USB 3.1 Type C - Real-Life Pictures

GoodBytes

I'm really interested in what manufacturer will be able to accomplish by the 100 Watts this will allow. Could we see single wire monitors and instead have the PC using two AC wire connected to two different plugs that would power all the harware. Promising future!

Only One Connector for all the devices with Reversablity thats nice and waiting to see what it can does.......... :)  :)

It feels like I am the only person who has never had any issues with micro USB breaking.

What the hell do you people do with your chargers/cables to break them so often?

I am really looking forward to this.

Is there any word on audio and video out? By that I mean, I think I read that it will support it, but I haven't heard anything about the specs for that (does it use DP, or HDMI or something else, and what resolution does it support).

I never broke one either but others may act gorrillas with theirs xD

The size makes me a bit nervous... it looks micro USB-esque.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Looks okay to me.. but I hope the connectors for it isn't expensive.

I haven't had much issues with micro usb, except for a few cheap cables that broke, otherwise most of them are still working

lightning-120921-2.jpgpicture-42.png

Does anybody see the differences in building materials

The microUSB has a metal shell with plastic core and plastic everywhere else. The metal is already bent to the connector shape

The Lightning connector has a metal shell with plastic core and metal behind to prevent bending. The connector has metal poured or an outside protective ring

Do you think this ripOFF is as good as the original 

350x700px-LL-297abac4_DSC_0770.jpeg

Hmm, one issue I might have with its size is, just how thick with the actual cable and shielding be?

USB3.0 interferes with wifi and bluetooth signals if the cable isn't shielded very well. Due to the apparently size of the 3.1, it might be an issue.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Unpopular opinion here: I've never had a problem with microUSB... I don't know why everyone says that it's so fragile... I recharge my phone daily like everyone else and never had a problem with all the devices I owned over the years, and as far as I know neither did any of my friends... Maybe it's just luck or maybe I know how fragile electronic is these days and I treat it accordingly... Regarding type C if the costs stay close to type B I say more bandwidth is always welcome!

Chip on the inside will break easy I bet.

That, and there doesn't seem to be any sort of locking mechanism (unlike micro-USB)

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Unpopular opinion here: I've never had a problem with microUSB... I don't know why everyone says that it's so fragile... I recharge my phone daily like everyone else and never had a problem with all the devices I owned over the years, and as far as I know neither did any of my friends... Maybe it's just luck or maybe I know how fragile electronic is these days and I treat it accordingly... Regarding type C if the costs stay close to type B I say more bandwidth is always welcome!

generally the stock (Micro-USB) connector that comes with every device ever has broken on most people, myself included. It's very easy to bend the connector especially when it's inserted in the device. Sometimes just operating the device while connected can cause the connector on the cable to bend. Cheaper micro-USB cables are more obvious than the other USB connection types because they are frail to begin with, and using cheap material is more obvious.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

It feels like I am the only person who has never had any issues with micro USB breaking.

What the hell do you people do with your chargers/cables to break them so often?

I am really looking forward to this.

Is there any word on audio and video out? By that I mean, I think I read that it will support it, but I haven't heard anything about the specs for that (does it use DP, or HDMI or something else, and what resolution does it support).

sweet jesus I know right? I drop my stuff while min-usb is plugged in I bump in to stuff that disconnects the mini-usb. I've never had them break. 

generally the stock (Micro-USB) connector that comes with every device ever has broken on most people, myself included. It's very easy to bend the connector especially when it's inserted in the device. Sometimes just operating the device while connected can cause the connector on the cable to bend. Cheaper micro-USB cables are more obvious than the other USB connection types because they are frail to begin with, and using cheap material is more obvious.

I'd like to see some data on that, because I do not know anyone who have had theirs broke (except the stupid old dock connector for their Apple devices. Those broke all the time).

Micro USB isn't frail. it's not easy to bend the connector. I can dangle my phone off the edge of my charging cable without an issue.

Bending the metal on the connector of the cable is not easy; I can't even do it on purpose using my old dead phone and a spare cable. Cheap micro USB cables, cheap lightning cables - the clue is in the name.

Operating the device normally cannot bend the metal. The plastic inside the female connector rigidly supports the male connector.

I don't know who you think you are to make these claims against an industry standard (for a reason, don't you think?) without citing any sources, but seriously dude.

Theres a difference between stating your opinion (i think they break more often) and claiming a fact (they break more often, i say so).

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

I've broken USB micros before, any increased robustness is definitely welcome. It really doesn't take all that much to wrench one of those tiny things, not as frail as some people seem to think but hardly sturdy. If I'm plugging things into the back and sides of my PC or laptop I'd like to feel okay about putting SOME strain on there consistently.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Micro USB isn't frail. it's not easy to bend the connector. I can dangle my phone off the edge of my charging cable without an issue.

Bending the metal on the connector of the cable is not easy; I can't even do it on purpose using my old dead phone and a spare cable. Cheap micro USB cables, cheap lightning cables - the clue is in the name.

Operating the device normally cannot bend the metal. The plastic inside the female connector rigidly supports the male connector.

I don't know who you think you are to make these claims against an industry standard (for a reason, don't you think?) without citing any sources, but seriously dude.

Theres a difference between stating your opinion (i think they break more often) and claiming a fact (they break more often, i say so).

It's more like statistics. In my experience, many people claim to have had a lot of problems with microUSB compared to other connectors like A, and the other B variants. In that regard, it's much more frail. I'd love to see someone make a poll/chart of people who've broken their connectors compared to other connector types.

So it's not just my opinion, it's my experience and the experience of others I've come in contact with.

It's more like statistics. In my experience, many people claim to have had a lot of problems with microUSB compared to other connectors like A, and the other B variants. In that regard, it's much more frail. I'd love to see someone make a poll/chart of people who've broken their connectors compared to other connector types.

So it's not just my opinion, it's my experience and the experience of others I've come in contact with.

Your opinion is shaped by your experience and experience with others, but it remains your opinion and nothing more.

I know one person other than myself who has owned an iPod touch with a 30 pin connector. My connector on the iPhone itself broke, and about a month later so did his. That is mine and others' experience with those iPod touches. Would it be fair to say that they break more often than micro USB? No, it certainly wouldn't. You need a proper poll and statistical analysis to come to that conclusion, and i have found none. If i said that i think they break more often, that's my opinion and it remains an opinion, as does yours.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

It looks so fragile. Maybe thats just the size. I bet it'll be fine. As mentioned above, it looks like a lightning cable, which has been durable, at least for me.

Not very excited about this new standard though, since I don't use any USB devices that needs a lot of bandwidth, but it will be good just in general. Improvements give room for more improvements

Your opinion is shaped by your experience and experience with others, but it remains your opinion and nothing more.

I know one person other than myself who has owned an iPod touch with a 30 pin connector. My connector on the iPhone itself broke, and about a month later so did his. That is mine and others' experience with those iPod touches. Would it be fair to say that they break more often than micro USB? No, it certainly wouldn't. You need a proper poll and statistical analysis to come to that conclusion, and i have found none. If i said that i think they break more often, that's my opinion and it remains an opinion, as does yours.

It's far more than just my opinion if a majority of people think it is so (Through forums/social media & in person). If I went around and asked everyone I came into contact with if they have had their micro-USB cable break on them, that's the same thing as a poll. In my experience (including myself in this poll) and the experience of others I have come in contact with (other people polled) I would say (based on the people's answers) that more often than not, micro-USB is a shitty connection. This might be a very small and limited sample size compared what I would expect but none-the-less, it gives a decent representation. Your example however is only 2 people and has the potential to be wildly inaccurate.

But you're right, you do need a proper poll and statistical analysis to come to a more concrete conclusion, as I've also said :)

It's far more than just my opinion if a majority of people think it is so (Through forums/social media & in person). If I went around and asked everyone I came into contact with if they have had their micro-USB cable break on them, that's the same thing as a poll. In my experience (including myself in this poll) and the experience of others I have come in contact with (other people polled) I would say (based on the people's answers) that more often than not, micro-USB is a shitty connection. This might be a very small and limited sample size compared what I would expect but none-the-less, it gives a decent representation. Your example however is only 2 people and has the potential to be wildly inaccurate.

But you're right, you do need a proper poll and statistical analysis to come to a more concrete conclusion, as I've also said :)

No, i think you have misunderstood my point, maybe i worded it badly.

You are one guy on the internet saying something without citation. Hence, it is an opinion.

By the definition:

a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It is your view/judgement that they break often based on your experiences and others, but it is not objective fact. You did not cite any sources.

Hope that makes it clearer.

This looks really nice, but I do question the toughness of that...