Apple defines specs for Lightning headphones with 48kHz output

ars technica: Apple defines specs for Lightning headphones with 48kHz output

9TO5 MAC: http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/apple-introduces-mfi-specs-for-lightning-cable-headphones-support-arriving-in-future-ios-update/

So "Apple has created a new specification for its Made for iPhone (MFi) program that will allow OEMs to make headphones that use the Lightning port instead of the standard headphone jack." Apparently this will allow "headphones that use the specification will apparently be able to receive 48kHz digital stereo output, and headsets with integrated microphones will be able to send 48kHz digital mono input. The headphones could additionally send other kinds of input to the iDevice, including the ability to control playback or launch specific applications." I know nothing about headphones....well almost nothing...but this just seems like an excuse for Apple to have more proprietary bs. That aside it seems pretty cool.

Why would i want headphones that limit myself to a single use. I personally will never buy apple products, also doesn't this limit using your headphones and charging at the same time which I do all the time with my phone. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Is 48khz a lot?

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Is 48khz a lot?

yep

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

wow, i hope ipod users have deeper pockets

We do

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Wow..

This is far worse than any far-fetched idea I could have come up with when I frrst heard about the Apple Beats acquisition.

I 100% agree with you linus. Whats the point of doing this anyways? im pretty sure people prefer headphones that they can use anything with them, not just apple products :/

Life.exe is missing

Whats the point of doing this anyways?

Money, it's all about money and greed, and I bet anything Apple will be successful with these headphones ( shaking head)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

LMFAO WTF

Are you serious apple?  LETS TURN BEATS INTO HI-FIDELITY BEATS. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This is....................Stupid!

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Is 48khz a lot?

It's not the highest sample rate for audio. Personally I'd be amazed if anybody can tell the difference between 44.1khz (Audio CD sample rate) and 48khz. The absolute highest frequency humans can perceive is 22khz (although most can't). you have to take 'a bit more' than double as a sample rate to accurately represent that 22khz Waveform, hence 48khz was chosen as a good standard. The higher the sample rate the more accurately the waveform will be represented. hence sample rates of 96khz, 192khz and higher. Other factors affect what rate is chosen, such as whether it will be used with video.

This is all irrelevant though because higher sample rates have absolutely nothing to do with a 'lightning connector' that's just propriety, marketing, locking gullible people into a platform BS. But that's what we expect from Apple.

wut? I mean come on the proprietry headphones that come with samsung phones are bad enough and their practically free

It's not the highest sample rate for audio. Personally I'd be amazed if anybody can tell the difference between 44.1khz (Audio CD sample rate) and 48khz. The absolute highest frequency humans can perceive is 22khz (although most can't). you have to take 'a bit more' than double as a sample rate to accurately represent that 22khz Waveform, hence 48khz was chosen as a good standard. The higher the sample rate the more accurately the waveform will be represented. hence sample rates of 96khz, 192khz and higher. Other factors affect what rate is chosen, such as whether it will be used with video.

This is all irrelevant though because higher sample rates have absolutely nothing to do with a 'lightning connector' that's just propriety, marketing, locking gullible people into a platform BS. But that's what we expect from Apple.

In headphones you don't need it, but it is useful for other things. You can read about why you want above 48KHz here, in the "Oversampling" section.

That's not about headphones, but I just want to make sure we don't get more people going around saying "anything over 44.1KHz is useless".

It's not because we can hear over 24KHz, but because digital filters can easily create audible distortion if your sampling rate is just above what you need.

I think this is incredibly stupid by the way. First of all, who wants to use a lightning cable for their headphones? Great, now we got a bulkier connector for them, exactly what nobody has asked for. Secondly, who wants to buy a pair of headphones which only works with their iPad and iPhone? Thirdly, it's a digital signal! Why put a DAC in the headphones instead of using the one in the phone? It seems so wasteful to me. Instead of having 1 good DAC, you will now have to get two. One in the phone (which they can't replace since they need it for the speakers) and one in your headphones (and a lot of companies will probably cheap out on it).

wut? I mean come on the proprietry headphones that come with samsung phones are bad enough and their practically free

Samsung phones comes with proprietary headphones? This is news to me.

no they don't. I dont know about the media buttons, but the earbuds themselves work with any phone or device.

And then they would sell Lightning-to-3.5 adapter for $29

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Here's a friendly tip Apple: Look at what proprietary shit has done for Sony. Yeah it works fine when you're the top dog but that's a position that's damn difficult to maintain throughout the years, even for a giant of pretentiousness like you Apple.

-------

Current Rig

-------

In headphones you don't need it, but it is useful for other things. You can read about why you want above 48KHz here, in the "Oversampling" section.

That's not about headphones, but I just want to make sure we don't get more people going around saying "anything over 44.1KHz is useless".

It's not because we can hear over 24KHz, but because digital filters can easily create audible distortion if your sampling rate is just above what you need.

Yeah dude, I agree which is why I said "The higher the sample rate the more accurately the waveform will be represented." For certain applications you need higher accuracy, there's no debate about that. I wasn't saying 44.1khz is all you'd ever need in any circumstance.

My point between not hearing the the difference of 44.1khz vs 48khz was down to the fact I've already heard some Apple fanboys say stuff like we need to drop 3.5mm connections and move to 48khz "HD-Audio" which is clearly fucking ridiculous. We're talking playback on mobile devices here most likely with compressed lossy audio. It's almost completely irrelevant whether it's 48khz or 44.1khz and it has literally nothing to do with 3.5mm.

/sigh

It makes my head hurt.

Seems like a pretty poor excuse for an obvious attempt to squeeze money. C'mon Apple, you didn't do too badly at WWDC, and now there's this BS.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Yeah dude, I agree which is why I said "The higher the sample rate the more accurately the waveform will be represented." For certain applications you need higher accuracy, there's no debate about that. I wasn't saying 44.1khz is all you'd ever need in any circumstance.

My point between not hearing the the difference of 44.1khz vs 48khz was down to the fact I've already heard some Apple fanboys say stuff like we need to drop 3.5mm connections and move to 48khz "HD-Audio" which is clearly fucking ridiculous. We're talking playback on mobile devices here most likely with compressed lossy audio. It's almost completely irrelevant whether it's 48khz or 44.1khz and it has literally nothing to do with 3.5mm.

/sigh

It makes my head hurt.

The headphones being proprietary is a major pain, but I do understand the 3.5mm connections being replaced (accompanied) by other digital ones...since the 3.5mm do carry analogue signals and rely on each devices DAC.  Imagine if they build a good quality DAC into a headphone that accepts digital audio (and not some proprietary connection), you wouldn't have to worry if a device has bad audio, instead you just have to worry if your headphones do.

Apple really needs to stop locking their devices down though

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

No self respecting audio enthusiasts would ditch their gear which utilizes headphone jacks and established brands in the business for this hipster shit.The only group I see this appealing to are those that make dubstep on their laptops.