AMD Radeon R9 295X2 price goes down, makes Titan-Z look like a joke to gamers

Bloodyvalley

I know my Titan is worth more than $3000

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Hmm i can't say much about this statement.. but i have to agree and to disagree at the same time..

• We could say that Future Games / Application could be hardware demanding

- APU's will be powerful enough to power them up

- Nvidia MIGHT catch up with AMD's APU, meaning they'll invent APU of their own version or something i dunno

• Chips or Components will much cheaper since newer technology or materials are being used to create these. so we could say that components will be much more affordable that way end users could have high end gaming pc's.. still im just assuming

so i dunno who will dominate the future.. We could also include Intel since they're making their move on creating their iGPU's more and more powerful...

AMD's APU's already outperform the lowest end discrete graphics cards. The relative performance to discrete cards will only improve. The further it improves, the more of the lowend discrete gpu markets, gets captured.

One thing that makes PS4 an amazing machine, is that the APU (CPU/GPU) shares the QDDR5 ram as shared system and vram memory, using HSA. Now QDDR5 afaik needs to be soldered specifically to the processor, which is why we cannot get QDDR5 ram sticks to upgrade.

Now try this on for size:

In 5+ years when, lets say 3D stacked ram, (could be a proper alternative to both DDR4 and QDDR5) is out. Imagine an AMD motherboard with 2 sockets: 1 for an AMD CPU (or apu), and 1 socket for an AMD GPU core (like CPU's are today). Buy one board, 1 cpu, 1 gpu core, then 3d Stacked ram modules, and have them all work together sharing the RAM (like the ps4). Thus, the GPU core can be utilized for heavy floating point operations, the CPU focused on integer, and with shared memory, you won't run out of VRAM like you do with Nvidia atm, and you won't have excessive amounts of system ram not doing anything. You could also use an APU, where the integrated GPU does the hard floating point with HSA (like it does now), and then use crossfire with the integrated GPU and the external socket GPU. Heck HSA could even use both GPU's for floating point.

AMD, with new memory tech, can essentially eliminate the discrete graphics card, at least on AMD platforms. You might get an AIO water cooler, that covers both CPU and GPU (hardly any need for custom water cooling then).

AMD could even release an extra pci-e PCB with just a GPU socket and VRM on it, that can auto crossfire and share the exact same shared memory ressource the CPU/APU and External GPU does. No need for redundant vram, like today on xfire and sli.

(Hey AMD, I finish my Masters degree soon, hire me!)

Intel has already denied Nvidia access to x86 instructions and other necessary standards to make a CPU. However Nvidia does seem to look at ARM, but who knows if ARM can replace x86 CPU's. Maybe, maybe not. Right now, it's highly doubtful.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

-snip-

I can see what you're pointing out sir.. what i mean is we can't be certain on such things that still doesn't exist or maybe it does, but still we still have no idea how everything would turn out.... thus we could only wait when the right time comes and we can't be so sure on what this companies are planning..

• Wait

• Predict

• Assume

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R

I can see what you're pointing out sir.. what i mean is we can't be certain on such things that still doesn't exist or maybe it does, but still we still have no idea how everything would turn out.... thus we could only wait when the right time comes and we can't be so sure on what this companies are planning..

• Wait

• Predict

• Assume

Oh yeah, pure speculation from my side. But I do study markets and try to look at future tendancies and possibilities. Disruptive market strategy is really interesting :D

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This. 

So many children here think its only one brand or another and that you NEED to hate everything else that everyone else makes. 

I think AMD makes stupid decisions, I think AMD also has some cheaper cards (280s for 200...hells yea) and I think Nvidia has better software and drivers, I think EVGA has better warranty and CS (sadly I've had to use it, but its been a great process) and I think that you need to balance the views. 

The 295x2 is gaming and nothing else. The Titan Z is rendering and gaming at once, Nvidia wasn't playing around with this card. Is it overpriced? Sure, according to 12 year olds who wouldn't buy one. Just like the 295x2. Who the hell is paying 1500 on a GPU? Enthusiasts. Thats who. Who is paying 3000 on a GPU? Richer enthusiasts. 

People who can swing 1500 or 3000 on a card aren't stupid. Or idiots. Or morons. They just have a lot of money and can do whatever they want. Clearly that market exists, because these cards sell. They can even be thought of as loss leaders. Its all a penis measuring contest when you're selling a GPU for that much money. 

When I am asked for advice on video cards, I nearly always point people to the 280x because where I live that's the sweet spot, performs just as good as the 770 for about $50 less,  personally I have had better experience with Nvidia cards so tend to lean toward them for my own builds, but that is not to say they are better.  Just my experience.  IF someone asked me to build them a pc and they wanted the absolute best and money was no object, then I would easily be considering both options from AMD and Nvidia and I would be looking at the Z.  Apparently this makes me a fanboy.

Personally I don't mind people making jokes about the titan being too expensive, or having a shit dig at nvidia for costing more,  that's fine.  It's just the constant derisory whining that gets on my nerves.  Usually people try to justify their petulant whining with made up reasons.  It's getting to the stage now where people can't be unbiased, because if they discover something that is terrible and point it out they are instantly labeled as fanboys or worse the childish derisory echolalia that ensues undermines the seriousness of the original issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There are far, far more mITX cases with a space for a single rad than there are ones with 3 expansion slots. In most cases (hehe) you'd have to cut off the third bracket and void your $3000 card's warranty.

Seriously, I think anyone using this argument has forgotten what year we're in.

Um, what?! I'm staring at the list of mini-itx cases on pcpartpicker and i see more than half have 3 expansion slots, some 4.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

@Notional, consoles are dying. Second, those sales barely dented their massive debts. Third, their APUs are the most powerful for gaming currently, and that has mainly to do with drivers. The most powerful compute APU is Intel's Iris Pro 5200 due to its bandwidth advantage and having more efficient FPUs over AMD's. Let's also not forget the top Broadwell SKU is rated for 2TFlops (partly made possible by shaving 2 clock cycles off the Floating Point multiply/divide instructions) whereas Carrizo is still on 28nm process, meaning it can barely squeeze in more cores in addition to supposedly adding stacked memory in the form of HBM or eDRAM, neither of which will come cheap. AMD is going to outlive Nvidia, but let's not kid ourselves. AMD has dug its own grave with stupid business decisions both past and present. Carrizo is its last chance to really break into the high-money server/supercomputer world. After that, if it hasn't gained a strong footing by the time Skylake-EP launches, it's all over, and that may be a generous timeline for AMD. Broadwell-EP if it brings its top iGPU performance to the server world may be enough to topple Carrizo's enterprise derivative even without unified memory.

This is of course just my speculation based on months of following heterogeneous chip evolution, but I think you'll find it hard to disagree.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Ya i'm not able to do that at the moment because i'm on vacation. I get back in a little under two weeks but ill make sure to do make a topic then, and if I remember to i'll notify you about the topic.

Edit: But when I was able to use it  I was getting great FPS in every game except for Metro Last light. There were problems though (i.e. Drivers, scaling, and game artifactinf and flickering in some games when the second card was activated.)

Awesome waiting

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Titan Z still viewed as a gaming card? How cute

3gVSW6C.png

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

aLKoA5x_460sa.gif

post-61942-0-76417400-1409827278.jpg

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

titan z price now is 1400$

4GPIOQF.png

Ridiculous price!

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Um, what?! I'm staring at the list of mini-itx cases on pcpartpicker and i see more than half have 3 expansion slots, some 4.

Protip: Actually look at the "type" column. Also, a little common sense goes a long way. (Unless you're intentionally cheating by including mATX cases...)

@Notional, consoles are dying. Second, those sales barely dented their massive debts. Third, their APUs are the most powerful for gaming currently, and that has mainly to do with drivers. The most powerful compute APU is Intel's Iris Pro 5200 due to its bandwidth advantage and having more efficient FPUs over AMD's. Let's also not forget the top Broadwell SKU is rated for 2TFlops (partly made possible by shaving 2 clock cycles off the Floating Point multiply/divide instructions) whereas Carrizo is still on 28nm process, meaning it can barely squeeze in more cores in addition to supposedly adding stacked memory in the form of HBM or eDRAM, neither of which will come cheap. AMD is going to outlive Nvidia, but let's not kid ourselves. AMD has dug its own grave with stupid business decisions both past and present. Carrizo is its last chance to really break into the high-money server/supercomputer world. After that, if it hasn't gained a strong footing by the time Skylake-EP launches, it's all over, and that may be a generous timeline for AMD. Broadwell-EP if it brings its top iGPU performance to the server world may be enough to topple Carrizo's enterprise derivative even without unified memory.

This is of course just my speculation based on months of following heterogeneous chip evolution, but I think you'll find it hard to disagree.

You're damn right this is speculation. Holy shit. Consoles aren't dying just because you and Nvidia are against them...

titan z price now is 1400$

The price cut was for OEMs, and it wasn't even quite that deep.

Edit: Ah, you were already corrected. Sorry.

Edited by Techhog

I don't think normal person will buy that Titan crap. For gaming there are far better options with better prices like 2 GTX 780tis, 2 R9 290xs, or even a R9 295x. For computing/editing Quadros & Fire pros are superior. So, there's no smart decision to buy this overpriced piece of shit. And it's also ridiculous how some of hardcore fans defend this card, when even Nvidia itself claims this card as a gaming card. Only rich noobs will buy this card who have no idea in PC techs...

Protip: Actually look at the "type" column. Also, a little common sense goes a long way. (Unless you're intentionally cheating by including mATX cases...)

You're damn right this is speculation. Holy shit. Consoles aren't dying just because you and Nvidia are against them...

Consoles are dying because their sales have been in decline since the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox days when you account for worldwide population growth.

Consoles will go by the wayside and HTPCs with emulators will reign.

Consoles are dying because their sales have been in decline since the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox days when you account for worldwide population growth.

Consoles will go by the wayside and HTPCs with emulators will reign.

dGPU sales have been declining too...

dGPU sales have been declining too...

dGPU sales are expanding due to GPGPU acceleration in servers. Consumer side is stagnant.

crazy good deal I don't care what team you're on.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Mini-ITX supercomputer, something the 295x2 cannot do.

Did someone say Mini-ITX 295X2 ?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.98 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($208.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Plextor M6S 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card  ($1499.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix Colossus Micro MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Total: $2742.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 11:55 EDT-0400

It uses more power and costs more. That is definitely a blunder.

FreeSync ability and True audio, two of several reasons they put R9 285 into the market

Did someone say Mini-ITX 295X2 ?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ TigerDirect)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($208.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Plextor M6S 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Video Card ($1499.99 @ Newegg)

Case: BitFenix Colossus Micro MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ TigerDirect)

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $2742.86

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 11:55 EDT-0400

FreeSync ability and True audio, two of several reasons they put R9 285 into the market

That's a micro- atx case. That's cheating. No mini-itx case is long enough to host the 295x2.

That's a micro- atx case. That's cheating. No mini-itx case is long enough to host the 295x2.

deal_with_it_macgyver_edition-69729.gif

deal with it

My bad, I just checked PC part picker and Node 304 will fit 295X2

My bad, I just checked PC part picker and Node 304 will fit 295X2

Independent tests show the drive cage has to be removed for that to work, and there are not side mountings.

Titan Z still viewed as a gaming card? How cute

Straight from Nvidia on Nvidia's official Titan Z product page: GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Z is a gaming monster, the fastest graphics card we’ve built to power the most extreme PC gaming rigs on the planet. Stacked with 5760 cores and 12 GB of memory, this dual GPU gives you the power to drive even the most insane multi-monitor displays and 4K hyper PC machines.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit