AMD Radeon R9 295X2 price goes down, makes Titan-Z look like a joke to gamers

Bloodyvalley

Can you name 6 games that make extensive use of PhysX?

999 dollars makes this the same price as the single-core Titan Black. That's pretty damn impressive power per dollar.

Why don't you go look up the number of games that have PhysX?  All I know is there are significant titles that make use of it and every game I play that does make use of it looks better with it on.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

All fanboy-ism aside. I fairly proud of AMD in the graphics sector this year. Good affordable graphic card and nice APUs. 

Something ya need to know for me is that i like to cheer on underdogs, because it keeps the big boys in check. :D

All fanboy-ism aside. I fairly proud of AMD in the graphics sector this year. Good affordable graphic card and nice APUs. 

Something ya need to know for me is that i like to cheer on underdogs, because it keeps the big boys in check. :D

The blunder that is Tonga negated a lot of the good they've done this year.

The blunder that is Tonga negated a lot of the good they've done this year.

It's not really a blunder. The 285 is proving itself to be better than the 280 on a number of games out of the box. Driver improvements will take care of the rest.

Still, I'm to gonna hold my breath. Carrizo is either going to be a massive disappointment, expensive, or both. There's just no logical reason onboard HBM is going to be cheaper than eDRAM which was already cheap and is supposedly the reason Intel's Iris Pro SOCs are expensive (which I kinda doubt).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's not really a blunder. The 285 is proving itself to be better than the 280 on a number of games out of the box. Driver improvements will take care of the rest.

Still, I'm to gonna hold my breath. Carrizo is either going to be a massive disappointment, expensive, or both. There's just no logical reason onboard HBM is going to be cheaper than eDRAM which was already cheap and is supposedly the reason Intel's Iris Pro SOCs are expensive (which I kinda doubt).

I'm so conflicted by you defending an amd product.

you're scaring me.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

the titan/titan black/titan-z are not gaming cards. this whole thread is now irrelevant. 

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

It uses more power and costs more. That is definitely a blunder.

the titan/titan black/titan-z are not gaming cards. this whole thread is now irrelevant. 

They are hybrid compute/gaming cards. Stop telling Nvidia that they're wrong. If they were meant to be closer to Quadro than GeForce, they wouldn't be named "GeForce." Seriously, I'm about ready to just add everyone who spews this fanboy drivel to my ignore list, since that level of fanboyism makes me highly doubt that you have anything intelligent to say ever.

They are hybrid compute/gaming cards. Stop telling Nvidia that they're wrong. If they were meant to be closer to Quadro than GeForce, they wouldn't be named "GeForce." Seriously, I'm about ready to just add everyone who spews this fanboy drivel to my ignore list, since that level of fanboyism makes me highly doubt that you have anything intelligent to say ever.

so what youre tryna tell me is that titan z is a reasonable gaming card when 2 780ti's have near the same performance for less than half the price? i mean call titan z whatever you want, ill call it stupid. its not fanboying, its simply a fact.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

so what youre tryna tell me is that titan z is a reasonable gaming card when 2 780ti's have near the same performance for less than half the price? i mean call titan z whatever you want, ill call it stupid. its not fanboying, its simply a fact.

You're tell me that Titan Z is a reasonable compute card when 2 Titan Blacks offer superior performance for 2/3rds of the price? 

Do you see how stupid that sounds? The fact that you can't distinguish between fact and opinion makes me doubt your intelligence even more.

I think what any sane person is trying to say is, that the Titan Z is an overpriced, underperforming crap card, and you'd have to be an idiot with too much money, and too little sense to buy it. Not only does the 295x2 blow it out of the water in both performance AND price, but like you said yourself, even nvidias own cards (actually even the titan blacks) are better AND cheaper.

All Titans are Geforce branded gaming cards, with Geforce gaming drivers. None of them supports quadro drivers and they don't have ecc vram. They are gaming cards in every sense, except overprice. Nvidia brands and markets them as gaming cards. There really isn't a discussion about it what so ever. Nvidia has spoken, it is fact.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You're tell me that Titan Z is a reasonable compute card when 2 Titan Blacks offer superior performance for 2/3rds of the price? 

Do you see how stupid that sounds? The fact that you can't distinguish between fact and opinion makes me doubt your intelligence even more.

sorry to interrupt you sir, but the main reason why Nvidia marketed Titans as gaming card is that, Gaming industry has the larger market...

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R

when did i say titan z was a reasonable anything card? i think its a waste of market (in some ways, other than competition with amd) and tbh there really is no need for it with todays tech.

I think what any sane person is trying to say is, that the Titan Z is an overpriced, underperforming crap card, and you'd have to be an idiot with too much money, and too little sense to buy it. Not only does the 295x2 blow it out of the water in both performance AND price, but like you said yourself, even nvidias own cards (actually even the titan blacks) are better AND cheaper.

All Titans are Geforce branded gaming cards, with Geforce gaming drivers. None of them supports quadro drivers and they don't have ecc vram. They are gaming cards in every sense, except overprice. Nvidia brands and markets them as gaming cards. There really isn't a discussion about it what so ever. Nvidia has spoken, it is fact.

tell that to @Techhog kthx

I'm so conflicted by you defending an amd product.

you're scaring me.

I'm objective. That's what pisses off a number of people here and frightens others. Just because AMD makes very stupid business decisions which threaten its future existence and ability to compete in the short and long term doesn't mean I can't compliment their engineering feats.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It uses more power and costs more. That is definitely a blunder.

The TDP is higher but the actual power usage is the same. More transistors=more heat and more performance/clock.

when did i say titan z was a reasonable anything card? i think its a waste of market (in some ways, other than competition with amd) and tbh there really is no need for it with todays tech.

Mini-ITX supercomputer, something the 295x2 cannot do.

I'm objective. That's what pisses off a number of people here and frightens others. Just because AMD makes very stupid business decisions which threaten its future existence and ability to compete in the short and long term doesn't mean I can't compliment their engineering feats.

Agreed, the level on fanboism of some people irritates me alot they just don't know how or when to quit seriously

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R

This. 

So many children here think its only one brand or another and that you NEED to hate everything else that everyone else makes. 

I think AMD makes stupid decisions, I think AMD also has some cheaper cards (280s for 200...hells yea) and I think Nvidia has better software and drivers, I think EVGA has better warranty and CS (sadly I've had to use it, but its been a great process) and I think that you need to balance the views. 

The 295x2 is gaming and nothing else. The Titan Z is rendering and gaming at once, Nvidia wasn't playing around with this card. Is it overpriced? Sure, according to 12 year olds who wouldn't buy one. Just like the 295x2. Who the hell is paying 1500 on a GPU? Enthusiasts. Thats who. Who is paying 3000 on a GPU? Richer enthusiasts. 

People who can swing 1500 or 3000 on a card aren't stupid. Or idiots. Or morons. They just have a lot of money and can do whatever they want. Clearly that market exists, because these cards sell. They can even be thought of as loss leaders. Its all a penis measuring contest when you're selling a GPU for that much money. 

Lol yeah, you're so "objective" that you make up your own "facts" and outright lie: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/208498-nvidia-slams-amd-freesync-we-cant-comment-on-pricing-of-products-that-dont-exist/page-5#entry2836602

Everyone knows that AMD is a smaller player now, but everyone also forgets, that AMD controls 100% of the next gen console market (XBone/PS4/WiiU) as well as the most powerful APU on the market. APU's will eat away the lowend market for Nvidia within a few years, forcing Nvidia to focus on more highend. It's called asymmetry of motivation, using disruptive technologies, and it completely destroys large established companies from the ground up. In the long run AMD is a lot stronger than Nvidia. There is nothing Nvidia has, that AMD do not. The other way around is not the case.

Løl a Titan Z dumps more than half its heat inside the case. No Mini ITX case can handle that. The 295x2 exhaust all the GPU heat out of the case via the rad, using the 120mm exhaust fan. Titan Z is pointless in any and every way. Both AMD and Nvidia provides better performing and cheaper solutions.

Edit: As @Techhog mentions, Titan Z is triple pci bracket. There is only a handful of Mini ITX cases with that many slots, and they are all relatively large, and can all accommodate a single 120mm rad.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You accused me of calling it a reasonable gaming card...

There are far, far more mITX cases with a space for a single rad than there are ones with 3 expansion slots. In most cases (hehe) you'd have to cut off the third bracket and void your $3000 card's warranty.

Seriously, I think anyone using this argument has forgotten what year we're in.

Everyone knows that AMD is a smaller player now, but everyone also forgets, that AMD controls 100% of the next gen console market (XBone/PS4/WiiU) as well as the most powerful APU on the market. APU's will eat away the lowend market for Nvidia within a few years, forcing Nvidia to focus on more highend. It's called asymmetry of motivation, using disruptive technologies, and it completely destroys large established companies from the ground up. In the long run AMD is a lot stronger than Nvidia. There is nothing Nvidia has, that AMD do not. The other way around is not the case.

Hmm i can't say much about this statement.. but i have to agree and to disagree at the same time..

• We could say that Future Games / Application could be hardware demanding

- APU's will be powerful enough to power them up

- Nvidia MIGHT catch up with AMD's APU, meaning they'll invent APU of their own version or something i dunno

• Chips or Components will much cheaper since newer technology or materials are being used to create these. so we could say that components will be much more affordable that way end users could have high end gaming pc's.. still im just assuming

so i dunno who will dominate the future.. We could also include Intel since they're making their move on creating their iGPU's more and more powerful...