‘Abusive users’ to blame for slow Internet

Monchi

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2014/09/04/abusive-users-blame-slow-internet-363553

hey guys~ Monchi here from the philippines bringing you probrably the rarest tech news coming out from my country :D

what do you guys think? is it really our fault that we abuse our 2-3mbps internet speed, worth 25$ a month, with streaming and downloading? and how can fibr make it any better? 98% wirings here are copper tangled up on the electric poles, it's like trying to drain a damn with a common house funnel. :P

20071008_ManilaPhoneWires1A.JPG

Oh my that is just horrid!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Dat feels... Also from PH here...

Rather than 'abusive users'

I can blame this on infrastructure....

They're shoehorning 'WiMax' down the throats of consumers...

From personal experience:

They're overselling connections... I live in a high-density area... They keep selling the connections for WiMax even though the tower in the area is already 95% congested...

Connections are optimal for this type at 75%... At that point everyone can get a stable 2Mbps connection over WiMax...

I'm lucky I got to keep the copper lines but I pay ~25USD monthly for a 2Mbps connection....

Always feel bad for the people that are in PH, been there a couple of times... I feel the pain. It made me realize not to bitch about my 8ish mbps, even though I have to share with 7 other people :/

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

That telephone pole must feel abused.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A few hundred of these would pretty much solve the problem but the ISPs are probably so corrupt nothing will ever happen.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Yeah, it's the user's fault for using the bandwidth that they pay for.

/s

That city needs some cable-management 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

EA is to blame for making 50GB games.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Dayummmmmm, That telephone pole

Soon it's gonna be like this and Wipe people's phones due to the strong electro magnetic Currents.

20130424133447-3.jpg

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

A few hundred of these would pretty much solve the problem but the ISPs are probably so corrupt nothing will ever happen.

That's cheaper than Fiber but That really won't work unless you use not 5 gigahertz. it should use a high frequency like 25 gigahertz for minimum interference and 10+ Gbps speeds.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

That's cheaper than Fiber but That really won't work unless you use not 5 gigahertz. it should use a high frequency like 25 gigahertz for minimum interference and 10+ Gbps speeds.

It's the higher 5GHz band which doesn't have that much interference, they make 24GHz models but because the spectrum above 10GHz has such strict regulations on channeling/channel width it's impossible to legally achieve throughput greater than 2Gbps above 10GHz unless your in Antarctica.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

To a degree. You'd run into issues of crosstalk though. 

The easiest thing would be to just rip the old copper lines, replace with fiber and then salvage the copper and sell it. Any telecom that would do this could generate about 60% of the cost of laying the fiber lines. And that would be for the entire country. Not only that but at the same point in time they could build points of redundancy for many things and upgrade server network infrastructure throughout. This would do nothing but increase their gross worth as a company even in the short term.

I've said this one and I'll say it again.

If you can't handle 100% usage from all your customers on your network, 24/7, then you're unfit to be a ISP and I highly recommend you either stop being a whining prick and either deal with it or upgrade your infrastructure. I pay YOU to upgrade your service so we all benefit for cheap and fast connections. I don't pay you to sit around and complain. If we had faster speeds, there would be less congestion due to downloading everything and anything in mere seconds instead of days.

I've said this one and I'll say it again.

If you can't handle 100% usage from all your customers on your network, 24/7, then you're unfit to be a ISP and I highly recommend you either stop being a whining prick and either deal with it or upgrade your infrastructure. I pay YOU to upgrade your service so we all benefit for cheap and fast connections. I don't pay you to sit around and complain. If we had faster speeds, there would be less congestion due to downloading everything and anything in mere seconds instead of days.

Tell that to them and they'll pull a comcast on you...

Tell that to them and they'll pull a comcast on you...

Too bad Comcast isn't available in my area! I have a AT&T Business connection and even though I keep hearing crap about how AT&T sucks, I can fully utilize my 45d,5u connection 24/7, with little to no hiccups. It sucks I need a business account to have no cap, but if I am going to utilize my connection, I will damnit, at a reasonable price. That's why I hope Google Fiber comes to my city(or area) so AT&T is forced to compete, just like in Austin, Texas.

I think that actually looks really cool the first pic and while it may not be the greatest atleast it isnt as bad as Australia id consider it lucky lol.

post-1006-0-72756600-1409814357.jpg

post-1006-0-90123300-1409814387.jpg

post-1006-0-04849400-1409814408.jpg

I think that actually looks really cool the first pic and while it may not be the greatest atleast it isnt as bad as Australia id consider it lucky lol.

attachicon.giftelstra-copper.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gifbg_Telstra_copper_1-20131120153953701572-620x414.jpg

What the actual f*ck!?

Now apply Kirchoff's law.

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120

That city needs some cable-management 

no management holes 

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

no management holes

Lol they need rubber grommets everywhere

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120

What the heck fiber cost is cheaper than UTp in my country the guy that installed mine told me, and i have a paper sheet with the costs too this is stupid.

They all need ASAP laws to make TV/Phone/Net on fiber,better services,less uglyness and mess on poles, better everything.

Guys take my advice whenever you find a company in your area trying to install fiber FTTB or FTTH if you can afford DONT HESITATE and be the first to sign up for it,we just cant have these old idiotic UTP+ TV + Phone cables everywhere,and sucky services.