What's something so overrated but not actually that good?

RainbowPee

The importance of internet forum users.   :ph34r:  true though.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Please people, try Linux.

Too bad software devs nor major game devs have no love for Linux... If more software would be made / converted for Linux (including games), I'd probably ditch Windows.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Too bad software devs nor major game devs have no love for Linux... If more software would be made / converted for Linux (including games), I'd probably ditch Windows.

Completely agree mate. Problem is that most software devs just don't want to put in the time to make software Linux compatible when so many more people use Windows.

Completely agree mate. Problem is that most software devs just don't want to put in the time to make software Linux compatible when so many more people use Windows.

And Wine doesn't necessarily help (it's not a Windows emulator, after all. Just runs .exe files) with like steam games. Sure, some software would run no problem, but for playing games Windows is still pretty much necessary.

Hmm... Maybe I'd install some Linux disto alongside Windows. Got so much empty HDD space and don't know what to do with it, so...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

And Wine doesn't necessarily help (it's not a Windows emulator, after all. Just runs .exe files) with like steam games. Sure, some software would run no problem, but for playing games Windows is still pretty much necessary.

Hmm... Maybe I'd install some Linux disto alongside Windows. Got so much empty HDD space and don't know what to do with it, so...

Go for it! Oh, and if this is going to be your first time installing a distro I'd recommend going with Xubuntu :)

Beats and consoles.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

• Fashionable audio gear

cdr-king (they sell almost everything (including a USB-powered fridge))

Samsung (Screw Touchwiz to hell! What do you mean I can't use my external speakers on your cheapest 32"!? I've got a cheaper one that does audio pass-through!)

Apple (I used to like the classic iPod, never got the chance to own one.. Might've regretted it due to iTunes (software) which I hate with a passion)

i5s & i7s (yeah you heard me!)

APUs

nVidia Graphics Cards (from experiencing the 650Ti)

GSync

PhysX

High-end graphics cards in general

"Audiophile"

"Pro"

"Gamer"

1080p (I sit with my face around 3 ft from a 1366x768 18.5" screen)

Water cooling

Cooler Master 212* (shit's expensive as fuck here)

Go for it! Oh, and if this is going to be your first time installing a distro I'd recommend going with Xubuntu :)

Actually had some experience with Ubuntu and Lubuntu on my old desktop and laptop. All of my family's computer's (except mine and my sister's laptop that's charger is broken) runs on Ubuntu. First time using Linux on main rig, though. Maybe I'll try ZorinOS now.

Let's now stick to the topic...

What's something so overrated but not actually that good?

My face... apparently it's quite nice, I don't see the appeal.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not sure if I've said it or not, but the One Plus One. YOUR PRODUCT CAN'T KILL FLAGSHIPS IF YOU CAN'T BUY IT! Esspecially with iPhone 6 and Note 4 set to come out next month and the LG G3 out earlier this year.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

SNIP

Wow

Any reasons for all of those that you think are overrated? I seriously do not understand how some of those are overrated and not good

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wow

Any reasons for all of those that you think are overrated? I seriously do not understand how some of those are overrated and not good

I tend to focus on price-performance ratios and mid to long-term returns... This should explain some of them...

As for i5s and i7s, you can get something cheaper and it should perform acceptably (on my standards)...

APUs are being marketed right now as something like an FX-ish chip...

Samsung is overrated as it is (esp. in my country... wherever you go, there would be at least 1 samsung phone in the vicinity, and I tried to set-up the audio for my relative's TV system (a 32" Samsung, not sure which model but it's one of the lower-end ones) only to find out that it can't do audio pass-through via RCA cables...

GSync, there's a VESA standard for that...

PhysX, is this still even relevant? I haven't encountered one person (IRL) who stated PhysX as a deal-making factor....

"Audiophile" stuff can become a marketing term and I've encountered some stuff...

Same with "Pro", and "Gamer"

1080p, sure it's nice and clear, but it doesn't matter to me too much, especially since it taxes the fuck out of budget systems...

4K, as much as you try to push it, it's still overrated until it can reach the midrange, with acceptable performance...

Water Cooling, I've seen comparable performance with air cooling, also it adds another possible point of failure which can compromise the whole system...

High-end graphics cards are money sinks, and the addiction to the hardware that they trigger...

But these are just my opinions, so feel free to hate all you want...

But these are just my opinions, so feel free to hate all you want...

I did not come here to argue :) you are free to have opinions

Just wanted to hear your reasons, not going to sit here and debate them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I did not come here to argue :) you are free to have opinions

Just wanted to hear your reasons, not going to sit here and debate them

Sorry about the abrasive language...

Aww, c'mon man. What else did we have back then? It was either cs or sc:bw.

Or RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Titan GPU's, iOS, IPhone and iPad, Android Wear and smart watches in general, PewDiePie, and SwiftKey.

Every product with "Gaming" in the name

Titan GPU's, iOS, IPhone and iPad, Android Wear and smart watches in general, PewDiePie, and SwiftKey.

This. Definitely this!

I used SwiftKey for a week, and while it was a bit more responsive, it was worse than the stock android keyboard in every way. The auto-correct in SwiftKey is utter shite, it only goes wrong, never correctly. Can't turn that damn auto-correct off, and with all the typos and wrong corrections, it was way slower to type with SwiftKey.

Your experience might be different, but I personally don't like it.

600 Dollar/Euro smartphones. I regret getting an S4, I only listen music on it and use whatsapp. The games are garbage and there's no useful app that needs that kind of hardware.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :D  :lol:

That was easily one of the funniest things I have ever read so I agree with your laughter lol

Life.

jk

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black