AMD Wants To Crash Nvidia's GTX 980 & 970 Launch Party

No, they just had a better design. It doesn't matter. It may run hot, but they had a good design to fix it.

*facedesk*

Put the Z under water and it'll beat the 295X2. Having two different designs and putting them head to head does not make it fair.

It's like putting two cars in a drag race and one has mud grippers and the other having track slicks.

No, they just had a better design. It doesn't matter. It may run hot, but they had a good design to fix it.

There should never be the need to design a liquid cooling solution to run a card at stock. That's a failure in architecture, end of story.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There should never be the need to design a liquid cooling solution to run a card at stock. That's a failure in architecture, end of story.

We're not talking about architecture. Just cooling.

*facedesk*

Put the Z under water and it'll beat the 295X2. Having two different designs and putting them head to head does not make it fair.

It's like putting two cars in a drag race and one has mud grippers and the other having track slicks.

That may be true, but at stock, out of the box, r9 295x2 wins.

If 2 different designs made to accomplish the same goal are put head to head. It's fair.

For the record I'm not an AMD fanboy.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If 2 different designs made to accomplish the same goal are put head to head. It's fair.

For the record I'm not an AMD fanboy.

No, we are talking about architecture and that's what matters. AMD had to choose better cooling because their chips are shit. My analogy still stands true. It's not a fair comparison. 

Thank you.

Plot twist - Intel asks everyone to wear blue

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Plot twist - Intel asks everyone to wear blue

You're late to the party on that idea.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, we are talking about architecture and that's what matters. AMD had to choose better cooling because their chips are shit. My analogy still stands true. It's not a fair comparison. 

Thank you.

LTT, Thread derailment since whenever it was made!

AMD chips aren't crap, they have a different architecture that is inferior to nvidia, but that doesn't mean they're

shit.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

LTT, Thread derailment since whenever it was made!

AMD chips aren't crap, they have a different architecture that is inferior to nvidia, but that doesn't mean they're

They can't control their temperatures, Nvidia can. AMD isn't able to compete because they're still finding solutions to cool a card that should be quite manageable. It's a shitty architecture, plain and simple. Nvidia performs better at lower wattage.

They can't control their temperatures, Nvidia can. AMD isn't able to compete because they're still finding solutions to cool a card that should be quite manageable. It's a shitty architecture, plain and simple. Nvidia performs better at lower wattage.

Hopefully their new architecture is better. Assuming the cards they are aiming to release soon and not a rebrand

AMD is cheaper. ATM that's the only place they win. And using 512 bit buses(?). IDK if Nvidia has a card that uses it? I know AMD has atleast one.

Hopefully their new architecture is better. Assuming the cards they are aiming to release soon and not a rebrand

AMD is cheaper. ATM that's the only place they win.

Tonga is only a few percent better in power consumption and heat output. Not even close to Nvidia's 50% sadly.

We're not talking about architecture. Just cooling.

It's entirely about architecture. AMD made a dual card so hot it either takes 24 heat pipes with 3 industrial fans (Devil 13 Concept) or a liquid cooler with 2 fans to keep it under 80*C.

Head to head EVGA hydro copper against the 295x2, liquid to liquid, the hydrocopper Z will rip it to pieces. Should Nvidia have invested into a truly full-aluminum shroud and a good fan like a Coolermaster sickle flow? Yes. However, Nvidia still had the better engineered video processor by far.

Tonga is only a few percent better in power consumption and heat output. Not even close to Nvidia's 50% sadly.

Let's hope that Tonga becomes better magically. Other then the choice for good budget stuff, AMD's stuff is falling behind a bit. Hopefully it never comes to a monopoly with Nvidia.

It's entirely about architecture. AMD made a dual card so hot it either takes 24 heat pipes with 3 industrial fans (Devil 13 Concept) or a liquid cooler with 2 fans to keep it under 80*C.

Head to head EVGA hydro copper against the 295x2, liquid to liquid, the hydrocopper Z will rip it to pieces. Should Nvidia have invested into a truly full-aluminum shroud and a good fan like a Coolermaster sickle flow? Yes. However, Nvidia still had the better engineered video processor by far.

Processor yes, cooler, IMO no.

You win a cookie for having the biggest fanboy post in this thread. Congratulations, you can pick up your cookie at the Nvidia launch party but be careful not to ruin your green face paint while you are eating.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

AMD is cheaper. ATM that's the only place they win. And using 512 bit buses(?). IDK if Nvidia has a card that uses it? I know AMD has atleast one.

The only 512-bit buses on Nvidia cards to my knowledge are on quadros and Teslas, or maybe the Titan/Black, and some of their professional/supercomputer cards have a 768-bit bus.

The GTX 980&970 come with dual 256-bit buses. Not quite as fast as a complete 512, but much cheaper to make with only a 10% memory performance hit.

You win a cookie for having the biggest fanboy post in this thread. Congratulations, you can pick up your cookie at the Nvidia launch party but be careful not to ruin your green face paint while you are eating.

After seeing your posts, I'm really not surprised you've posted something as asinine as that.

I favor no one.

The only 512-bit buses on Nvidia cards to my knowledge are on quadros and Teslas, or maybe the Titan/Black, and some of their professional/supercomputer cards have a 768-bit bus.

The GTX 980&970 come with dual 256-bit buses. Not quite as fast as a complete 512, but much cheaper to make with only a 10% memory performance hit.

You mean the cards that are request only :P

10% performance can be a lot. But atleast they're getting there.

Yeah except their memory speeds aren't at 5500Mhz, they can afford the slower bandwidth.

Let's hope that Tonga becomes better magically. Other then the choice for good budget stuff, AMD's stuff is falling behind a bit. Hopefully it never comes to a monopoly with Nvidia.

Processor yes, cooler, IMO no.

To be fair, it's Asetek's cooler, not AMD's.

As per a monopoly, Nvidia is very soon going to be feeling growth pains due to its collapsing Tesla sales against the Xeon Phi and Knight's Landing chips + Phis. Then AMD's Carrizo will launch, bringing with it the ability to hybrid XFire with everything through the 295x2, making the Nvidia platform less and less attractive. This will also depress some of Intel's sales once the hybrid XFire shows its mettle, assuming AMD delivers on its HBM vaporware which is its solution to the memory bandwidth choke point of APU performance.

At this point Intel will do one of three things:

make a short deal to let Nvidia develop x86 APUs for use with Intel sockets to hybrid SLI, all sorts of royalties on sales going to Intel

Increase iGPU strength so that Cannonlake can bash AMD APUs over the head in gaming and compute power.

Offer to buy stakes in Nvidia if not the whole thing.

After seeing your posts, I'm really not surprised you've posted something as asinine as that.

I favor no one.

Oh ya it really shows.........
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

You forget Nvidia has 7000+ MHz memory. If AMD becomes real trouble, they'll pull out a bazooka with the Volta architecture and put AMD back in its place.

Also, you can get quadros and Teslas at almost any micro center or from Nvidia/EVGA directly. Nvidia prefers volume shipments obviously, but some professional workstations use Teslas over Quadros.

To be fair, it's Asetek's cooler, not AMD's.

As per a monopoly, Nvidia is very soon going to be feeling growth pains due to its collapsing Tesla sales against the Xeon Phi and Knight's Landing chips + Phis. Then AMD's Carrizo will launch, bringing with it the ability to hybrid XFire with everything through the 295x2, making the Nvidia platform less and less attractive. This will also depress some of Intel's sales once the hybrid XFire shows its mettle, assuming AMD delivers on its HBM vaporware which is its solution to the memory bandwidth choke point of APU performance.

At this point Intel will do one of three things:

make a short deal to let Nvidia develop x86 APUs for use with Intel sockets to hybrid SLI, all sorts of royalties on sales going to Intel

Increase iGPU strength so that Cannonlake can bash AMD APUs over the head in gaming and compute power.

Offer to buy stakes in Nvidia if not the whole thing.

Very interesting insight.

Ignorance blinds you, I only stated facts.

Calling AMD's video architecture shit isn't really true. It's far less efficient, but it is capable of great raw performance.

I doubt Intel will do too much to increase their iGPU to the point it makes AMD need to call their designers and come up with some sort of wizardry. They know it will mess with the market.

Calling AMD's video architecture shit isn't really true. It's far less efficient, but it is capable of great raw performance.

An opinion because of facts, still not entirely wrong. AMD needs to be put under water because their design isn't as good as their competitors. You take a hydro copper Z and bench that, you'll get numbers that run past the 295X2.

Well given Larrabe scared the bejesus out of Nvidia to the point they yanked their GPU intellectual property agreements with Intel, it wouldn't surprise me if Intel leveraged that in a buyout proposal, in addition to its vastly superior fabrication facilities over TSMC and GloFo.