Intel says "Buy an overclockable motherboard that disables Current Excursion Protection, Set PL1 to 4000 amps, and your i9-14900KS may burn out"

16 hours ago, sounds said:

While Intel's statement is written to hide the facts, I think the facts are simple:

1. Buy overclockable motherboard
  2. Buy i9-14900KS
  3. Overclockable enthusiast motherboard's BIOS default PL1 is "beyond Intel recommended limits"
  4. Intel blames motherboard, but CPU is already toast

False advertising maybe?

I bought a new i7-14700k, the out-of-the-box motherboard configuration turns on optimizations of "ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II"

image.png.215f8fe00219d774219017f82f268df8.png

Notice what's default. First thing I did was "Enforce All limits" and then turn XMP off so I could update the BIOS. Cause it literately would not update the BIOS with XMP on.

Right beneath that:

image.png.a4731c05e53a9b87715faeb5738a2a37.png

Note what BIOS version introduces the Intel baseline profile:

image.thumb.png.fd6b2c2a9330cccdfb56b7d87db6996b.png

Anyhow, I'm disappointed that manufacturers are still "cheating the benchmarks" after all these years. The out-of-the-box configuration should be the CPU manufacturer's settings. I don't know how these MB's pass QA checks being able to burn out the CPU.

I always found reviews of motherboards funny. Out of the box they all performed within 1% and even when all this crap was enabled, it was maybe 2%. I've not bought a single motherboard ever with premise of it giving me any extra performance. I always looked at that from perspective of what overclocking feature it offered to me.

16 hours ago, PDifolco said:

but when the BIOS default is too aggressive fault is on the board manufacturer

yes, but not when the cpu manf didn't specify exactly  - as has been mentioned there are no "safe margins" only "specs" and these defaults are within those...

maybe the manf knew, who knows, but point is this is within specs, unlike (probably) some ryzen boards where manf just ignored those margins. 

This is on intel for not providing proper safe margins  - which is why everyone's up in arms now for them blaming board makers. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I've not bought a single motherboard ever with premise of it giving me any extra performance.

If one manufacturer does something to get ahead, everyone else has to do it to keep up. So they end up all about the same anyway.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It always looks bad when they blame the customer when the problem was caused by DEFAULT BEHAVIOR. I have always found MCE to be stupid because it drives power consumption through the roof while giving single digit performance improvements in multi-threaded loads. In most games, which are still mostly limited by single thread performance, it makes no real difference. But you still get the higher voltage and heat that comes with it.

AMD has a much better handle on their AIBs. Intended behavior by default, overclocking as an option.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I always found reviews of motherboards funny. Out of the box they all performed within 1% and even when all this crap was enabled, it was maybe 2%. I've not bought a single motherboard ever with premise of it giving me any extra performance. I always looked at that from perspective of what overclocking feature it offered to me.

I was thinking that for quite some time until I saw the trash fire that is mid range AMD mother boards now. (100-160USD) Like I would not ask of those boards to be amazing overclockers but that half of the boards in that price range fail to even run the higher end chips at stock behavior is abhorrent. 

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

It always looks bad when they blame the customer when the problem was caused by DEFAULT BEHAVIOR. I have always found MCE to be stupid because it drives power consumption through the roof while giving single digit performance improvements in multi-threaded loads. In most games, which are still mostly limited by single thread performance, it makes no real difference. But you still get the higher voltage and heat that comes with it.

AMD has a much better handle on their AIBs. Intended behavior by default, overclocking as an option.

MCE used to be dope because the multithreading clocks were pretty lax. Like, my i7 920 or i7 5820K were boosting really poorly. MCE just forces all cores to run at boost clocks and not just 2 out of 8. Those chips did it no problem coz they weren't that stupid high power out of the box and they had quite some unused reserve. Even when overclocked to 4GHz and beyond, they didn't consume stupid high power.

It's different with 13900K or 14900K because they already run high power as is without doing anything. MCE just puts it so far out of the sweet spot zone it's just crazy.

Funny enough I smoked a 14900k with it just *existing* with all of the limit settings turned off.  My guess is that the default state sends way too much voltage at idle (like 1.55V). It eventually got to the point where SVID had to be set to "Intel Fail Safe" which dumps in even more voltage to get the thing stable.  And then it really easily hits TJmax.

I just said fuckit and put a non-K in.   Seems to have a way more sane VF curve and less fuckery of clock settings than you get with a K even when you're leaving everything on Auto.  There's probably a combination of Intel pushing too far and mobo vendors not bothering to define stable, validated default settings.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

12 hours ago, dogwitch said:

their a.i oc by  manf. aka boost clock and manual oc.

I understand that and that's why I said:

14 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

For most, you won't see big performance gains because they aren't setup to get them like the XOC guys are.
Mainly air and watercooling for the average user so you won't see alot gained as mentioned.

I know the difference because I am one of the XOC guys to know the difference.
For most here, XOC use doesn't apply - Instead it's done along the lines you've pointed out, if it's done at all.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:31 PM, BiotechBen said:

If Yamaha makes an engine at rates max RPM at 6000, and then it goes into a car and the redline is set at 9000rpm, and the bozo pulls up to a car meet and pins it at the red line for 20 minutes straight, is it yamaha's fault for it blowing up?

Who put the engine into the car? Yamaha, or some other manufacturer(including the 'bozo' mentioned in this quote)? Yamaha only makes bikes, so as it stands, Yamaha would be off the hook on the surface. However, if Yamaha had some internal documentation that said "officially it can reach 6000RPMs max, but many of the engines will survive 9000 for x amount of time", they may hold some of the blame, especially if someone made a car with that specific engine and contacted Yamaha about the true RPM limit of the engine. 

To the customers, the immediate manufacturer or individual would be at fault. However, that's only one layer of the onion that would be unraveled. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 4/29/2024 at 5:54 PM, sounds said:

While Intel's statement is written to hide the facts, I think the facts are simple:

1. Buy overclockable motherboard
  2. Buy i9-14900KS
  3. Overclockable enthusiast motherboard's BIOS default PL1 is "beyond Intel recommended limits"
  4. Intel blames motherboard, but CPU is already toast

False advertising maybe?

Overclocking has never been a guarantee. After all, if all or even most chips could reliably reach 3-400 mhz above the default they'd just release them with those values, or take the opportunity for a more expensive SKU.

As consumers looking to overclock, it's up to us to inform ourselves on what these chips can realistically tolerate, and (always) risk burning ours for the sake of a relatively small improvement.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

42 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Who put the engine into the car? Yamaha, or some other manufacturer(including the 'bozo' mentioned in this quote)? Yamaha only makes bikes, so as it stands, Yamaha would be off the hook on the surface. However, if Yamaha had some internal documentation that said "officially it can reach 6000RPMs max, but many of the engines will survive 9000 for x amount of time", they may hold some of the blame, especially if someone made a car with that specific engine and contacted Yamaha about the true RPM limit of the engine. 

To the customers, the immediate manufacturer or individual would be at fault. However, that's only one layer of the onion that would be unraveled. 

They used to be an engine OEM, may not be anymore? The engine in the XC90, which then went into the Gumpert Apollo was manufactured by Yamaha, and they and Toyota are teaming on hydrogen ICE powertrains.

And oh, I agree that there is multiple blame, in the engine analysis I would say maybe a better one would be Subaru with oil starvation on the EJ20? where even normal operation caused engine damage, and driving exuberantly only killed it faster?  Or maybe the THETA II GDI with Hyundai/Kia where they knew it was a flawed engine, and had manufacturing issues, and "normal" operation would lead to unexpected premature failure (ours was a great engine, and didn't have issues beyond the standard Hyundai oil guzzling).

Intel is now sending out guidance to motherboard manufacturers to enforce power limits more closely.

Intel wants Default Settings with PL1/PL2 at 125W/188W to be implemented by motherboard vendors by the end of May - VideoCardz.com

About freaking time!

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I still feel like the power limits are being used to indirectly clamp the frequency down...so it  lowers the voltage.  Reliable voltage spec on these things is 1.425V (like Nvidia, Intel calls it Vrel) but they needed more than that to hit the multi core turbo frequencies (AKA turbo boost) that marketing asked for. (yes marketing asks for specs and there's then negotiation with engineering whether it's possible or not and then there's more discussion about whether the wafer yields can support the demand at the various binning levels)

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 5/7/2024 at 2:28 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

I still feel like the power limits are being used to indirectly clamp the frequency down...so it  lowers the voltage.  Reliable voltage spec on these things is 1.425V (like Nvidia, Intel calls it Vrel) but they needed more than that to hit the multi core turbo frequencies (AKA turbo boost) that marketing asked for. (yes marketing asks for specs and there's then negotiation with engineering whether it's possible or not and then there's more discussion about whether the wafer yields can support the demand at the various binning levels)

I think the main issue are power spikes. Giving CPU basically unlimited power envelope can mean CPU can spike to +500W before it reacts to other limiting factors. All mobo manufacturers are just relying on temperature and amps being the sole limiting factors.