AMD Radeon R9 295X2 price goes down, makes Titan-Z look like a joke to gamers

Bloodyvalley

Think of it as an academic research tool/toy (hence the price tag). What other card in the world can simultaneously simulate physics and render it in real time? It's a bleeding-edge technology that was designed for things way beyond gaming. It's a dual-quadro without ECC basically.

Yes TitanZ has its uses in which it is a top performer but R9 295x2 is a gaming card and it is the only dual GPU of this generation from AMD and then on the other hand we have TitanZ which is not a gaming card but it was advertised as one and it is the only dual GPU from NVIDIA of this generation... now when you want to compare R9 295x2 to TitanZ then you compare gaming performance because majority of people that are interested in these cards are gamers not editors/developers.

titan z price now is 1400$

No it's not. Not even the OEM price cut is that low.

You say this, but 2/3 of all phones I see on a daily basis are apple, and 1/2 of all the laptops I see are apple.

Their leadership may be done, but their ID is king, and they have a very large following.

Really? Where I live I see fewer and fewer.

Unless I peer into a coffee shop. Then they're all over the place. Hipsters.

Their phone market share is falling against Samsung and LG as well as Nexus. They're done unless the iPhone 6 leaks have all been B.S..

Haha, yup. I can't believe they lost 10 points in the US this quarter. I can see them gaining maybe half back with the new phone launch, but that's still a big loss in their most important market.

It isn't. It's the single most powerful consumer GPU on the market. It has better double precision performance than anything outside the Tesla/FirePro lines, it can simulate and render simultaneously in real time, and it can also game. It wasn't meant to be a gaming card, but Nvidia will always go after more market share if it can. Quadros aren't great at gaming, but they're not jokes are they? This is the halfway point between a standard Geforce and a Quadro. Speaking of which, the Quadro version of the Titan Z costs a whopping $11,400.

Quadros are expensive because they're targeted to businesses. Large businesses. They can easily stomach the huge cost, and honestly don't even really look at it.

So, in reality the margins on those cards are huge.

It's kind of like comparing a Porsche 911, to a Porsche 911 GT1 used for racing. Both 911's, one modified and priced insanely due to its use and buyer.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yes TitanZ has its uses in which it is a top performer but R9 295x2 is a gaming card and it is the only dual GPU of this generation from AMD and then on the other hand we have TitanZ which is not a gaming card but it was advertised as one and it is the only dual GPU from NVIDIA of this generation... now when you want to compare R9 295x2 to TitanZ then you compare gaming performance because majority of people that are interested in these cards are gamers not editors/developers.

facepalm* The biggest buyers of the Titan Z are universities. They're not comparable cards and the 790 is coming.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

facepalm* The biggest buyers of the Titan Z are universities. They're not comparable cards and the 790 is coming.

Source?

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

Source?

As per the Z and universities, talking to professors and friends from numerous computer science departments. MIT bought 200 for its big supercomputer. RIT bought 50, my little school has 10 of them. Most gamers aren't that rich and workstation/business people need ECC which the Titan Z lacks without a lot of bios editing.

As per the 790, because every generation has a locked dual card. The Titan Z isn't locked.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

As per the Z and universities, talking to professors and friends from numerous computer science departments. MIT bought 200 for its big supercomputer. RIT bought 50, my little school has 10 of them. Most gamers aren't that rich and workstation/business people need ECC which the Titan Z lacks without a lot of bios editing.

As per the 790, because every generation has a locked dual card. The Titan Z isn't locked.

I only asked for the 790, I knew these cards were used for research already.

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

Might have to upgrade from the 7990. I'd buy one for a thousand. Not 1500 though. 

I only asked for the 790, I knew these cards were used for research already.

I couldn't tell what you wanted a source on :P

Facepalm on what? You totally missed point of what I said.

For the last time. When gamer wants dial GPU for his PC he got 2 options. TitanZ or R9 295x2. YES I know that TitanZ is not a gaming card but it was advertised s one! And we are comparing R9 295x2 to TitanZ so we are looking on gaming performance and not computing performance so R9 295x2 clearly wins as a choice for gamers. Why do you start saying that some university is buying TitanZ for workload is beyond me because that is not point of this topic... Gaming is.

Literally the only people saying this are white knights. And I mean literally. Not even Nvidia says this.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-z talks about both compute performance for researchers and gaming. 

The TITAN Z isn't the only option for a dual-GPU gaming setup, you can get similar gaming performance from 780 Ti SLI. Nvidia probably doesn't even need to launch a GTX 790 to stay competitive. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

What Nvidia was trying to tell us was that, "WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?" compute + gaming performance both at the same time.. not all of us are full time gamers, some of us do kinds of stuffs like architechtural rendering or what..c

clearly AMD wins the overall gamers side with its price to performance ratio since Titan Z is marketed as a gaming card but look at the brighter side for me, for us renderers at the same time gamers clearly Titan Z is a good to go card compared to workstation cards

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R

Facepalm on what? You totally missed point of what I said.

For the last time. When gamer wants dial GPU for his PC he got 2 options. TitanZ or R9 295x2. YES I know that TitanZ is not a gaming card but it was advertised s one! And we are comparing R9 295x2 to TitanZ so we are looking on gaming performance and not computing performance so R9 295x2 clearly wins as a choice for gamers. Why do you start saying that some university is buying TitanZ for workload is beyond me because that is not point of this topic... Gaming is.

690 is still very viable. What isn't viable is people bringing up the Titan Z as a gaming card.

What Nvidia was trying to tell us was that, "WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?" compute + gaming performance both at the same time.. not all of us are full time gamers, some of us do kinds of stuffs like architechtural rendering or what..c

clearly AMD wins the overall gamers side with its price to performance ratio since Titan Z is marketed as a gaming card but look at the brighter side for me, for us renderers at the same time gamers clearly Titan Z is a good to go card compared to workstation cards

Assuming you're not doing character rendering on a very geometrically-expensive model with rich textures. Render errors on non-ECC cards turn ugly very fast.

IMO, if the R9 295X2 is going to be sold at $1000, it will be a no brainer for gamers to pick this over 290X Crossfire, 780SLI or even 780Ti SLI for pure gaming. 290 Crossfire is probably a closest thing that people would do to save $200-250.

Titan Z and all titan cards have always been focused as a workstation card over gaming card, but because it's based on GeForce chip, Nvidia also promotes this card as a gaming card. 

There are four conditions that i think why people would still spend more money for the titan Z over 295X2:

1. CUDA acceleration
  2. Double Precision technology
  3. G-Sync (I know FreeSync will be out soon, BUT G-Sync is out in the market now and some people just won't wait)
  4. Nvidia Fanboy

Assuming you're not doing character rendering on a very geometrically-expensive model with rich textures. Render errors on non-ECC cards turn ugly very fast.

Agreed.. that's why Nvidia is a must have card for both aspects that's what im saying.. expensive? yes.. but i'll say its worth the price for gaming and work usage

Gaming goes to 295x2 for tight? or lets say for those who wanted maximum performance for their current budget.. since end users won't be able to buy such massive cards if they don't have such resources to start with.

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R

Too bad it will still be $1500 in Australia. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

690 is still very viable. What isn't viable is people bringing up the Titan Z as a gaming card.

GTX 690 vs 7990

R9 295x2 vs TitanZ

I still have no idea, why people would consider the Titan Z over the R9 295X2. 

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I still have no idea, why people would consider the Titan Z over the R9 295X2. 

For gaming yeah, total waste of money. For live rendering on the other hand titan z demolishes the r9 into a pile of dust. Honestly, Nvidia is so much better for live rendering that you honestly couldn't pay me to replace my dual 760s for a 295x2. That's how bad AMD is for live rendering. Nvidia is better than AMD with 3d modeling and rendering in the same way AMD is with bit coin.

For gaming yeah, total waste of money. For live rendering on the other hand titan z demolishes the r9 into a pile of dust. Honestly, Nvidia is so much better for live rendering that you honestly couldn't pay me to replace my dual 760s for a 295x2. That's how bad AMD is for live rendering. Nvidia is better than AMD with 3d modeling and rendering in the same way AMD is with bit coin.

http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2014/04/26/opencl-vs-cuda-adobe-premiere-cc-rendering-test/

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

"The Titan Z isn't a gaming card! No, no, no, Nvidia doesn't market it as that, why would they do that? It's not a gaming card!"

Stop defending them. If Nvidia markets it as a gaming card, they designed it for gaming.

https://i.imgur.com/7ExFGay.jpg (dat url, amirite?)

7ExFGay.jpg

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

-snip-

yes it is marketed as a gaming card... we all get your point sir but we should also consider that it can do much more than gaming....

Um,  pardon me for pointing out the fucking obvious, but the Titan has always been a joke for gamers, especially ones who have a budget that need to keep. I have yet to see anyone on LTT actually say the titan is good value for a gaming card. Even the hardcore Nvidia fanboys know it's excessively priced when you can get adequate performance from a 290/780ti for much less.   But I see that doesn't stop  people trying to make it's existence illegitimate.  Got an insecurity maybe? People are just going to have to accept that it IS a gaming card.  Always has been and always will.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.