a better design.

No, it's not. They needed to go with water cooling otherwise their card would throttle worse than the Z.

All AMD is doing is asking people to wear red shirts, if that ever goes to court and the judge doesn't throw it out immediately there is something wrong.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

No, it's not. They needed to go with water cooling otherwise their card would throttle worse than the Z.

No, they just had a better design. It doesn't matter. It may run hot, but they had a good design to fix it.