Yusuf Mehdi defends original Xbox One policies

Rafy

While Microsoft has generally made the right decisions in reversing its policies, it is oft-forgotten that in, doing so, some genuinely good features have been lost, such as the ability to be able to access your games library form different consoles, and sharing games with your friends digitally. Is there a way back round to these ideas without upsetting people?

“I think it was the right vision,” says [Chief of Marketing and Strategy Yusuf ] Mehdi. “I think a digital future for games is the way to go. I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc. If we had more dialogue with our fans, we would have heard more loud and clear that this was important and we would have delivered that future. If we had done that maybe we would have gotten to a better place. Who knows, maybe fans would have said no, let’s skip the disc and give me those features.”

In an interview with Tom Hoggins: Telegraph

This guy needs to shut up, all these features that were removed don't need always online to work.

This guy needs to shut up, all these features that were removed don't need always online to work.

I actually agree with some of the original policies/features the Xbox One originally had

Although yeah , some of those features could still be made available, there was no real reason to take out all the feature or they could have been modified in a  way that pleased consumers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think a good portion of the forum kinda doesn't care about the Xbone or talk of it's idiotic mood swings in policies. Topics like these kinda feel really old, these threads usually devolve into mocking consoles, PC master race blah blah blah. We get it, MS goofed with the Xbone. We don't have to be reminded about it constantly.

I think a good portion of the forum kinda doesn't care about the Xbone or talk of it's idiotic mood swings in policies. Topics like these kinda feel really old, these threads usually devolve into mocking consoles, PC master race blah blah blah. We get it, MS goofed with the Xbone. We don't have to be reminded about it constantly.

Yeah that was last years topic

This year we are more concerned with 30fps and 792p

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Maybe I'm getting old but I'd rather be concerned with getting good games regardless. All this frame rate and resolution war BS is tiring to me. Just give me good games on every platform and I'm happy. To hell with everything else.

he should just stop talking

sounds like  some one who just got dumped

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

whats the point of good frame rate and resolution when the games suck dick lmao 

Digital IS the future, but your ideas of a closed network with no competition and complete dictatorship control is NOT the future.

That's why you lost. Now I suggest you shut it before you embarrass yourself even more, hell go join Zynga, I heard you have an old friend over there already.

Which games suck, your opinion of a game is subjective.

How the game runs is something we can objectively criticize, as well as how they handled the whole online/offline aspect of the Xbox One

THe whole points of this is that it doesnt even have the GOOD frame rate and resolution :D

Yusuf and his team shoulda logged onto Steam (or any other digital distribution platform) first and see how digital is properly done and how it's widely accepted for gamers in the PC space.

*hugs gaming rig*

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Frankly, I think Sony should have just followed suit with this whole completely digital and games tied to accounts trend.  Used games need to go.  I just find it frustrating that many big youtubers, like AngryJoe defended the practice of used games.  As long as MS kept the idea of sharing games intact, which is so easy to implement I don't even know why they didn't bother, this whole DRM thing was actually a good thing.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I think Hitler was right.

That's pretty much how you sound like.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Frankly, I think Sony should have just followed suit with this whole completely digital and games tied to accounts trend.  Used games need to go.  I just find it frustrating that many big youtubers, like AngryJoe defended the practice of used games.  As long as MS kept the idea of sharing games intact, which is so easy to implement I don't even know why they didn't bother, this whole DRM thing was actually a good thing.

Please explain how even more restrictive DRM, and not being able to buy used games is in any way good for anyone except Microsoft, because I can't think of a single one.

Personally I think DRM is cancer and should die out, and I am a big supporter of GOG for this reason. Hell the only reason why I put up with Steam is because I am forced to use it for certain games, and because they got really cheap games. Otherwise I would never use it.

Maybe you can give me a few reasons why DRM is good.

As for Yusuf defending Xbox, of course he does. He is the chief of marketing. I don't think someone in charge of marketing would say "yeah we basically pissed all over our fans and when they got mad we had to remove all the stuff we had added for the sole purpose of moving more money from their pockets to ours".

Please explain how even more restrictive DRM, and not being able to buy used games is in any way good for anyone except Microsoft, because I can't think of a single one.

Personally I think DRM is cancer and should die out, and I am a big supporter of GOG for this reason. Hell the only reason why I put up with Steam is because I am forced to use it for certain games, and because they got really cheap games. Otherwise I would never use it.

As for Yusuf defending Xbox, of course he does. He is the chief of marketing. I don't think someone in charge of marketing would say "yeah we basically pissed all over our fans and when they got mad we had to remove all the stuff we had added for the sole purpose of moving more money from their pockets to ours".

I don't have an issue with DRM or MS controlling the process solely, however the prices and conditions must be fair.  If they offer game swapping or secondhand selling on their network and the prices for the games new aren't inflated then I don't see why it is an issue.  All the software/games I use are legit and paid for and regardless of whether I bought digital or a disc from a shop the results are the same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You're wrong about the last part. I was invited to go to the Microsoft HQ here in Italy for a demo of the Xbox One and I spoke directly to the head Xbox person there and we did at some point talk about the initial message that went out. He said to me and I quote: "Our initial messaging was f*cked up and  unclear, it was our own fault. We really see the value of some features we announced we just went about it the wrong way." and went on about the confusion/misinformation of the press that they caused.

I don't have an issue with DRM or MS controlling the process solely, however the prices and conditions must be fair.  If they offer game swapping or secondhand selling on their network and the prices for the games new aren't inflated then I don't see why it is an issue.  All the software/games I use are legit and paid for and regardless of whether I bought digital or a disc from a shop the results are the same.

Well outside of the other terrible things about DRM, Microsoft didn't plan on allowing secondhand games or game swapping. Once you put a disc into the original Xbone, it would forever be locked to that particular Xbone (or maybe it was account).

The game being a download or a disc does not have anything to do with DRM by the way. Pretty much all games sold on discs are also infected with DRM, so I am not really sure why you're bringing that up.

You're wrong about the last part. I was invited to go to the Microsoft HQ here in Italy for a demo of the Xbox One and I spoke directly to the head Xbox person there and we did at some point talk about the initial message that went out. He said to me and I quote: "Our initial messaging was f*cked up and  unclear, it was our own fault. We really see the value of some features we announced we just went about it the wrong way." and went on about the confusion/misinformation of the press that they caused.

I don't see how I am wrong. The person you spoke to admitted that they made a mistake, but he tried to twist their mistake into sounding like something good. I don't see how what they did could in any way be seen as "valued features" for the consumer.

I am sure Microsoft saw the value in their absolutely horrendous plans, but only because they would have extracted more money from consumers if they hadn't called them out on the bullshit.

Saying "we were unclear in the way we presented things" is not the same as admitting that their plan was awful.

I don't have an issue with DRM .

My gf bought madden off the xbox live store and her internet cut out for a week and she couldn't even play the game she bought with her hard earned money!

Well outside of the other terrible things about DRM, Microsoft didn't plan on allowing secondhand games or game swapping. Once you put a disc into the original Xbone, it would forever be locked to that particular Xbone (or maybe it was account).

The game being a download or a disc does not have anything to do with DRM by the way. Pretty much all games sold on discs are also infected with DRM, so I am not really sure why you're bringing that up.

I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc

If their DRM allows for swapping like what we used to be able to do with games discs, then what is wrong with DRM? 

My post was two pronged,

1. nothing wrong with going all digital and MS having sole control if the terms and conditions are fair.

2. Locking a game to one user at a time doesn't sound like an issue, so if DRM allows swapping selling then why is DRM an issue?

My gf bought madden off the xbox live store and her internet cut out for a week and she couldn't even play the game she bought with her hard earned money!

That's not a DRM issue that's a service issue.

EDIT: if their server went down and that restricted her from playing, then they would be responsible, but you can't hold any company other than your ISP/Telco responsible for your internet connection.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's not a DRM issue that's a service issue.

EDIT: if their server went down and that restricted her from playing, then they would be responsible, but you can't hold any company other than your ISP/Telco responsible for your internet connection.

But its a single player game why cant u just play the game u bought? why does it need to be connected to the internet to play it? i dont get it why do they need u online to play a single player game u dont need to connect to anyone its not multiplayer.

also living in Australia u know how terrible our internet is.

Topics like this make me miss the 90's where all you had to do was bring a cart to friends house and you could play. No BS strings attached, it was simple. Used to trade and borrow games with classmates all the time back in the day, good times. With ISPs in many places still being embarrassing with either slow speed or shady throttling, all digital is not going to work right now. For the digital model, you can't simply share a game with someone, it's more or less registered to you.

Online only is a terrible policy that I can't imagine why anyone would even support this in good conscious. If my internet was down and I wanted to play Civ V, I can do this by running Steam offline. I don't want to be locked out of a game I paid for because of dumb reasons, that's just stupid. I couldn't give two rat butts about cloud or always online. I want my games to be local and playable at all times. (sans online multiplayer, but that's kinda obvious). For consoles, you should NEVER under any circumstances be told what you can or can not do with the disc you paid for. Whether you want to play at home or bring the game to a buddies house. If installs and saves are an issue to enforce dumb restrictions, develop high density cartridges.

I believe this is why the console model is dying. Stupid restrictions and lots of fussiness for what is supposed to be the more friendly simple gaming system vs a gaming PC. Consoles are supposed to be plug in play. Not be riddled with DRM and needing the internet for single player. Nothing about that makes sense.

But its a single player game why cant u just play the game u bought? why does it need to be connected to the internet to play it? i dont get it why do they need u online to play a single player game u dont need to connect to anyone its not multiplayer.

also living in Australia u know how terrible our internet is.

Because she is not getting any other benefit from "always on" it it doesn't sound fair and should be addressed in the DRM.  In my mind (and what I am trying to say) is that DRM should only prevent duplicate copies of each game from being played.  However that is to be achieved I don't know, but as I said earlier "I don't have an issue with DRM or MS controlling the process solely, however the prices and conditions must be fair" by that I mean people get what they pay for.

+1 on the Australian internet thing,

Topics like this make me miss the 90's where all you had to do was bring a cart to friends house and you could play. No BS strings attached, it was simple. 

Goldeneye 4 player split screen FTW!... Actually let's go back a bit further.  SUPER MARIO KART BATTLE MODE!!!!

I miss those days too  :(

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr