Avast recovers data from "wiped" Android phones bought on Ebay.

AMICLG

What if you'd do it multiple times, let's just say 20 times as just an example. Would then most files be corrupt enough to be unrecoverable or would most files still be recoverable without issues?

Yes, 20 times should be more than enough. In practice, 2-3 times is acceptable.

I don't think anybody will buy used phones off of ebay and remove the flash and use a P-ROM programmer to read the data off each individual chip, but apparently Avast might.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yes, 20 times should be more than enough. In practice, 2-3 times is acceptable.

I don't think anybody will buy used phones off of ebay and remove the flash and use a P-ROM programmer to read the data off each individual chip, but apparently Avast might.

eBay is the place those type of people would go. You have access to a bunch of people trying to make extra money off an old device instead of selling it for 50 cents to Gamestop or those commercials. They more than likely did nothing to wipe them beyond resetting to factory settings.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Download lots and lots of terms of service manuals. Like loads, raw txt ones, and fill your phone with them. Wipe it, and fill it again with them. No one reads them so therefore all information previously their is safe.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

a lot of missing info here

this is only possible with device pre-trim  support AKA pre android 4.3

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

'This guy was really into anime pron'

Best quote of 2014 by far

EDIT: Wooop, 1000 posts

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Wow thats really cool and fucking scary holy shit. I won't ever sell my phone now.

Project Restomod (In progress)

so if this is the case with android what about IOS can you still pull data off iphone as well if they have been wiped ?

| Corsair 900D | i7-4770K | ASUS Maximus VI Formula | SLI ASUS Geforce GTX780 | EK & Alphacool WaterCooling | 

| Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 32GB | | Two Corsair Neutron GTX Series 240GB SSD | Corsair AX1200i |

| Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Two Seagate Barracuda 4TB  | Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit |http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189392-corsair-900d-sli-watercooled-refresh-and-new-setup/#entry2550514

ITT: There are some sick and lonely people

In this thread?

Dude we're on the Internet.... Most people here are like that.

That being said though, I will only be giving my phones to friends and family or recycling them.  They won't give two shits about trying to restore my old data.

In theory would encrypting the phones volume before wiping it solve it, surely that'd garble the filesystem data enough right?

But I'm not really an expert and I only sell my phones to family who aren't technically competent enough to do that kind of thing :P

Vast majority of Android devices out there are pre-Android 4.3, however.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

One of my older phones broke, so I borrowed someone else's spare phones... One thing lead to another.... Aaaaaaand I kinda loaded a different phones everything onto it and completely bricked it. 6 months later the guy fixed it the old fashioned way, wires and bits and bobs to miscellaneous bits of metal and loaded the phones OS back onto it that way... Needless to say, after he read all my text messages and saw my pictures... Quite an awkward conversation was had, especially since that was in my more juvenile years..

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Not bad.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Most being sold are pre 4.3 but never the less I'll add it in. (did it late last night)

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Lol, also if you are bored, get a random hdd and recover it. I'm 99% sure there will be some surprising stuff on that thing!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'll have to install a furnace in my back yard so I can melt all contents of old Hard Drives and phones....

Gotta use that Odin for samsung , rsd lite for Motorola etc.

>write over partition with 0's

> get tons of pictures of potatos on your phone

> wipe it

> be happy.

you sir are brilliant ... potatoes thousands of potato pics hahaahahahah lol the face on the hacker would be priceless  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Open the back, rip out all the flash chips, and toss them in the trash.

Wait, you mean before selling it? It's impossible to completely wipe.

If your phone has trim just full it to the max with random stuff (recommends pics of a potato ) then delete it all. the trim  should activate and wipe everything if not when the hacker recovers the data he/she will get a bunch of potato pics alone. Another method is to reinstall  the os and during the install format the flash chip (basically a guaranteed wipe of EVERYTHING) .  (odin for samsung, sp-flash tool for devices with mediatek chips and other tools depending on the chip you have.)

EDIT: quoted the wrong post ._. 

ment to quote this:

Anyone know a way to completely wipe a phone?

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))