USB 3.1 Type C - Real-Life Pictures

GoodBytes

AnandTech goes hand on, with the new Type C connector which follows the USB 3.1 standard.

The design idea of the Type C connectors (beside being USB 3.1, which is much faster than 3.0, and send significantly more power) is to be more reliable and robust compared to micro-USB and mini-USB plugs currently out, all by being and is reversible.

With USB 3.1, we see a few key improvements. Peak throughput goes from 10 Gbps from 5 Gbps, which translates to a peak of 1.25 GB/sec. In a demo of an early controller with two SSDs attached to the system I saw peak throughput of 833 MB/sec. As a side note, I also saw a demo of wireless USB connectivity from smartphone to laptop and laptop to smartphone, which was definitely pretty cool. Getting back to the USB 3.1 spec, USB Power Delivery 2.0 (PD) makes it possible for USB to supply up to 100 watts, and coexists with the BC 1.2 spec that is used in USB power adapters to charge phones so a single port would be able to provide power for both systems. In addition, USB PD 2.0 allows for power to go both ways without changing the direction of the cable, so a laptop would be able to send and receive power from the same port. Finally, USB Type-C extensions mean that it's possible to do all kinds of interesting applications over USB ports, such as sending audio and video data. It's even possible for a USB Type C port to send PCI-E data through the connection for use cases such as a two in one convertible tablet.

No real-life pictures of it was presented. Only 3D renders. Well 3D renders no more. This is what it looks like:

The USB Type C connector on a PCB and it's cable connected to it:

DSC_7170_678x452.jpg

Some people were concerned that the connector would be too short to hold properly. To me, it looks like it is fine, and while we don't have a side by side comparison, it looks like a mini-USB. What do you guys thing?

DSC_7172.jpg

DSC_7175.jpg

DSC_7174.jpg

USB 3.1 and its Type C connector is expected to be released in 2015.

Type C connector is claimed to have been designed for phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops computers.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8518/hands-on-with-usb-type-c-reversible-usb-connectors

If is going to achieve what it promises then this is may be the next best thing

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Looks just like a lightning connector

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

damn, it looks more tinnier and smaller that the renders, i hope all phone flagship next year use this, since that way it could be more mainstream faster

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Chip on the inside will break easy I bet.

Exactly what I was thinking

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Looks nice, I reckon it'll break from a month of use.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Chip on the inside will break easy I bet.

They had one chance to shamelessly ape/license the Lightning interface but nope, lets continue the issue that microUSB has with a flimsy connector but hey its reversible now so people will go bananas. 

I love lightning cables. Theres nothing to snap off on the device end. You break your cable oh no, thats 5 bucks. You break the USB connector on your phone?

Whoops. 

The lighting connector is very poorly designed. Many needs to buy new cables very often, as the contacts rust or gets damaged. They are not protected like a normal connector. They are fully

exposed.

The goal of Type C is to be more robust. Also, it is not USB standard fault, if your phone manufacture goes with El-cheapo branded connectors. My guess, is that they do this on purpose so that you buy a new phone.

Looks like apple lightning connector really hope its nothing like it tho i have bought easily like 30 replacement cables for my stupid iphone.

Robust reversible connector interface. Looks solid.

No complaints, there must be some flaws compared to larger USB A but can't think of any. Worthy upgrade, hopes it gets implemented soon in modern tech.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I like it, hopefully it's nice an durable as well. 

Guess I might hold off one my new planned build until these are out on motherboards.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

We will probably not see this in products until next year. If they do manage to give it to us this year I'll be impressed.

It feels like I am the only person who has never had any issues with micro USB breaking.

What the hell do you people do with your chargers/cables to break them so often?

I am really looking forward to this.

Is there any word on audio and video out? By that I mean, I think I read that it will support it, but I haven't heard anything about the specs for that (does it use DP, or HDMI or something else, and what resolution does it support).

It feels like I am the only person who has never had any issues with micro USB breaking.

What the hell do you people do with your chargers/cables to break them so often?

I am really looking forward to this.

Is there any word on audio and video out? By that I mean, I think I read that it will support it, but I haven't heard anything about the specs for that (does it use DP, or HDMI or something else, and what resolution does it support).

I haven't broken mine yet :).

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

They had one chance to shamelessly ape/license the Lightning interface but nope, lets continue the issue that microUSB has with a flimsy connector but hey its reversible now so people will go bananas. 

I love lightning cables. Theres nothing to snap off on the device end. You break your cable oh no, thats 5 bucks. You break the USB connector on your phone?

Whoops. 

could you show me this 5$ lightning cable please ? And I'm sure that Lightning cables have a socket to plug into on the phone side of thing. Apple is great and all but even they can't defy the law of Physic and commonsense electronic manufacturing 

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

could you show me this 5$ lightning cable please ? And I'm sure that Lightning cables have a socket to plug into on the phone side of thing. Apple is great and all but even they can't defy the law of Physic and commonsense electronic manufacturing 

See that? 

lightning-connector.png

Cable has the prong, goes into the phone. The phone connector has contacts on top and bottom, but no piece in the middle. Nothing to really break on the phone side in norma use unless you do weird stuff with your phone connector. 

http://www.amazon.com/KT-Accessories-Quality-Compatible-Version/dp/B00M9NK27M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1410447029&sr=8-15&keywords=lightning+cable Okay, its 5.85. Sorry, that 85 cents is killer I know. 

I get that the USB type C would be really useful and all...

But is micro-USB seriously that weak? I've never broken any USB port / USB cable in my life, and I have no trouble plugging a micro USB cable to my phone in dark while succeeding on the first try (most of the time, that is). It can be felt, it's not that difficult to do (unless you'd be wearing gloves)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

See that? 

lightning-connector.png

Cable has the prong, goes into the phone. The phone connector has contacts on top and bottom, but no piece in the middle. Nothing to really break on the phone side in norma use unless you do weird stuff with your phone connector. 

http://www.amazon.com/KT-Accessories-Quality-Compatible-Version/dp/B00M9NK27M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1410447029&sr=8-15&keywords=lightning+cable Okay, its 5.85. Sorry, that 85 cents is killer I know.

Check Apple own site reviews

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable?fnode=e2031c5344868cde6005b46d5a9e56f620cc68cf4b219670f153cfbd82b757e903b0067180185b842636ba05f61bfd25272a011892ea92ab5a9ecaedd0542a0c123a0cdf63c377d84dfada941041d42be8dbac2e837cbb9c25f2b6e78c41a69c8c72657b340150c0422176eb724cea70

1612 reviews, and the massive majority of people say it sucks

Check Apple own site reviews

1612 reviews, and the massive majority of people say it sucks

Dunno how people break them, 5 people in my family, all have iPhones, 0 broken cables

Half my friends have iPhones...0 broken cables

Only person I know who replaced a cable was because he trapped it in a car door and it cut the cable in the middle of the wire

Same as micro USB, I have only ever broken one in my whole life and it was because I ran over it in my chair and the end broke >< 

EDIT: BTW most apple cables break because of the cable not because of the lightning end, the actually connector is incredibly tough, but because ts small people pull the charger out by the cable, and the part where the cable connects to the lightning tip breaks

The actually connector tip is great

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii